2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A good bag to hang my food?, My old one finally bit the dust< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 1:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just curious what everyone here is using to hang their food in these days.
I was using a heavy dry bag, but it bit the dust on my last 3 day trip.
I'm looking for something light, but cheap. It's just a food bag so I don't want to spend too much on it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ursack..I love it.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back in the day I simply used  Cordura stuffsacks (I counter hung rather than PCT or a tie off to somehting) of the appropriate size in a nice low profile brown. I wrapped the cord around the "neck" of the closed bags to keep the weather out and make a strong point for suspension (since it was nothing sewn it was holding onto but rather the solid fabric of the bags' body).
 Post Number: 4
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 13 2013, 12:57 pm)
Back in the day I simply used  Cordura stuffsacks (I counter hung rather than PCT or a tie off to somehting) of the appropriate size in a nice low profile brown. I wrapped the cord around the "neck" of the closed bags to keep the weather out and make a strong point for suspension (since it was nothing sewn it was holding onto but rather the solid fabric of the bags' body).

That's exactly how I have always done it.
 Post Number: 5
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's pretty much what I've been using actually (stuff sack), so I guess it's a pretty good option. I guess a few years of use is enough to warrant a new one.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd remembered seeing MLD having a system a while back and they still do:
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop....s_id=79

I always suspected the one weak point for hangs were if people used the drawstring to hang the bag so I never did (as then there's sewing to rip etc.). I'd cinch it tight with the drawstring and then stuff the extra insider and then tie the suspension cord directly to the gathered bag top itself (having two they were never totally tiptop full) near the top, further clamping it shut and holding the "entire" bag by solid fabric.

ETA: As to waterproof? All my food being in freezerbags or the original pouches or ziplocs I never really thought much about the waterproofness of the outer hang bag.
 Post Number: 7
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a cheap stuffsack lined with a plastic bag. I wouldn't even sacrifice a drybag.
 Post Number: 8
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use this most of the time now:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....%20Bags

While on the Border route Trail a fellow volunteer had their bag eaten into by mice. Three holes in it the next morning. (It was hung and the mice ran down the line.) Needless to say my food was fine.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 9
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stuff sack with a knot - usually worked but...

Camping near Waterwheel Falls, below Glen Aulin -
Food sack hung high, good hang - seemingly safe.
Few hours later, we looked up to see a flying squirrel swoop/glide on in,
4 set of claws latched onto our food sack, tearing it open as it fell.

Lost 2 pounds of good salami and a big chunk of smokey cheese.
...chit happens.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 10
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Stuff sack and put a Loksak Opsak in it. The STS has a small loop that a biner will go thru that is on the end of the bear rope (P-cord).
 Post Number: 11
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sil stuff sack lined with an opsack or an oven roasting bag. I have a small mesh stuff bag. Put the rock in the mesh bag, sling it over a branch haul up  the food bag and I'm done.
 Post Number: 12
bikehikefish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had some leftover sylnylon, so I sewed a bag from it.  Lightweight, compact, and bright blue so I can find the stupid thing in the woods.
 Post Number: 13
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.chicobag.com/product/original-aqua

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
12 replies since May 13 2013, 1:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A good bag to hang my food?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions