2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Jet Boil fuel< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 8:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I going on my first overnight pack this weekend and will be using my Jet Boil. Question I have is how long does the smaller canister last? I will probably be heating a quart of water, between dinner and breakfast. Will it last one day, two days, or three or more?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You SHOULD get 20 boils out of it. It's all I take on a 4 day trek.

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 3
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

20 boils is a vast over simplification.
If it's cold, windy, or higher elevations you could lose a lot of efficiency. Some pot materials are less efficient than others as well.
If you pack in a wind shield, it will increase how many boils you get.
You can also keep your canister inside your sleeping bag while you sleep to keep it warm, which will help as well.
It should easily last you a three night trip though, with light usage.
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At 1 quart per day, I would estimate it will last at least 10 days, being that it is a Jet Boil.  That would include the standard pot, wind screen, elevations up to 7000', and at temps down to 40*F.  

Here's a good way to find out on your own.  Carry a Sharpie and mark the side of the canister every time you use it.  Put double marks on it every time you boil more than the usual water.  I did this with a large canister and got 28 pints boiled from it.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a general rule of thumb sheriff treepacker. Of course temp, elevation and quantity of water boiled makes a difference.

So let me clarify... When I'm boiling 2 cups of water at between 8500' and 11,000' at a temp of 58*, I can get 18 1/2 boils.

Should I have asked where he/she was hiking, what they were making for meals and how much TP it took to keep the canister warm?

--------------
 Post Number: 6
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 01 2013, 10:02 pm)
Here's a good way to find out on your own.  Carry a Sharpie and mark the side of the canister every time you use it.  Put double marks on it every time you boil more than the usual water.  I did this with a large canister and got 28 pints boiled from it.

Zeke, that's exactly how I've done it in the past.

The minimum on the small canister was 18 boils. That was in the Tetons (between 7000' and 11'000') with temps above 40*. The maximum was in MI. ( 800') temps above 40* with 24 boils.

Side note: Zeke, if I had to venture a guess, your profile pic is from Hurricane Pass looking Northeast toward Middle Teton. Am I close?

--------------
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kcwins @ May 01 2013, 7:38 pm)
Side note: Zeke, if I had to venture a guess, your profile pic is from Hurricane Pass looking Northeast toward Middle Teton. Am I close?

Exactomundo, wise guy.  I was spoofing a pic GBH used to use with him at Service Falls.  Nice observation.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Should I have asked where he/she was hiking, what they were making for meals and how much TP it took to keep the canister warm?

Why so snarky? I was simply adding vital information to someone who was obviously looking for it. Things like this aren't always so obvious to those who are inexperienced.
 Post Number: 9
HikingJim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With a regular canister stove, I figure on using 20g/day under normal conditions.  Windy and cold will change that number.  Double that for melting snow.

With a Jetboil, I can get by with something more like 15g/day, and that's while still having tea in the morning and cocoa in the evening in addition to two hot meals/day.

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
C17 Riddler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 01 2013, 10:02 pm)
At 1 quart per day, I would estimate it will last at least 10 days, being that iyt is a Jet Boil.  That would include the standard pot, wind screen, elevations up to 7000', and at temps down to 40*F.  

Don't need no stinking Sharpie!  I use the flathead screwdriver to just make a tick mark every time I use it.  15-20 boils (at about 1.5 cups of water per boil) is about what I average.  But I just recently started keeping track using this method.
 Post Number: 11
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ May 02 2013, 9:00 pm)

Why so snarky? I was simply adding vital information to someone who was obviously looking for it. Things like this aren't always so obvious to those who are inexperienced.

Right, but for new folks some of us have tendency to provide too much information.  In this case the OP would not have suffered any and his question was sufficiently answered, I think.

No harm no foul.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 12
tylert27 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

According to Jetboil, the 100g canisters, which are their smallest canisters, will boil approximately 10 liters of water. If you are boiling 1 quarter of water a day, the Jetboil fuel will last about 10 days since 1 liter is a little bit more than a quart.
 Post Number: 13
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get about 4-5 days out of the small canister from jetboil. The MSR cans seem to give me an extra boil or two.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 14
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 26 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am getting 18 to 20 600 ml boils out of a small canister.  Generally.

No oversimplification.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
13 replies since May 01 2013, 8:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Jet Boil fuel
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions