2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: back pack gear list / cost, New Gear Cost.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GaryP4321 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 10:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I have been interested in back packing for a while now. I made the plunge to purchase a pack set up and I figure that I would share my experience of my purchase so people can see what it costs. I figure this is going to be a 10 year purchase which means the gear I purchased should last me 10 years worth of packing. That could be a little optimistic but it is worth a shot.

1. MSR pocket rocket $40.00
2. marmot sawtooth  $136.00    ***On Sale  Normal 250
3. Gregory Baltoro 75  $344.50
4. Big Agnes insulated air core  $71.83     ***On Sale  Normal 89.50
5. Compression sack (sleeping bag) $31.95
6. GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Soloist Cookset $44.95
7. Hiker pro Micro Water filter $84.50
8. Utensils $9.00

All that for $762.73

Of course there is still more to purchase but that is the basics from what I can tell. I still need a water bag but that should be less that $70.00 . Other than that most of my packing gear is set I think.

My wife got off a little easier on hers since we were at a sale for her pack and we can share some of the other stuff.  

1. Osprey Zena  $157.00     ***On Sale  Normal 314.00
2. marmot sawtooth  $136.00   ***On Sale  Normal 250
3. Big Agnes insulated air core  $71.83    ***On Sale  Normal 89.50
4. Compression sack (sleeping bag) $31.95

Total of $405.78
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see no shelter on that list, or I am blind to it.  Not a tarp, or a tent, or a hammock.  For about $200-275, you should be able to get a good 3 person, which will be a palace for the 2 of you.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With very few exceptions, good gear will last much longer than 10 years. I have some gear that's older than 20.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Soloist cook kit for two? Going to eat in front of her or are you sharing parts of it?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(IAJeff @ May 17 2013, 9:00 pm)
Soloist cook kit for two? Going to eat in front of her or are you sharing parts of it?

not sure if we want a bigger set or if we are getting two of these. this is a trial set right now.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 17 2013, 7:59 pm)
I see no shelter on that list, or I am blind to it.  Not a tarp, or a tent, or a hammock.  For about $200-275, you should be able to get a good 3 person, which will be a palace for the 2 of you.  

i have a three person tent that we can split the weight right now. it is a cheaper tent bot it works for now. when we can afford it we will get a better tent.
 Post Number: 7
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You spent way more than I would have but I'm sheap. Still, $32 for a stuff sack??
 Post Number: 8
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 2:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where do you plan to backpack? I noticed that you don't have any bear proof containers, or Urksacks on your list.
 Post Number: 9
icewarrior Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 3:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

rain cover for your new pack.
I got the same gregory pack and love it.  
aqua mira drops instead of filter. Lots less problems and lighter.  
Looks like a good list though to start!
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(paula53 @ May 17 2013, 11:18 pm)
Where do you plan to backpack? I noticed that you don't have any bear proof containers, or Urksacks on your list.

mostly the pct regions in cali right now. i am looking for a bear canister right now. not sure which one i want.
 Post Number: 11
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have used the Bear Vaults for over 10 years. They are very durable and reasonably priced. They are on the heavy side. For the past 2 years I have used the Wild Ideas Bearikades. lighter in weight, but very expensive. Both brands will last over 10 years of use.
 Post Number: 12
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You need to quadruple your estimate. What you will find is that you may not like some of your choices as you gain experience. So at least half off the items will be re-bought or upgraded. Second, as you progress you may diversify gear to match a certain condition, location, terrain or weather situation and start to accumulate hike or trip specific gear. And last but not least you will not be immune to a few impulse purchases. I bet the $700 turns into $3,000 within 5 years...EZ.
 Post Number: 13
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sleepinng pad probably won't last ten years, but everything else on the list 'should.'  Of course that will depend on care and amount of use/abuse.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 14
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

rain cover for your new pack.

A garbage bag is a good substitute for buying a "real" pack cover.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 15
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(paula53 @ May 18 2013, 3:19 pm)
I have used the Bear Vaults for over 10 years. They are very durable and reasonably priced. They are on the heavy side. For the past 2 years I have used the Wild Ideas Bearikades. lighter in weight, but very expensive. Both brands will last over 10 years of use.

My Bear Vault, the lid started to just come off and not catch on the tabs. To his credit, the Bear Vault guy replaced it free. But it is a @#%$^$ to open it, especially on a cold morning when the plastic gets brittle.

When the Bearikade shows up I'll sell the Bear Vault Solo and then it will be the Bare Boxer Contender on weekend trips, and the Bearikade for longer trips.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 16
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yours – You list 8 Items – and you asked…

2. marmot sawtooth  $136.00  On Sale  Normal $250 (dislike duck down)
3. Gregory Baltoro 75  $344.50 (little big/ lil heavy)
4. Big Agnes insulated air core  $71.83     ***On Sale  Normal 89.50 ( again, lil heavy)
5. Compression sack (sleeping bag) $31.95 (why?)
6. GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Soloist Cookset $44.95 (Whatever)
8. Utensils $9.00

This is a great start – all good decisions…little heavy, but solid choices…BTW, where is the rest of your kit? You are leaving out lots of items. Try being realistic and doing this with 25 items. Sorry to inform you but agree with overthehillwalker… “You need to quadruple your estimate.”…or at least double it if as you say you intend doing heavily regimented Sierra NP/NF areas.

After 40 years and countless upgrades…
10 day Sierra summer trip – 12,000 feet.
– 25 typical items carried/cost:

WM Badger - $500
Gregory 60 - $350
Bearikade Weekender - $275
Prolite plus short - $100
MSR Windpro - $100
WM Flite vest - $175/
Titanium frypan - $170
Fishing rod/tube - $100
Spinning Reel - $75
Tarptent Rainbow - $270
Canon elph - $200
Z-ray lures, flys, license, etc - $200
Lowa GTX boots - $230
Tilley hat - $80
TNF waterproof Shell - $200
Sawyer filter system - $100
BD trekking poles - $125/
Klymit LWD/paddles - $300
Tifosi polarized sunglasses - $80
TNF ¼ zip fleece - $80
Ensolite pad - $15
Montbell pillow - $30
2-pair Smartwools - $40
2-pair UA wicking shorts - $50
Headlamp - $30

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 17
rimmini Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 12:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GaryP4321 @ May 17 2013, 10:48 pm)
So I have been interested in back packing for a while now. I made the plunge to purchase a pack set up and I figure that I would share my experience of my purchase so people can see what it costs. I figure this is going to be a 10 year purchase which means the gear I purchased should last me 10 years worth of packing. That could be a little optimistic but it is worth a shot.

8. Utensils $9.00

All that for $762.73

Of course there is still more to purchase but that is the basics from what I can tell. I still need a water bag but that should be less that $70.00 . Other than that most of my packing gear is set I think.

My wife got off a little easier on hers since we were at a sale for her pack and we can share some of the other stuff.  

Total of $405.78

These are some NICE toys but for starting out you do not need to spend anywhere near that much.

A Cat Can alchy stove costs 50 cents and the fuel is more readily available and maintenance part for gas stoves are a pain esp when they stop making it.

2. marmot sawtooth  $136.00  
 ***On Sale  Normal 250

a NICE BAG IS DEFINITELY WORTH THE INVESTMENT.

WAY TOO MUCH FOR A PACK. A TRIP TO DICKS SPORTING GOODS WILL GET YOU A GOOD KELTY FOR 150 OR LESS

NICE BUT A GOOD CLOSED CELL PAD WILL RUN 5.00

MOST SLEEPING BAGS COME WITH COMPRESSION SACKS  AND (IMO) IF YOU ARE GOING TO SPEND THAT KIND OF MONEY ON A BAG, IT BETTER

MSR Alpine 2 quart pot will run 30.00

I go with chemicals....for starting out but if you like the clear take and instant drink good choice

8. Utensils $9.00

Other than a knife (Which should be a quality blade) you can get utensils for 50 cents each at good will.

All that for $762.73

Total of $405.78

You are missing your tent... and foot print.

You are also missing your clothes and insulation.
 Post Number: 18
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 2:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tend to focus on experience guiding me toward purchases. Each person will consider different items for different reasons - budget, weight, quality, durability, simplicity, comfort...

Many reasons have led me to a have a variety of equipment at my disposal to outfit myself the best I can for different conditions/environments.

I will spend money where I feel it is worth it (for my needs/wants). It has been proven to me several times over that you don't have to spend tons of money on equipment to have a good time, but I've found in some areas, spending a bit more has saved me tons. In other areas, I've had the opposite be true. My cheapest stove has been the best so far for my needs.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 19
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like you've actually bought all this stuff right?  Have you gone out and used it?  (It's May... what are you waiting for?  :) )

While some of the prices are probably more than I would have been willing to pay (the Baltoro, for one), I'll also say that I've spent well over $762 in the last 10 years on gear, even after taking into account things I've sold.  (And glad that I haven't been keeping a running list...)

I don't remember this big shopping spree to get started; I bought a pack, borrowed a few things, used car-camping gear, started by going with others who brought the shared gear, etc.  I'm skeptical that you can assemble "the right" gear set off the bat that you're going to be happy with for 10 years.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 20
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ May 18 2013, 8:16 pm)
Bear Vault...it is a @#%$^$ to open it, especially on a cold morning when the plastic gets brittle.

Try slipping a credit card behind the tab, it gives the catches on the lid a "track" to pass around the tab. Like this:

I don't use an actual credit card as this process can put a bit of a crimp in the card itself, so a used gift card or "loyalty" card works fine too.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 21
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ May 19 2013, 10:43 am)

(AlmostThere @ May 18 2013, 8:16 pm)
Bear Vault...it is a @#%$^$ to open it, especially on a cold morning when the plastic gets brittle.

Try slipping a credit card behind the tab, it gives the catches on the lid a "track" to pass around the tab. Like this:

I don't use an actual credit card as this process can put a bit of a crimp in the card itself, so a used gift card or "loyalty" card works fine too.

Brilliant!!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ May 18 2013, 7:31 pm)
Yours – You list 8 Items – and you asked…

2. marmot sawtooth  $136.00  On Sale  Normal $250 (dislike duck down)
3. Gregory Baltoro 75  $344.50 (little big/ lil heavy)
4. Big Agnes insulated air core  $71.83     ***On Sale  Normal 89.50 ( again, lil heavy)
5. Compression sack (sleeping bag) $31.95 (why?)
6. GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Soloist Cookset $44.95 (Whatever)
8. Utensils $9.00

This is a great start – all good decisions…little heavy, but solid choices…BTW, where is the rest of your kit? You are leaving out lots of items. Try being realistic and doing this with 25 items. Sorry to inform you but agree with overthehillwalker… “You need to quadruple your estimate.”…or at least double it if as you say you intend doing heavily regimented Sierra NP/NF areas.

After 40 years and countless upgrades…
10 day Sierra summer trip – 12,000 feet.
– 25 typical items carried/cost:

WM Badger - $500
Gregory 60 - $350
Bearikade Weekender - $275
Prolite plus short - $100
MSR Windpro - $100
WM Flite vest - $175/
Titanium frypan - $170
Fishing rod/tube - $100
Spinning Reel - $75
Tarptent Rainbow - $270
Canon elph - $200
Z-ray lures, flys, license, etc - $200
Lowa GTX boots - $230
Tilley hat - $80
TNF waterproof Shell - $200
Sawyer filter system - $100
BD trekking poles - $125/
Klymit LWD/paddles - $300
Tifosi polarized sunglasses - $80
TNF ¼ zip fleece - $80
Ensolite pad - $15
Montbell pillow - $30
2-pair Smartwools - $40
2-pair UA wicking shorts - $50
Headlamp - $30

I assume that I will be making more purchases as I get more experienced. I kinda relate this to fly fishing.

When I started I purchased high knowing if I don't like it I can sell it for about 80% of what I paid so my loss would be minimal. But if I liked it I wouldn't have to buy again for a while. Now I have around 4 fly rods all over $300.00 rods and nice reels to go with them. I make my own flies so I spend pennies on the dollar for them and save there.

My buddy bought a cheap $40.00 rod, then a few months later the purchased another $40.00 rod because he broke the other one. his reel broke then the had to buy that again as well. so before he learned to buy a good rod and reel he payed almost $140.00 for cheap crap. If he would have gone out and payed the $400.00 right off he wouldn't have had the problems he had.

My goal was to purchase good quality gear in the beginning and then grow off of it to fine tune it as I get more experienced.

I didn't realize I was counting my fishing gear in this. Hell I already have that all set up.

Example Rod : $240.00
Reel: $300
Line: $50 on sale normally $90

I didn't know I should count my cloths in this set up. I will start doing that.

What is every one's opinion on wool? The guy at my local shop (NOT REI) is trying to sell me on wool. REI on the other hand is trying to sell me more on synthetics for clothing. My only experience with wool has been my military days and that is crap wool. It makes you itch, your feet sweat so bad that your skin peels off at the end of the day and that is even after changing your socks every 3 hours on clock work. I understand there is a difference between military crap and the good stuff but that is my only experience with wool.
 Post Number: 23
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like wool. Mostly because it smells better than synthetic. But I do tend to wear out wool stuff faster. On most trips I bring one of each.
For kayaking I use syn because it dries faster.
 Post Number: 24
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

8. Utensils $9.00

That looks like a great start to me. Honestly, what you have here could easily last you years. There is NO NEED to upgrade. Perhaps you'll want to once you spend more time outside, but for now, that's great.
I started out with far inferior equipment, and I had a great time.
Enjoy what you have, and don't let anyone spoil that for you.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find this set up as the basics.

I already want to change my utensils and go more towards the spoon on one end/ fork on the other end type of set up. Besides they are cheap too. I can also donate my utensils I purchased to the local boy scouts group and they can use those.
 Post Number: 26
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Merino wool is great stuff but synthetics have their place as well.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There was a old fishing comercial talking about buying cheap gear vs. quality gear. Where the one guy was trying to tell his friend to just buy the cheaper stuff since it was cheap. Then he looks at his friend who is attempting to talk him into buying cheap gear and the says " I'm too poor to buy cheap gear. I only want to buy it once and not multiple times"

To me that is how I attempt to buy my gear. I plan on only purchasing it once and not multiple times if it serves the same purpose as other gear.
 Post Number: 28
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gary,  it looks like you've made some good choices on quality gear.  I'm always amused by folks who post the "my gear choices are better than yours" messages here.  If one stove was perfect for everyone, stores would only stock one stove.  There is a lot choose from and what is best for me might not be best for your needs and budget.

Congrats on getting started.  Hope you have a great time on the trail!
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 11:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i like my pack choice. a little heavy but it fits my back well and doesn't hurt my back with weight on it.

i already have a three person tent my wife and i are going to share the weight of it to ease the load. our first trip is about a month away now. cant wait for it. i am going to have to get a bear canister though.
 Post Number: 30
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GaryP4321 @ May 17 2013, 10:48 pm)

Decent list except for these 2 items. Expensive (and I bet heavy) pack and the bag comes with a stuff sack to begin with. Not sure why you would even use it for a pack that size. Just stuff your bag into the bottom of the pack (inside trash compactor bag that you twist off) with any other clothing that must stay dry. Done. Simple.
29 replies since May 17 2013, 10:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply back pack gear list / cost
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions