2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Topos for tents, A pretty good idea< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 6:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out this blog post from NEMO:

http://www.nemoequipment.com/uncategorized/2013/05/4395/

I think that is a pretty good idea and I hope that the entire industry participates as it does a decent job of showing room/space much better than the old "xx cu ft floor space".

I think I will map my new TT SS2 once the snow goes away.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a big improvement. I've long discussed interior volume and it's distribution as being the critical element over and above square footage of the floor.
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool
 Post Number: 4
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very clever. It's the little (big) things that really make a difference when you're choosing a tent, especially if you're buying online.
Well done.
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice to have a ready tool for making the right trade offs.

I have a Sierra Designs Origami 2 UL penta-tipi that when you muck about with the center-hiking pole and have to batten down in bad weather, from 120cm to 100cm, it can get a bit clostrophic it the sleeping area head. I think it would make an interesting topo. No matter though, i would have bought, and now kept it, anyways.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 7
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's all nice and everything. Another marketing ploy, if you ask me. Nemo is expensive anyway.

When it comes down to it, you can try and show why a tent is the better, and if it passes muster, it gets bought. I bought my Alps Mountaineering Zenith 2 for a bunch of reasons; Price, weight, features, color, design. Never saw a topo of it. I know my sitting and laying 'footprint,' and that of my gear.

Perhaps if it weren't some 2D, androgynous outline of a humanoid, I might buy in.

In the end, I'd rather see videos, read reviews, rent, borrow, ask you knuckleheads, whatever else, to make determinations about my gear. Surely, seeing a good deal, I sometimes hit the 'Purchase' button on blind luck. And as luck goes, sometimes it works. If this were an endeavor by an independent organization, in the vein of establishing temp ratings for bags, it would seem a lot less like a novelty and more like a tool backpackers would find useful.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 8
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is an outstanding idea. So simple but has never been used. All tent suppliers should use this. Another great way to look at tents. This along with all the other means to evaluate tents, would certainly give the buyer a good look at the product.
 Post Number: 9
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always got a kick out of how they measured floor space by measuring it before it is sewn to the tent. Thus  you lose floor space due to it now  being part of the bathtub sides and being folded over for the seams.
 Post Number: 10
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great idea.  I think tarptent does some 3D stuff with their tents. Some actually overlay several models at once, which would be great if REI etc. did this across brands.

Black Diamond used to show "useable" space, which would be the same as their sleeping space.    I think they gave it up.   Folks did not understand it and it made their tents look smaller than the competition, but these diagrams would be very clear and show more info.  BD's info would have been clearer too, if they had shown the tents footprint and useable space in one place , if not the same diagram.  I found out that some of their numbers were "optimistic" on the LightHouse.  Surprised since all their weights etc. on the BetaLight were so accurate.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 11
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it would be much more effective to have real-life photos and videos of tents in use than a mechanical drawing. Manufacturers don't seem to want to take the time to set up their tents and take photos of them with people inside and next to them. That's too bad; they might be missing sales. I might buy a tent without seeing it in person if I had real-life photos and videos that help me see that shape and the useable space. Best tent salesman on the market is the corny Mr. Tent in Texas. His videos give a clear representation of tents.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah the trick will be for all the manufacturers to do it the same way (at the same points). I used to try to explain how a crossing pole on top makes such a huge difference in space between say the BA Jack Rabbit and the Seedhouse which share a common pole design. The Seedhouse and Fly Creek have a very narrow area at the high point making it quite uncomfortable for two people. The topo would show how the Jack Rabbit has enough room to actually let two sit in there.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ May 04 2013, 12:20 pm)
I always got a kick out of how they measured floor space by measuring it before it is sewn to the tent. Thus  you lose floor space due to it now  being part of the bathtub sides and being folded over for the seams.

I think you are missing the point.  It's about space above the floor dimensions.

I don't know of any tent manufacturer that lists dimensions based on pre-sewn bathtub floor fabric dimensions, but maybe you do.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well he is ripping Henry who honestly gives the measurements of his floors both ways I believe. Then Franco enthusiastically shares the max width and others focus on it. (If I am wrong please share who does this.)

Now there are some big boy makers that use the measurements of the inside and top of the fly, not the inner for their measurements, saying that that is the "protected" space. I totally disagree with that and expose (and gently ridicule) it anytime I review one.

On the whole the industry is much better now than they were say in 2005. The more informed the buyer, through outlets like this and other review sites and informed/experience-driven blogs, the more manufacturers want to do it right.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ May 04 2013, 8:41 pm)
Well he is ripping Henry who honestly gives the measurements of his floors both ways I believe.

And I think it's fair to give both for at least some of his tents, since you can actually pitch them that wide if you want.
14 replies since May 03 2013, 6:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Topos for tents
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions