2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Deuter backpack - AirContact vs ACT Lite, Need help choosing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
djoal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 9:26 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am currently considering these two Deuter backpacks:
AirContact 45+10
ACT Lite 40+10

I will mostly use it for day hikes with my family (which means I will also carry stuff for the kids), and occasionally for a two day hikes.

ACT Lite is "lite" - it is more than two pounds lighter than the AirContact. However, AirContacts hip belt and the rest of suspension is much firmer and sturdier. It feels like being in a shell (good feeling in a store, but is it any good in the mountain?).

Would the AirContact be "easier" to carry despite of the added weight?
How would they fare with lighter weights?
Any other considerations?

Can someone share his/her experience or thoughts?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

put this under "other experience" or "thoughts"

Normally i would say go with the better suspension as its always nice to carry a better suspension over lighter weight in my book.

That said 3.5lbs for the light option, 5.3 for the heavy both strike me as chunky for packs in the 40-45 liter range.

How much weight are you planning on carrying?

In my 2 day light/family run around/bike commuter pack (Older verion of this http://www.lowealpine.com/airzone-35) I dont really even use the waist belt most days, but i rarely even carry more than 15-20lbs.

If you see yourself carring 30+lbs often I would say more suspension is a good thing.  If you dont see that happening, the lighter pack might be the way to go.

Either way if you go with the one that feels best you probably cant go wrong  :D
 Post Number: 3
LoneWolfe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Deuter Act Zero 60+10 (lighter still) and routinely use it for 5-8 day trips.  The suspension has held up well.  I'd go with the Act Lite, or maybe consider the Act Zero.

--------------
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.  ~Albert Einstein
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whichever one has the more comfortable suspension...heavier or not.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ May 22 2013, 3:56 pm)

+1

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 5:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

I am currently leaning towards the heavier AirContact, but there is one thing that still makes me think.

AirContacts carrying capacity is 45lbs. Generally, I do not expect to carry more than 35lbs so there is enough room here. But what about the light side? Is it possible that it will not feel that good (too stiff and rigid) with only 10 or 15 lbs packed?

How well do the larger packs fare with light loads?
 Post Number: 7
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 8:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Deuter makes top notch packs.  I have an Aircontact 55+10 and it is extremely comfortable, even with 50#.   Like others have said for short hikes carrying under 35# go with the one that is more comfortable to you.  Load both packs with equal weight, I bet you will not feel the additional pack weight of the Aircontact.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 8
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll vote for the Lite.
I have the ACT Lite 65+10. The suspension is plenty. I just can't see needing anymore especially in a 45 liter pack. Unless you are carrying lead.
 Post Number: 9
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does the pack fit?

I tried one and liked it until I realized the shoulder straps were just not right, they would chafe too much around the neck. The other packs I have that have worked have straps set wider apart.

Little things matter.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 10
okmtbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LoneWolfe @ May 22 2013, 12:56 pm)
I have a Deuter Act Zero 60+10 (lighter still) and routinely use it for 5-8 day trips.  The suspension has held up well.  I'd go with the Act Lite, or maybe consider the Act Zero.

Ditto.
If you're not planning on humping huge loads (45 lbs+),  why not drop over a pound by going with the Lite or Zero?
Unless you feel a significant difference in comfort/fit or really need the convenience features of the AirContact, I'd go with one of the lighter packs.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 4:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ACT Lite it will be.

I've been to the store and put some weight in backpacks. At 40lbs, I felt better with the AirContact. However, at 20lbs the ACT Lite felt better.
Other than that, the AirContact is much more of a pack - better materials, better buckles, sturdier, ...

However, it seems to me that for my intended use the AirContact is probably an overkill, and therefore the decision.

Warning for noobs: I'm also a noob so take everything I wrote with a grain of salt!
 Post Number: 12
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have Aircontact suspension on a much smaller pack---the Trail 24. I have really appreciated the suspension---I don't know of any other day pack that has such solid suspension. I don't notice the weight at all. In a 55L pack I would not want anything less than Aircontact, especially for a two-day hike, but I haven't tried the Airlite version.
 Post Number: 13
Cmazzac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 4:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ May 24 2013, 7:32 am)
I have Aircontact suspension on a much smaller pack---the Trail 24. I have really appreciated the suspension---I don't know of any other day pack that has such solid suspension. I don't notice the weight at all. In a 55L pack I would not want anything less than Aircontact, especially for a two-day hike, but I haven't tried the Airlite version.

I just started backpacking and the ACTlite 40+10 is what I purchased, I have had it out for about 20 miles in the last month I love it, I have no experience with other packs except an osprey, and a Gregory I tried on, I forget the models but wasn't near as comfortable to me I generally just do overnight hikes and usually stay under 22 pounds and most of the time I don't even use the hip belt.  I hope it works out.
 Post Number: 14
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ May 22 2013, 3:56 pm)

I agree with this dependent on the load.  Loads over say 30 plus pounds does require a robust suspension to work effectively.  But with the weights that will be carried with a 40L volume, I would reather go for the lighter pack as the additional weight is simply unnecessary.  Odds are that the load will not be over about 25lbs unless one is carrying several litres of water.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
13 replies since May 22 2013, 9:26 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Deuter backpack - AirContact vs ACT Lite
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions