2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking tablet....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jnk556 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 7:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.meetearl.com/

I seen a link to this in my internet travels today, and all i can say is if this thing does everything it says it can, I want one now!!!  I mean GPS, weather, radio, android apps, wifi capable, it weighs 10oz and is submersible to 3ft!

It's still in it's funding stages, but I can see it taking off if they can get it to market.

I want one so bad :laugh:

I have no connection to this device at all, just sharing my findings with the board.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ugh. No.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While it's interesting, and I like the idea, it kind of defeats the purpose of getting away from it all for a lot of us.
Me, personally, I turn off my phone at the trail head and never touch it again. The last thing I want is another piece of civilization bogging me down on the trial.
However, I would like a e Reader, hypocritical as it may be. I love a good book while hunkering down during a storm.
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Naw even though kinda cool.

An e-reader is reasonable just for reading material since I take books along anyway.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I don't see the value if it doesn't have satellite transmission capability.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 6
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't carry a GPS, I don't carry a cell phone, I don't carry a SPOT

Why would anyone carry a tablet ??

I did get an eyeopening moment ~ 6 months ago at the Grand Canyon, when multiple tour buses debarked their passengers and most all of them stepped of the bus carrying not a camera, not a cell phone, but were all walking around trying to take photo's with a tablet.

Have you ever seen a 60 person plus group, walking around with their huge tablets in hand, blocking their real view ,skyping their friends, talking on phone ??

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My phone does all that (as long as I keep it in a plastic bag), weighs 5 oz, ...and it even makes phone calls.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More technology.  Just what we need when we're trying to get away from it all and get in tune with our natural surrounding.  No thanks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 7:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ May 15 2013, 10:06 pm)
However, I would like a e Reader, hypocritical as it may be. I love a good book while hunkering down during a storm.

Not hypocritical, IMHO.  Doesn't give you any contact with the outside world, just a means of carrying a ton of reading material with you for almost no weight.  I am a fairly high order technophobe, but I love my e reader, largely because it is so great for backpacking.  I have no use for tablets, smartphones, etc, either in the backcountry or anywhere else.
 Post Number: 10
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ May 15 2013, 11:28 pm)
I did get an eyeopening moment ~ 6 months ago at the Grand Canyon, when multiple tour buses debarked their passengers and most all of them stepped of the bus carrying not a camera, not a cell phone, but were all walking around trying to take photo's with a tablet.

I saw that last year at Yosemite and was stunned as well. People using large, flat, rectangular tablets as their camera.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 11
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Generally speaking those of us that came of age backpacking in the 1960's or 1970's have a different backcountry vision than those that came of age later, particularly in the last 15 years. It's quite noticeable in threads like these.

Those that are younger find little conflict with electronic technology in the backcountry... I'm in the "leave it at home" camp, but that's in no way a judgement of those that are technology-files. After all, all backpacking is technology driven and it's a personal choice where one draws the technology line.

However, I do find it particularly sad to see someone moving along a trail with an ipod glued to their ears...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Trinity @ May 16 2013, 7:27 am)
I love a good book while hunkering down during a storm.

That particular scenario is, indeed, one of life's great pleasures.  But then a good book is under any circumstances.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The first three things listed are GPS, Radio, and Weather. I don't see how any of those don't belong in the woods. The extra stuff....is just that.

Exactly why I bring my Smartphone. It's main purpose "out there" is a GPS (with maps) and electronic compass. The extra stuff (knot tying guide, plant guide, medical guide, etc) are also great to have. The phone portion, flashlight, and other things...even better. Having an E-Reader, music player and all that stuff....I could care less. Should I not bring it because I could watch a movie if I wanted to?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 14
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ May 16 2013, 9:33 am)
Generally speaking those of us that came of age backpacking in the 1960's or 1970's have a different backcountry vision than those that came of age later, particularly in the last 15 years. It's quite noticeable in threads like these.

Those that are younger find little conflict with electronic technology in the backcountry... I'm in the "leave it at home" camp, but that's in no way a judgement of those that are technology-files. After all, all backpacking is technology driven and it's a personal choice where one draws the technology line.

However, I do find it particularly sad to see someone moving along a trail with an ipod glued to their ears...

Well said.
 Post Number: 15
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was actually a geek before computers were a thing, and still remember when microwaves didn't exist, or cassette tapes.  Now I am the most well-tech'ed person of my generation that I know. I tend to have lots of electronics - right now I'm watching a movie on my tablet while typing on a 27" screen, and ordered a replacement touch screen for a phone that I'll replace myself, as I generally do. I've been fixing, building and using computers and other technology forever.

Don't need this on a backpacking trip. SAR hands a GPS unit to each person, but it's a tool to document coverage of a search area first, and a navigational aid second, and is always backed up by a map and compass. And then there is the fact that SAR work in teams, so there are three or four GPS units to back up the first one....

I won't be even looking at this for the same reasons I rarely take a GPS on leisure trips.... Electronics fail, and become dead weight. And the tablet has a solar panel going against it. If I have to sit there and wait for an item I wouldn't use to recharge it, it won't go with me.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 16
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They lost me at "radio".  I do not WANT any connection to the rest of the world when on the trail.  GPS might be nice sometimes, but honestly I've never felt a huge need.  And if it has any connectivity to the Internet, not only is it going to provide a temptation to do what one ought not do in the wilderness (surf the web) but it will require an expensive server fee or whatever you call it when you pay megabucks to have the Internet wherever you go.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

COUNT ME OUT. I HIKE AND BP TO GET AWAY FROM THIS STUFF. MAP, COMPASS, FOOD, WATER, SHELTER, FIRST AID, EMERGENCY SIGNAL. THAT'S IT!!!

NO, BAD TO THIS, HORRIBLENESS, AND A VACUOUS LACK OF ENTHUSIASM.

---MESSAGE ENDS---

And yes, I did so very much mean to yell.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 18
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got one better...good old fashion map n compass, the correct gear and check weather forcasts before you head out...works great for me

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 19
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The smaller tablet form factor is a nice practical size for a device like that, a bit of sturdiness for backcountry use is always welcomed. WiFi, non existant in backcountry areas, would, I guess, be useful for loading stuff wirelessly before a trip... With the gps it's size would make a nice backup mapping gps enabled navigation aid, assuming the gps capability was sensitive enough to be accurate in the varied condiitons out there (heavier tree cover, limited sky view, etc.).Essentially weightless flower guides etc. would be fun. AM/FM radio tends to be weak out a bit and shortwave, even were it included, has been left to wane as the internet became a better medium institutions such as BBC.

But as has been mentioned, I get that with my everyday cellphone which with the additoin of an appropriate case has a similar degree of protection. An iPad mini-size screen would be a nice thing for reading and mapping, but there's the portability issue as devices get larger... my phone has the option of being ready to hand were I to use it like that, which I do for city travel as it's a lot more convenient when on the go than dragging out my LTE iPad (granted it's the full size one).

I've seen people using full sized tablets for photos and other than the quality of the camera (?) I don't see the issue: if it's the digital device they've got why not? Far less expensive than a cellphone with that $%*&% expensive voice plan and they may have been international tourists who left their phone packed away because they don't want to get slammed for international roaming, so they grab their tablet that they read stuff on (travel guides etc.). Having a bigger viewfinder isn't anything I've ever heard anyone complain about. :)

In the sixties I got in the habit of choosing from amongst the available advanced tech, for stoves, clothing, shelter and navigation and I've continued with that practise up to today, both for the fun and my own comfort.

As an aside anyone who thinks that a paper mapsheet isn't a product of amazingly cutting edge technology could benefit from a  visit to the National Air & Space Museum where they lay out all the high end satellite, digital processing and computerization analyisis that goes into that product. We're way beyond the age of some guy in woolens dragging a chain across the mountains... possibly why there's a lot less empty space with "Here there be Dragons" written in it...
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After looking at the thing a little more, I'm retracting my earlier comment. The primary thing that catches my eye is the thing will function as an e-reader and considering I've killed 2 already with inadvertent rough treatment.... I dropped one and sat on the other.

I've been looking for a new and tougher e-reader that doesn't come with all the bells and whistles of urban full internet access, plays movies and requires using the brand name book site ( and paying for books besides) but is also tough enough to handle being dropped and getting wet occasionally... and guess what? Those kinds of e-readers don't exist. Until maybe now.

Even though I have no real interest in most of the other features, I'd be willing to pay that price just for a self-charging e-reader that won't die just because a bird crapped on it and will survive being shoved in a pack for a week or two. But even if I did want to use other things on it, they're things I might have a real need for.

No, I haven't paid but I'm starting to think about it.

--------------

Post Number: 21
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have seen several hikers using E readers and apparently some do use a GPS, others do use a radio so one that has it all with some built-in recharging capability may not be all that bad ...
The bit that worries me is the 0c to 50c temperature range.
50c (122f)  is hot even for me but 0c (32f) is not all that cold.

BTW, seeing folk walking in the bush plugged in is not my thing either but at camp I might indulge.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess what I'd want shown is that the interior components had been ruggedized rather than simply putting some rubber bumpers on a Note. For simple cosmetic+ protection Otterbox makes cases that would be removable for around town weightsavings.... I'd want internal guts to be upgraded in their dropproofing.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Because I lead a very boring life , I come up with comedy sketches for my own amusement.
A few days ago one was the tablet Sketch.
Based on what I saw at the end of a walk when we hit a very touristy stops and seeing a few bus loads of people taking photos mostly with tablets.
So the sketch had three lines of people with the first taking the shot of the real thing and the two behind photographing the tablets in front of them...

back to the Earl
It is IP67 rated , so weather protected but not shock/drop  proof.
IP 67  
I   ingress
P   protection
6 totally dust protected (from 0 to 6)
7 Protected against immersion between 15cm and 1 m (0 to 8 . 8 is protected for a long period under pressure)
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The bit that worries me is the 0c to 50c temperature range.
50c (122f)  is hot even for me but 0c (32f) is not all that cold.

"Water/dust/shock/mud-proof. IP67 rated, allowing full submersion in 3 feet of water for 30 mins. Reliable in temperatures between 0-50 °C. and altitudes up to 40,000 feet."

Reliable to 0°C. I'm guessing the features will still operate below that but may not be very accurate. As I said, I'm primarily looking for a tougher e-reader. If that still works at 0°F, I'd be happy.

but not shock/drop  proof.

"
"Water/dust/shock/mud-proof"

--------------

Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks.
My mistake, for some reason I missed the shock bit...

I did see the "reliable" qualifier and from memory the Kindle also is not supposed to work below 32f.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The 0C temperature rating is determined by the Eink panel.

From E ink FAQ:
"What is the temperature range for E Ink Matrix displays?

The operating temperature range for an E Ink Matrix display is from 0-50 °C."

http://www.eink.com/faq_matrix.html
 Post Number: 27
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ May 16 2013, 8:33 am)

I'm taking a group of students through the niobrara river to the black Hills this summer. Hardly backcountry stuff, but I've made note to them there will be little to no cell service in most of the places and I have a no device policy outside of when they're riding in the van.

A few of the kids have never been camping before. And several have told me their biggest concern is being disconnected. One said they almost had an anxiety attack thinking about it :O

I wasn't thinking this was going to be a detox trip.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 16 2013, 9:54 pm)
The 0C temperature rating is determined by the Eink panel.

From E ink FAQ:
"What is the temperature range for E Ink Matrix displays?

The operating temperature range for an E Ink Matrix display is from 0-50 °C."

http://www.eink.com/faq_matrix.html

Drat. That means I'd have to leave it at home and carry a tree-reader....  :cool:

--------------

Post Number: 29
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 6:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you consider that all of your gear--every item of clothing, boots, books, maps, your '10 essentials, everything in your pack--is really non-essential technology, carrying a tablet is simply another technological convenience.  My only issue with this tablet is that it's heavy and doesn't provide any appreciable advantages over any existing technology without a constant connectivity link.

Aside from the solar panel, there's nothing on this tablet that can't be done with a standard smart phone.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 30
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it sounds great and I'm a guy who never bought a gps because they require too much fiddling with. If one small device can do all that stuff without breaking or the batteries dying, I'm in. Battery life is the #1 issue with smart phones.

Things that sound this good have disappointed me so far, but it won't be long until you can't buy a camera that uses AA batteries. I hope this device is around when that happens.
30 replies since May 15 2013, 7:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking tablet....
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions