2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: tent fly question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kaya1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 4:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Howdy all---

This may be a silly question but here goes,  I have a REI quarter dome t2 and also just got a golite imogene ul2.  With both these tents when I put the rain fly on the seams on the fly don't line up with the poles under them ( the ones holding the tent up).  The seams are about 1-2 inches  off to the side.  Does this make a difference in anyway?  I can get them lined up at first but when I tighten the fly down they pull to the side.  Hope this isn't too goofy of a question, and thanks for an replys
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's normal...
 Post Number: 3
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never had a tent that lined up perfectly. It drives me nuts, but it is what it is. It's probably stronger without the seams on the poles anyway.
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 6:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The tents that have lined up nicely have only done so because the velcro straps that locked the fly to the pole (Sierra Designs and an older halfdome). Would I be concerned? Only if it created pits where water would/could stand. Otherwise, no big deal.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ May 14 2013, 5:48 pm)
It's normal...

+1 After many frustrating hours trying to line up poles and seams, I came to the same conclusion.  It's just not a perfect world.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to try to do that with the Bibler and Black Diamond tents that have Velcro strips under the stitch lines, never worked.
Now I have a shelter that has a reinforced top and bottom part of the sleeve and of course the pole slides to the non re-inforced part.(not a TT ...)
 Post Number: 7
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The velcro straps do help but I find them very tedious to use. The main problem with the poles and seams not lining up is that it can be hard to get a nice taught pitch on the fly. By the time you put in the last stake you're left with too much fabric on that side and it sags. Some tents are better/worse than others.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"By the time you put in the last stake you're left with too much fabric on that side and it sags"
That can be caused by the way the fabric panels are cut or simply because you have too much tension in one area/side/stake and or not enough on another.
Some tents relay on uneven tension to get the smooth look you see on the official website but generally if you find user pictures (Google Images) that appear to be like the showroom pics and unlike yours, it means you are not doing it right.
Particularly with non freestanding tents just the position of the tie-out (corner guyline) can make the difference .
See if you can spot the exact position from the ones that appear to be set up better than yours.
 Post Number: 9
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ May 14 2013, 5:06 pm)
I've never had a tent that lined up perfectly. It drives me nuts, but it is what it is. It's probably stronger without the seams on the poles anyway.

It'sgood to know iI'm not the only one driven crazy by that.
 Post Number: 10
kaya1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks everyone.  At least I'm not the only one driven crazy by this.
 Post Number: 11
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Uneven ground will cause that.  I'm much more annoyed when the setup causes the zippers to be too tight.  
The only time I use the hook and loop straps is when the wind is howling and I want as much strength and stability as possible.
 Post Number: 12
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ May 14 2013, 10:49 pm)
"By the time you put in the last stake you're left with too much fabric on that side and it sags"
That can be caused . . . simply because you have too much tension in one area/side/stake and or not enough on another.

That was my point. When the poles and seams don't line up it sometimes changes the tension on the fly. Often using the velcro attachments will solve the problem.
 Post Number: 13
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

we need to start a sticky about stuff like this that bugs us...

Yes, I have gone around the tent 3-4 times to assure it is lined up, (Sierra Designs tent)...cause it does bug me from the inside.

Interesting the little things that drive us nuts..

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 14
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a true shelter nut you can maybe guess how many times this has driven me nuts over the decades. Some of it is just the pitch, some is just that the sewing pattern is off. Last fall one was driving me nuts as I could NOT get it to line up no matter what I did. (An eval for a company, not a review tent.)

Bottom line is, if it works it is not a problem. As I hike mostly solo any aesthetic problems are on the outside and I can't see it when I go inside...

;-)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
13 replies since May 14 2013, 4:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply tent fly question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions