2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bushwhacking - Shin Protection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 9:55 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But I'm going on a bushwhack this weekend that will consist of long sections through cripplebrush, and would like some form of protection from all the blowdown, branches, and rocks that will fling themselves towards my shins. I swear that there are pixies in there that whallop shins with tiny baseball bats.

I used to wear soccer shin guards, but they're overkill and kept slipping.

I'm not a big fan of gaiters, as I find them to be too hot. But this may be my best option.

I'm going to look at knee-high football socks this afternoon. They might be OK if they're relatively thick yet breathe well... but those features typically don't go together.

Do any of y'all wear another form of shin protection, or want to weigh in with any additional thoughts?

Thanks.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure what type of soccer shinguards you have, but most adult players wear pretty lightweight shinguards that are held up by a highly breathable mesh sleeve that fits snugly around the calves. Seems like it could work without being *too* hot.
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use OR low gaiters to keep the scree out. In regards to my shins in summer, if it gets real bad, I'll put on my military rainshell...or I just bleed. I haven't worn shin guards but that's not a bad idea.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ May 03 2013, 10:18 am)
Not sure what type of soccer shinguards you have, but most adult players wear pretty lightweight shinguards that are held up by a highly breathable mesh sleeve that fits snugly around the calves. Seems like it could work without being *too* hot.

I have the kind that has straps on the top and bottom. After reading your post, I looked online and see that the name brands make shin guards that slip into a sleeve. That would allow me to insert the guard when the brush gets thick, and remove when the brush relents. I'll check them out. Thanks!

--------------
 Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of us in search and rescue get knee pads ala the hardware store. They make them in different sizes and shapes and out of different materials. Also packcloth gaiters. The gaiter collection continues to bloom - packcloth for brush, waterproof mountaineering gaiters for snow, shortie gaiters for scree....

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Scars from former adventures :)  

When caving I wear full length knee pads which help protect the shins.  Similar to paintball pads that might be easier to find and less expensive.
 Post Number: 7
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know this pain! I wouldn't bushwack without pants, so usually I avoid scratches or cuts unless the piercing is quite sharp (which happens of course, especially on from fallen hemlock trees). If I am wearing my chainsaw boots then they offer a lot of shin protection, but weigh about 4 lbs per piece so not ideal.

Shin-guards sound like they'd help a lot. But I don't really find it necessary to add extra protection where I am at, but I guess it depends.
 Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear the Mountain Hardwear Ascent Stretch Air Permeable Gaiters for heavy brush with a kilt.  They are lighter than winter gaiters and breath well at the back panel.

I've also used just a pair of knee high compression socks like the Injnji Performance Compression Toesocks because they are thicker than most socks but also breath well, and then I bring some knee wraps (walmart thigh neopren wraps) to protect my knees.
 Post Number: 9
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 2:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Used to wear these to protect from devil's club

http://www.filson.com/product....ct=1014

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 10
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't even worry about it anymore.  Like Tigger, I just bleed.  (It's only a flesh wound...) My shins are so incredibly scarred now that a few more won't be noticible.  Really.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 11
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How bout jeans? I know there was the whole "cotton kills" thing, but I always wear heavy cotton pants bushwhacking, and I do a lot of bushwhacking & trail work. Usually Wrangler camo or carpenter pants from WalMart.
 Post Number: 12
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ May 03 2013, 11:36 pm)
How bout jeans? I know there was the whole "cotton kills" thing, but I always wear heavy cotton pants bushwhacking, and I do a lot of bushwhacking & trail work. Usually Wrangler camo or carpenter pants from WalMart.

I'm not quite of the 'cotton kills' school, but I am of the 'denim kills' school. After a quick check, one pair of jeans weighs more than all of the clothes in my summer pack.

How about taking another pair of sox, folding them in half and using them on your shins and under the sox you're wearing? No extra weight, and you can swap them out when they get dirty.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 13
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Something like these would be light, and versatile.
http://www.soccer.com/IWCatPr....dHxcA7Q

But I wonder if they would quickly get shredded too.
 Post Number: 14
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get these!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ May 04 2013, 8:56 pm)
Get these!

:D

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I picked up these at Dick's for $20. They worked GREAT, and I barely even noticed I was wearing them. During an 18-hour bushwhack, I adjusted them 3 times. Now, does anyone have an extra MSR snowshoe to replace the one that the pixies stole from me?

http://www.mcdavidusa.com/Product....ds.aspx

--------------
 Post Number: 17
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WWBF,

I know I can walk over to Dicks myself but how much coverage did you have from those??

Knee to boot top??

I just did a fun little bushwhack last weekend up at John's Pond, it was pretty thick in most parts...I use gaiters but these look good

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ May 06 2013, 10:31 am)
WWBF,

I know I can walk over to Dicks myself but how much coverage did you have from those??

Knee to boot top??

I just did a fun little bushwhack last weekend up at John's Pond, it was pretty thick in most parts...I use gaiters but these look good

Basically, it covered an area the length of my calf muscle. It would provide "full" coverage if used with a boot.

They're in the football section of Dick's.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks,

My wife will have another reason to roll the eyes.

Beats the snot out of Skurkas' duct tape on the shins huh??

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
18 replies since May 03 2013, 9:55 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bushwhacking - Shin Protection
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions