2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Newbie thinking about getting into backpacking!, In search of some gear suggestions!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
92hatchattack Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 7:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello everyone. First post here. I have always had an interest is getting into a little bit of backpacking. Ive done a fair bit of regular camping, lugging things to and from the car, but am now ready to start getting into small backpacking trips. I live in New Jersey and will most likely do the majority of my hiking withing a 5 hour drive from my location. Of course I dream of going out west, and may get the chance one day, but for the present time I will be hanging around my area. When starting out I plan on only taking short trips most likely about 3 days long. Also my son is in cub scouts(I'm the Assistant Cubmaster), and if he keeps with it I see many backpacking trips in our future

So, I am starting to think about learning about some gear. I am hoping to start gathering items to take my first trip in early october. I think most of my backpacking will be 3 season trips. At least for starters I dont see myself doing any winter treks.  So i guess what I have is some questions about some of the main gear i will need.

#1. Backpack. Yup, I guess I am going to need one of these. For starters, how do I know what size pack I need? IM about 5'11" and 270lbs. I tend to not be happy with cheap gear, yet I dont need to best either. I feel comfortable spending up to around $250 for a pack if I need to. As long as it last a long time and is comfortable I guess.

#2. A tent. Yeah, I have a tent, but a 10x12' Eureka is just a TAD big for backpacking. Im guessisng I'll need a smaller tent. Im a big guy so I'll need a little extra room for me and my gear without it weighing a ton. What do you guys have in mind?

#3 Hiking boots. These I know nothing about.  Funny cause I started and run the Packs hiking club. What can you tell me? I have a wide foot so that may be valuable info for you guys to help me with.

Well im sure you get these newbie questions all the time, so whatever you can help me with would be great. Im open minded to just about anything, but once in a while my stubborness for something that pleases my eye will shine through.

Thanks everyone!

---Joe
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(92hatchattack @ May 20 2013, 4:41 pm)
Well im sure you get these newbie questions all the time, so whatever you can help me with would be great. Im open minded to just about anything, but once in a while my stubborness for something that pleases my eye will shine through.

Thanks everyone!

---Joe

#1. Backpack. Yup, I guess I am going to need one of these. For starters, how do I know what size pack I need? IM about 5'11" and 270lbs. I tend to not be happy with cheap gear, yet I dont need to best either. I feel comfortable spending up to around $250 for a pack if I need to. As long as it last a long time and is comfortable I guess.

Backpack should be purchased last. After you have purchased all your gear, see how much volume it takes up and that determines the size. Then, go try on as many packs as you can (in person) at your local REI or other outfitter (WITH YOUR GEAR) packed by someone who knows how to pack a backpack (main weight at shoulder blades close to your back for best "comfort"). After narrowing down the results to your three most comfortable packs...follow your gut as to which is the best balance of weight, comfort, and features. That will be your pack. It's worth it to go through this process although you will feel a bit goofy bringing in all your gear the first time. Strangely, people often do this and it is definitely the best method by far. Don't get hung up on bells and whistles if you can. A simple backpack will most often outperform one fills with zippers, pockets, and seams galore.

#2. A tent. Yeah, I have a tent, but a 10x12' Eureka is just a TAD big for backpacking. Im guessisng I'll need a smaller tent. Im a big guy so I'll need a little extra room for me and my gear without it weighing a ton. What do you guys have in mind?

In regards to tent, location/weather you are most likely to encounter should be considered. Don't rule any tent out unless you know it won't work. I recommend going a bit more generic for a "first" tent until you know exactly what you want. There are many different flavors these days and not many "bad" tents. I personally have a sub-three pound five man tent...but I don't have a "true" floor. Single Walls will give you your best space to weight ratio (think palace) and I recommend going for a two man for one man starting out as most one man tents are more snug than most are comfortable with.

#3 Hiking boots. These I know nothing about.  Funny cause I started and run the Packs hiking club. What can you tell me? I have a wide foot so that may be valuable info for you guys to help me with.

They don't have to be boots. Many people wear shoes instead of boots these days. Many of the myths associated with boots being more supportive are just that...myths. Gore-Tex/Event boots tend to run hotter and many people don't find them worthwhile (I personally do but I may just be lucky). Boots/shoes are another thing you should definitely try on in person. My last pair of boots took four hours before I was satisfied with what I walked out with. This is not uncommon. Solid support across the entire "floor" of the shoe so that it feels molded to your foot, has the right feel as you walk...and less seams is better (less places to fail). I prefer leather myself but I expect a pair of boots to last at least five years, if not ten...

Don't be shy about asking questions - We've all had to start somewhere.

Make sure and read through this thread for great advice...

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1140034

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My advice in all three of those areas is, go to a shop with people working there who know what they are doing.

Yes, you can save a few bucks by ordering things online, but right now I think you really need the benefit of expert advice more than you need a few saved bucks.

As far as the tent, is it for just you, or for more than one person? There are a ton of good 2-person tents out there--they're really all very similar, to be honest. A fairly light 2p tent is a good choice for either 1 person with a bit of extra room, or two people that like each other enough to sleep in fairly close quarters.
 Post Number: 4
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Welcome to the pleasure dome.

One of the first and best pieces of advice you'll receive is to buy everything else first, then your backpack.  What you buy (and how much you carry) will dictate the size of your pack.  If you have an REI or similar store nearby you should definitely try on their packs with weight in them (many stores have various size sandbags for this).  Adjustment is key to proper fit and long term comfort.

You can get a lot of decent tents at a reasonable price, especially during clearance sales, end of season sales, etc.  Unless you're absolutely positively sure you'll use it for at least 5 years don't buy an expensive one - you'll likely change your mind down the road.  Most "2 person" tents are really large 1 person tents, unless you like to be really chummy.

Footwear is very personal, even more so than tents or packs.  I'm not even sure how to give advice on that.  I'm lucky and can wear most anything.  But I wouldn't suggest anything with a huge lugged sole for most hiking.

REI has a "no questions asked" return policy, so they're an especially good place to shop if you're just starting out and find that a backpack or pair of boots isn't working for you after a trip or two.

Have you read the "Backpacking 101" post at the top of the forum?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info guys. The one thing I worry about a little bit is choosing the right pack. I can predict that the amount of things I need to carry will change depending on who I am traveling with. I can see going out with the wife and kid that I will probably be traveling a bit heavy to accomodate some of their needs, while if its just me and my buddy I would travel a little lighter.

The nearest REI is about an hour from me. Never been to one so I may just have to go check it out.

By the way. Bear canisters. Should I just get used to using one or is it just an incredible waste of space?
 Post Number: 6
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If a bear canister is required in the areas you are hiking...You'll have to bite the bullet. I understand the "pain" required to purchase a pack in person but they seriously fit like shoes. How a pack will feel on your back is like how a pair of shoes feels on a foot. They aren't the same.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dont think canisters are required around here, But we do have black bears in the area. Would i be better of with just a bear bag?   Plain and simple, I dont want to be eaten by a bear or loose my food.
 Post Number: 8
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(92hatchattack @ May 20 2013, 5:55 pm)
I dont think canisters are required around here, But we do have black bears in the area. Would i be better of with just a bear bag?   Plain and simple, I dont want to be eaten by a bear or loose my food.

If they aren't required, a bear bag is fine. If you have a concern to be eaten, get bear spray...seriously. Personally, I have no concern of black bear and have never had an issue with them, even walking nearby a group of fourteen of them. Even then, I still own bear spray although I only bring it to make newbies feel more comfortable. I rarely bring it when hiking alone or with my normal partners unless I am hiking in "new" areas. I personally don't use a bear bag or canister but we don't have a large population of them either.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have TONS of bear in my area.
I always hang my food, and keep everything with a scent out of my camp. Toothpaste, deodorant, chapstick, all of it. They like smelly stuff.
Otherwise, like above recommend, bear spray. You'll probably never need it, but it's great to have around. Confidence booster for sure.
 Post Number: 10
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should find my paper useful.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, Im going to read that paper.

How far should one hang a bear bag away from camp?
 Post Number: 12
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where do you plan to hike?  In summer only, or the three seasons?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 5:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3 Seasons.  I will usualy be hiking withing a few hours drive on New Jersey.
 Post Number: 14
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 6:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buy yourself an URSACK.  You will be good to go with that and you don't need to hang it. I do a lot of hiking/camping in Harriman State Park,  which is practically in NJ and never had any problems.

As far as boots are concerned? I have used a good pair of trail runners my past few outings and fell in love with them. I asked myself why I didn't try them earlier as opposed to boots.  Wool socks are a must, and a nice cozy pair of trailrunners.  

A pack u ask? That's a matter of personal prefrence in my opinion.  You will get many choices to choose from by asking that question.  Weight and size and comforfable fit are what to look out for.

I love my new tent j just got. Mountain Hardwear SuperMega UL 2.  It's a palace for myself (5-10, 2330lbs). I could fit 2 people in it if needed but I use it solo. It also sets up so simple.. and is lightweight and packs down very small. I love the option of setting it up without the rain fly so I can sleep under the stars, and not get attacked by skeeters and friends. I have 6 tents total..if my kids come out with me, 2 loaners, car camping..depends my situation.  Get yourself a good 3 season tent and don't skimp here..its a good investment that should last you a very long time.

Sleeping bag? All I can say is QUILT!!!  A nice down quilt..u can thank me later.

Good luck with what you choose.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 15
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 7:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you will want to hang your bear bag apprx 200' or more downwind from where you are sleeping for the night.  The killer bears will smell the food on the breeze and reach it first before they devour you for dessert.

I hike in the Adirondacks, I've never seen a bear...lots of scat, but never a bear...and they are plentiful.

If you go to REI, look at the Half Dome ...it is probably one of the best starter tents on the market...I would use that as a great baseline and compare from there as far as weight or price.  It has two doors which is nice....but you are going to find them a bit tight, there are some three person tents out there as well that are under 5lbs...hopefully the REI has a few in stock...you may want to buy a bit bigger if you are bringing children or wife.

I think overall for your area any decent dome tent w/two doors will suffice.  Believe me, if you like this, you will end up w/more than one tent.  The Kelty Gunnison series is a good solid tent priced right,

Actually I just looked at the REI website...the Half Dome PLUS is on sale for $149.....it don't get much better than that for a great two person tent...with extra room.

Don't let the weight thing get in your way.  A two litre bottle of soda weighs almost as much as that tent....

Boots and pack...I agree w/everyone else....ya gotta try em on.  You're lucky to have an REI "close" by.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 16
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree get your pack last. You describe possible varying needs, in which case you may need more than one pack.

There are two issues regarding the "size" of the pack. One issue is the capacity, and yes that is determined by what you want to put in there and thus is the reason you should buy it last. The other issue of pack size is the fit on your body. Get to a store where they know what they are doing and they will measure your torso length and tell you of other fit issues. Try a bunch on, even if you're not ready to buy the pack.

Get the lightest gear you can afford, or even cannot afford. If you compromise now on weight to save money, good chance that down the road you will see the virtue of lighter gear and end up buying things a second time, making it more expensive in the end. Plus, keeping your weight down in one area can open the door to shaving weight in other areas -- for example, if you can cut your base weight down to a certain level you suddenly are in range to get a UL pack, which cannot manage heavy loads but once you are in range you can consider a UL pack that will save you yet another pound or more. Same thing with shoes/boots, the lighter your pack the less support (and weight) you need on your feet.

For a shelter you may want to consider a hybrid tarp-tent, the advantages to many of these being that they use durable ultralight materials and that you can use your trekking poles for support, keeping the shelter weight down (any time your equip can do double-duty it's a good thing). Tarptent, SMD, and Lightheart are good choices.

Black bears don't worry me at all. They're like squirrels. 350-pound squirrels, but basically they are after an easy snack, not you.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 17
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You've been given some good advice here, particularly the part about buying everything else first and then buying your pack.  Another suggestion:  Since you are new to backpacking, it might be helpful to find a local group that conducts hikes.  Meetup.com might be a good source, or your local Sierra Club.  It always helps to go with an experienced backpacker your first time.  Good luck and have fun!
 Post Number: 18
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're just thinking, RENT.

If you're sure you want to keep doing it, start researching and shopping. Sales like at Sierra Trading Post are great -- as long as they have a good return policy.

You can rent bear canisters for places you need them, ie they are REQUIRED, not suggested. If you go often enough it makes more sense to just buy one.

Try hanging food PROPERLY and you'll soon be trying methods other than hanging. It is a tough job hanging a proper counterbalance and finding the right tree in a forest full of short, stumpy oaks isn't easy. Out here, we have bears leaping out of trees and catching the bags on the way down, so it's mostly illegal to counterbalance in a lot of areas, and in the treeless higher elevations it's just impossible.

I have three canisters to my name and counting....

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 19
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(92hatchattack @ May 20 2013, 8:38 pm)
The nearest REI is about an hour from me. Never been to one so I may just have to go check it out.

You can do the same at EMS and Campmor. Assuming that you're in the northern part of NJ.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 20
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ May 21 2013, 6:27 am)
Buy yourself an URSACK.  You will be good to go with that and you don't need to hang it.

+1
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well i figured if I'm going to get into this I'd better try one of those freeze dried meals. Got some water boiling now. I gotta say.... I'm a little nervous.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 5:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(92hatchattack @ May 21 2013, 5:40 pm)
Well i figured if I'm going to get into this I'd better try one of those freeze dried meals. Got some water boiling now. I gotta say.... I'm a little nervous.

If you don't like the results, try dehydrating your own.  It's easier to make something to your own taste, and in the quantity you prefer.
 Post Number: 23
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Everything tastes better out on the trail.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well the verdict is in. I tried some Mountain House Spaghetti with Meat Sauce and honestly I thought it was pretty freaking delicious. WAY better than I ever thought it would be. I thought I would be forcing it down my throat. My 8 year old agreed so I had to split it with him.

Looking forward to trying a few more. I can definatly live off of these on the trail.
 Post Number: 25
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry one of those tiny Tobasco bottles to add a bit to my FD meals.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ May 21 2013, 7:37 am)
you will want to hang your bear bag apprx 200' or more downwind from where you are sleeping for the night.  The killer bears will smell the food on the breeze and reach it first before they devour you for dessert.

I hike in the Adirondacks, I've never seen a bear...lots of scat, but never a bear...and they are plentiful.

If you go to REI, look at the Half Dome ...it is probably one of the best starter tents on the market...I would use that as a great baseline and compare from there as far as weight or price.  It has two doors which is nice....but you are going to find them a bit tight, there are some three person tents out there as well that are under 5lbs...hopefully the REI has a few in stock...you may want to buy a bit bigger if you are bringing children or wife.

I think overall for your area any decent dome tent w/two doors will suffice.  Believe me, if you like this, you will end up w/more than one tent.  The Kelty Gunnison series is a good solid tent priced right,

Actually I just looked at the REI website...the Half Dome PLUS is on sale for $149.....it don't get much better than that for a great two person tent...with extra room.

Don't let the weight thing get in your way.  A two litre bottle of soda weighs almost as much as that tent....

Boots and pack...I agree w/everyone else....ya gotta try em on.  You're lucky to have an REI "close" by.

The half dome and half dome plus look like pretty sweet little tents. Can anyone else say anything about these two?

Shouls I be concerned about their weight? The half dome plus is 6lbs 6oz, and the the regular half dome is 5lbs 10oz.  I al a little nervous that being a first time backpacker that I am going to run pretty far on the heavy side. But, on the other hand im probably only looking at 2-3 night tops so I wont need a ton of fuel or food, and I am a big guy and should be able to handle a load. Still, im not looking to tack on too much weight.

How do these compare to a tent like this at 4lbs 11oz http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mo....g+tents , or this at 4lbs 8oz? http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-S....g+tents

Are these really that good of a deal at their sale price of $140--$150?

Thanks guys...  Just trying to feel around and see who likes what and theories on weights vs build quality here. I plan on driving to REI on Friday to check the place out.
 Post Number: 27
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ataylor @ May 21 2013, 9:04 am)
You've been given some good advice here, particularly the part about buying everything else first and then buying your pack.  Another suggestion:  Since you are new to backpacking, it might be helpful to find a local group that conducts hikes.  Meetup.com might be a good source, or your local Sierra Club.  It always helps to go with an experienced backpacker your first time.  Good luck and have fun!

+1 meetup groups are great.

What part of Jersey are you in. I'm in south Jersey. No bear problems down here. North Jersey on the other hand well all the bears are up there since they can't get across the turnpike :)

The AT in Jersey has bear boxes at each shelter. So a good place to start experimenting would be there. Pretty nice trail with water and shelters along the way

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ May 21 2013, 7:13 pm)

What part of Jersey are you in. I'm in south Jersey. No bear problems down here. North Jersey on the other hand well all the bears are up there since they can't get across the turnpike :)

The AT in Jersey has bear boxes at each shelter. So a good place to start experimenting would be there. Pretty nice trail with water and shelters along the way

I am in central NJ. About 10 minutes from New Brunswick. On the AT trail, are you required to stay at shelters? Or can you camp anywhere off the trail? The whole point is to get away from the man made structures I am thinking! LOL.

Ive got a friend of a friend that did the AT from start to finish. I need to get a hold of him and pick his brain.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(92hatchattack @ May 21 2013, 7:17 pm)

(eggs @ May 21 2013, 7:13 pm)

I am in central NJ. About 10 minutes from New Brunswick. On the AT trail, are you required to stay at shelters? Or can you camp anywhere off the trail? The whole point is to get away from the man made structures I am thinking! LOL.

Ive got a friend of a friend that did the AT from start to finish. I need to get a hold of him and pick his brain.

There are some stretches along the AT with camping restrictions, while others are less encumbered.
 Post Number: 30
Nacci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

At your next Roundtable, go over to the Boy Scout side and ask some Scoutmasters for ideas.  Ask if you can borrow some gear (or rent some gear) and go on an overnight with a Boy Scout troop.  See what's going on in your "neck of the woods."  Check out what they're using.  Ask questions.  Ask more questions.

Enjoy the journey.  Backpacking is lots of fun.
99 replies since May 20 2013, 7:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Newbie thinking about getting into backpacking!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions