2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What are your nit picks?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 1:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kaya1 had a great post...and I chuckled seeing I was not alone in my spending the time to align the poles and seams on my fly.

What are some of your other nit picks?

....you may not be alone......

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not cooking upwind of tents. I don't need to add even more interestings scents to where I sleep for bears.
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am relatively nit picky about keeping my stuff dry and organized. I have recently switched out all my waterproof stuff sacks over to Drysacks (color coordinated so I know what's what instantly). I spray pretty much anything that can be sprayed, with DWR. In winter, I use a pack cover over my DWRed pack, have a waterproof pack that carries the clothing/sleeping gear which all sit inside of waterproof drysacks. I spray my rain shell, boots, pack, and Gaitors with DWR until the DWR itself beads off.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wonder how much DWR you have to apply before it becomes toxic?
 Post Number: 5
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ May 16 2013, 2:35 pm)
I wonder how much DWR you have to apply before it becomes toxic?

The main ingredient is silicone in Campdry. The binder is what you have to worry about. It takes 3-4 days to cure.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't like tents, but I like tents with a floor covered with dirt and leaves even less. So I try to not put shoes inside unless they're in a stuff sack turned inside out. It helps.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Before I turn in for the evening I'm rather picky about policing camp and having everything in place where it will be dry and available in the morning.  I sometimes spend a good half hour just checking out my small camping space making sure everything is where it will be dry, tightening guy lines, covering my pack just perfectly, etc..  A little O/C, perhaps, but it works for me. No surprises in the morning, usually.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Late starts
 Post Number: 9
Buggyboo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Somebody's dog thrashing around the trails and camping areas while their owners have a big donkey grin telling everyone how "cool" their dog is. :angry:

--------------
"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

Charlton Heston
 Post Number: 10
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I put my ten essentials and water just inside my rainfly, but outside the tent.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 11
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wind breaks in winter - I will stack snow blocks up  to make a wall five feet tall, shave them cleanly and make sure that no wind can sneak into my shelter from any side. I will spend three to four hours on the wind break even when there doesn't look like any wind will occur.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
cadesun Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buggyboo @ May 16 2013, 9:02 pm)
Somebody's dog thrashing around the trails and camping areas while their owners have a big donkey grin telling everyone how "cool" their dog is. :angry:

Ha!  Or dog prints all over your fly when you get back from brushing your teeth in the morning... or in areas where they are banned.

Ordinarily, I am cool with dogs in the backcountry, but my wife and I had 2 separate bad experiences with them on one trip last summer.

--------------
Adventures in travel, cooking, photography and life...
cadeandmolly.com
 Post Number: 13
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Loose (not leashed) dogs in the backcountry.......and same line barking dogs in the backcountry.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tend to bring a 1/2 litre bottle of tap water from home.  That always stays inside my tent and I sip on it over the weekend.

We stay at a lean to the majority of the time.  It drives me nuts when my hiking partner(s), spread their stuff out laterally along the opening...effectively blocking access in and out....but i compensate for that by bringing Jim Beam.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Others' psychoses.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 16
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I am with another, I expect to share space.  Like the picnic table we found at a camp site.  Instead, he spreads his stuff out willy nilly, and when I asked about it his reply was "First come".  I proceeded to set all of his belongings on one half of the table.  Same thing happened again later in the trip, with my same reaction.  Tough to figure out sharing,I suppose.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 17
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 10:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rookies and head lamps -
Just because you have one - (all bright, shiny, and new), does not mean you leave it on high while looking around a crowded night-time campsite.
Maybe wear around the neck instead?
BTW, there is always that old "off" button too.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 18
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it too late to ask what a nitpick is?

Dictionary, nitpicking: minute and usually unjustified criticism

Maybe you mean "pet peeve." My pet peeves would reveal me to be a curmudgeonly hermit so I won't mention them.
 Post Number: 19
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 2:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My  pet peeve is backpackers that cut thru a campsite, instead of walking around. I hike alone a lot, it gets creepy when people don't respect my privacy when they barge thru. I try to camp off the beaten path for privacy, and still it happens.
 Post Number: 20
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

pet peeve?  campers without volume control... along that same line, another BC annoyance is having to camp in designated campsites

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 21
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No whining, no leftovers.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dictionary, nitpicking: minute and usually unjustified criticism

Well if you read the thread on tent seams lining up w/the poles....that is a bit of a nit pick.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ May 20 2013, 10:03 am)
another BC annoyance is having to camp in designated campsites

You realise this is to protect the area from physical disturbances, right? If everyone started camping where ever they wanted this would end up being highly destructive and would deafeat the purpose of protected land. Additionally it creates risks assoicated with fires and wastes. I understand your frustration and many times would much prefer to eke out my own sites but it's a small price to pay.
 Post Number: 24
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mountain biking organizations bent on putting a trail in every corner of Allegany State Park, even though existing MB trails are under used and some in nearby state forest have even been abandoned.
 Post Number: 25
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

...in over-used areas, sure. in other situations dispersed camping can be the better way to mitigate impacts.

anyway, mine was just a gripe about "that guy" who can't carry on a converstation with someone across the campfire without everyone in the valley hearing.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 26
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ May 21 2013, 1:54 pm)
anyway, mine was just a gripe about "that guy" who can't carry on a converstation with someone across the campfire without everyone in the valley hearing.

Yeah, I understand this. :) "That guy" also tends to like to stay up late and drink a lot of whiskey too.
 Post Number: 27
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 12:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have "that gal" in my hiking group. We spent a weekend at a hot springs resort, and were playing games in a nice quiet lodge room - she kept laughing - imagine sort of braying like a jackass while running a chainsaw - at the top of her lungs, nearly got us thrown out of the resort.

In retrospect, it might have been better to take her wine glass from her earlier in the evening, and hide the chocolate vodka.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 28
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 5:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AndyPandy @ May 16 2013, 8:50 pm)
Late starts

Big time.   Especially from home.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 29
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 7:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ May 18 2013, 12:43 am)
Is it too late to ask what a nitpick is?

I interpreted it as "personal quirks and OCD tendencies" but it seems to have evolved into pet peeves... a.k.a. b!tching about other people.  :D

I'm going back to quirks.

I don't carry a watch but I have to have a little travel clock next to my bed. I always wake up once just before dawn and want to know what time it is.  I used to carry a digital watch but it required pressing a teeny-tiny button to light it up... I ended up hiking the rest of the trip, unknowingly, in a completely different time zone.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 30
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not  a nit pick or a pet peave, sort of an odd OCD thing I do

I have to have my bag packed properly before I leave a site.
Water pump goes here, Pots and pans there, stove in its bag over there.
Tent on the outside, rain gear in shove pocket,
sleeping pad over on that side, food bag next to the pots/pans little odds and ends in the top.

Usually takes me a while to get it all settled and my hiking partners leave me at the camp still getting my stuff together.

No biggie though, they hike slower and take WAY more breaks than me  :)
31 replies since May 16 2013, 1:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What are your nit picks?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions