2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tarptent Advice?, Squall 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
LithuanianHiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 10:29 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello!

I am considering purchasing a two person tent, the Squall 2, from Tarptent. I was wondering if anyone has ever used their tents before and what are your opinions of them? All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Although I have not personally used one, I can state that they have been talked about with positive reviews here frequently.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've seen several in action. They are really roomy & airy - more tarp than tent. They are light and withstand wind well, but can't handle a snow load. Good product.
 Post Number: 4
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Rainbow which I love. My go to tent for solo tripping

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too the Rainbow...solo. If two - Double Rainbow would be better.
4 years now and over 400 Sierra nights.

Yes, there have been some hick-ups along the way - thoughts:

Condensation problems occasionally - helps to keep door open...small towel to dry off inside morning walls.

Sun glare through the walls in afternoons prevents staying inside (mosquito conditions)...Remedy is to always try to pitch tent in afternoon shady areas.

Zipper failure after 400+ nights...wrote Henry and received new zippers free - (fricking great customer service); Cost me $5 to have a seamstress here replace professionally - Good as new. I learned that it does help to wash out zippers/teeth occasionally, especially if blowing dust conditions...clogs up the works and expands zipper.

A few holes near corners from granite rubbing due to winds. Wrote Henry again and he sent free patches...little silicone/mineral oil and again good to go.

Been rained on plenty - always stayed dry...(so far.).

Been snowed on plenty too...Tent will not handle multiple footages of wet snow but a foot, handled well...slides right off.

Winds above 50 mph - iffy.

Set-up - (pack to finished) - 3 minutes, light as hell and packs up in a side pocket.

Palatial inside for one. Best "tent" ever owned.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 6
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Double Rainbow and love it.  Can't speak to the Squall 2 but find my DR to be very well thought out and made.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 7
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I probably have too many tarptents. I've been very satisfied with them. I would say that for a little bit more weight the stratospire 2 offers a double wall, a lot more space, and is probably more storm worthy. I haven't used the squall but I've used the rainbows, moment, and stratospires.
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why the Squall 2 for you?

Without some idea of what you want a shelter for it's hard to say more than the generality that tarptent makes reliable prooducts overall whose suitability for any particular person is going to vary, hike your own hike sort of thing.

For example that front entry of the Squall 2 would be a dealbreaker for me as I prefer side entry shelters. Neither is "better" but I like side entry...
 Post Number: 9
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gotta agree with HSF. I had a Rainshadow2 (front entry) and have a Scarp2 (side entry). Never going back to front entry. I would get the Double Rainbow, for $25 more.
 Post Number: 10
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had a Cloudburst, which is similar, and which worked very well.  

I now have a Double Rainbow, which I like even better.  

As others have mentioned, it's the tunnel entry versus side entry, and I like the side entry even more than I thought I would before getting the DR.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 11
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a Squall 2 for a few years and it was a great shelter. That said I think his more modern designs are better IMO. I have the Stratospire 2, the Hogback, and the Sublite right now.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 12
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Moment. Side entry. Wonderful little tent, very lightweight. This is my grab and go tent. Can take some snow and moderate wind.
 Post Number: 13
kevperro Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried a couple (Sublite and Notch) and came back to a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 selling my Tarp Tents.  

All shelters are about tradeoffs so you have to know what is most important to you and the climate you hike in.

--------------
“He is a self-made man, very much in love with his creator.”

Benjamin Disraeli
 Post Number: 14
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Squall 2 is a fine tent, within it limitations.  It's very drafty in wind though, so it's not an ideal tent for cooler weather.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
13 replies since May 10 2013, 10:29 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tarptent Advice?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions