2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cheap Bag, I'm young and Broke< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
NovaCali Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 6:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello,
         I'm 14 and getting ready for a Sierra's trip as well as for future trips. Obviously I don't have much of a job besides baby sitting and other random jobs and I need a sleeping bag. I'm trying to go as lightweight as possible and I usually don't go in very cold areas( Bay Area CA) I believe $200 is my price range, I no it's not much but It's all I have.. Again Light and compact? Sorry if I sound ridiculous.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lot's of options here:

http://www.rei.com/search?....jxPrice

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are quilts a possibility?
 Post Number: 4
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How many miles is the trip? How many days? What do you plan to carry? Tons of stuff or lightweight?

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My setup right now is generally lightweight I belive, Gossamer Gorilla, and 1 person Tarpent Rainbow for the main items. Clothes are under two pounds, and it's a four day trip. The majority of the weight is food.
I despise sleeping while "hot" if that matters...
 Post Number: 6
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sigh . . . what is this world coming to? A broke 14-year-old says he has only $200 to spend on a warm-weather sleeping bag. I have some great sleeping bags and have never spent as much as $200 on one. When I was 14 I pinned blankets together with safety pins and thought that was great. Worked perfect in my canvas boyscout tent.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How did you have the time in between fighting off dinosaurs? Really though, I worked, and worked, and worked. I'm not some idiot with rich parents who just gets money, wish I was though.
 Post Number: 8
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(NovaCali @ Jun. 05 2013, 7:29 pm)
My setup right now is generally lightweight I belive, Gossamer Gorilla, and 1 person Tarpent Rainbow for the main items. Clothes are under two pounds, and it's a four day trip. The majority of the weight is food.
I despise sleeping while "hot" if that matters...

I started a thread just a bit ago how I started backpacking with just about nothing. Look on Craigslist, get something that's comfortable. Save your time looking for an expensive pack and use the time to dream, read and plan about where you will be hiking. Use the time to dream about the next trip. us the time to dream about the thru hike you will accomplish when you are 22. Use the time of having nothing to learn what you really require while traipsing through nature. Just go.

But if you really must, $200 will get you a good pack. Go lite has some great UL packs. Osprey makes good comfortable/ average weight bags. Gregory seems to be super plush but heavy. Get out and try some on. Just go.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 9
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(NovaCali @ Jun. 05 2013, 8:38 pm)
How did you have the time in between fighting off dinosaurs?

I like this kid.   :D   :laugh:   :D
 Post Number: 10
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like you're getting a nice kit together. Quilt is a maybe for that budget, depending on temp rating, size you need, and especially if you'll entertain synthetic. Check out the Enlightened Equipment "X" lines, they use fabric seconds in both down and synth versions that potentially can be had for under $200. Have fun.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 11
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 9:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quilts are fine.  Lot's of people seem to like jacks r better:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/quilts/

Maybe some of them will speak up.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 12
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 05 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jun. 05 2013, 9:21 pm)
Quilts are fine.  Lot's of people seem to like jacks r better:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/quilts/

Maybe some of them will speak up.

I like my Stealth, although the comfort rating is pretty optimistic.  They have a few quilts on sale right now that might work for you.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Scot @ Jun. 05 2013, 8:42 pm)
Save your time looking for an expensive pack and use the time to dream, read and plan about where you will be hiking. Use the time to dream about the next trip. us the time to dream about the thru hike you will accomplish when you are 22. Use the time of having nothing to learn what you really require while traipsing through nature. Just go.

Thanks for the advice!
 Post Number: 14
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I believe there is a thread on this site asking if "you" need the best most expensive gear. I don't. I have purchased 2- 20 degree down bags, that weighed about 2# each.  I watched for sales and they both cost $75. to my door.  One was on sale for that price for one day.  Watch sierratradingpost.com and sign up for their deal flyer. check sunnysports.com.  Join clymb.com, it's free. Good luck.
 Post Number: 15
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 06 2013, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate being the guy who says "For xxx more you can get...."

but...  :D

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-s....ee-down
seems to be a real winner, it appears most of your gear is very high quality for someone starting out, be a shame to skimp on the bag at the same time.

if you do chose to go less cost, a very high quality quilt is a great option
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/revelationx-30/
 Post Number: 16
Nurseleti Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out the Kelty Cosmic Down. You can usually get it for under $150...I have a 20 degree one and it does great!
 Post Number: 17
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry, you are ridiculous.  I use a $10 fleece blanket and clothes at times.  My most expensive bag was $110 and it's a down bag.  Don't mean to be mean but them's the facts.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 18
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Jun. 05 2013, 9:03 pm)

(NovaCali @ Jun. 05 2013, 8:38 pm)
How did you have the time in between fighting off dinosaurs?

I like this kid.   :D   :laugh:   :D

Me too.  Sounds like he'dmake a bad enemy though.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 19
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 6:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

he'll be nicer in the morning.....

yikes!

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 20
sarahspins Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Nurseleti @ Jun. 11 2013, 7:25 pm)
Check out the Kelty Cosmic Down. You can usually get it for under $150...I have a 20 degree one and it does great!

You can often find them for much less than that!  2 years ago I bought two 20˚ cosmic down bags from sunnysports for $70 each... they have been great bags for us, they pack very compactly and I've used mine down into the low 30's and was plenty warm.
 Post Number: 21
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Scot, a bag is a sleeping bag not a pack.  I only mention this as many of my questions are not read but simply answered. Just my opinion. Have a good day and have fun on the trail.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 22
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(zipposdad @ Jun. 14 2013, 7:32 am)
Scot, a bag is a sleeping bag not a pack.  I only mention this as many of my questions are not read but simply answered. Just my opinion. Have a good day and have fun on the trail.

Whew...I thought there was a ripple in my sanity so I just ignored it and moved on. It's good to know my sanity was still stable at least at the moment I read his post.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger, I have read a lot of your comments and posts and I can say that Yes your sanity is stable and intact. Mine, I think so...

--------------
 Post Number: 24
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah,
you're both nuts!

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

toes, I resemble that remark.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have no plausible deniability.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lets all get in the woods this weekend! I will bring my new Sea to Summit Poncho and use it as a tent!!! And yes it weighs 3oz more than the new sil version. Have fun every one

--------------
 Post Number: 28
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

This cheap bag is out the door and into the woods for a few.
Have a great weekend, wherever you are!

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
27 replies since Jun. 05 2013, 6:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cheap Bag
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions