2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Are you Bear Aware?, How do you secure your food?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kovert Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 1:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BE BEAR AWARE & WILDLIFE STEWARDSHIP MONTH was in May, and I wanted to see what the group does to be "Bear Aware." There are a variety of options to secure your food when camping, and I wanted to know how people secure their food and transport it?

Do you use a bear canister?
Do you prefer to hang your food?
Do you float your food?
Do you use an odor proof bag?
Or do you use an Ursak?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depending on the land management group, I either use an Ursack or a Bear Vault.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How do you carry your Bear Vault or bear canister?  Do you put it in a bag or use straps or some other method?
 Post Number: 4
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canister
Inside my pack
 Post Number: 5
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a Bearikade, inside my pack.
 Post Number: 6
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kovert @ Jun. 09 2013, 10:47 am)
How do you carry your Bear Vault or bear canister?  Do you put it in a bag or use straps or some other method?

I carry it inside my pack.  My old pack could fit 2 BV500s in horizontally, one on top of the other.  My new pack holds one, vertically.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bear Vault, inside pack.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Garcia, Bearikade Expedition, previously an Ursack Hybrid, all inside my pack. Previously simple cloth stuff sacks counter balance hung.

Outside would be unbalanced and too much sway for my taste.

I largely hike the California Sierra so I'm resigned to hard canisters and have sort of gotten used to the convenience ( "Bear canisters are Fast Food!" tm pending), though never mentally getting over the added weight.

Appreciate the canisters more for their anti-rodent effect than anything else. Their regulation compliance aside....

Oh and: Load  center of gravity aside the non-negotiable issue would be a case with enough connection points and straps to guarantee ZERO sway. Because sooner or later you're going to be going over some rough ground ( even if just at the end of the day as one heads off trail the requisite distance to camp complying with the usual instance from trails regulations) and any pack load movement is a danger I will not tolerate.
 Post Number: 9
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Carry my food AND smellables (can't leave them out cause they can attract) in a OpSack, I hang them all (usually the entire backpack if possible).  I stay away from canisters.... I don't camp where they are required. Been doing this for 30 years in bear, ringtail, deer mouse, etc country of the SW and Rockies.
 Post Number: 10
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kovert @ Jun. 09 2013, 1:42 pm)
Do you float your food?
Or do you use an Ursak?

It depends on where I am.

Where it is required I use a canister carried inside my pack.
Where it is legal and makes sense to do so I hang my food.
I have never floated my food.
I have never used odor proof bags.
I have not yet used an Ursack, but am intrigued by the concept.

I have camped a lot in bear country and never had a bear get into my food.  I have had raccoon get into it though.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I don't know too many people who would float their food.  I think it's kinda extreme, but I have heard of people doing it.
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And I've heard of bears reeling it in, the same with food hung over the edge of a cliff.

Well with a species that has had members that could properly open a a toyota using the door-latch (Yosemite a couple of years back) I guess that shouldn't be uprising.

:)
 Post Number: 13
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hang or dedicated locker at the site.  I trek mostly in the Canadian Rocky Mountains and the Parks provide bear hanging poles.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It all depends, If bping then it's a BearVault 500 in the pack. If out canoeing then  30L blue barrels stashed off in the woods away from the campsite. If I'm going to a place with dedicated bear poles or lockers than I use a stuff sack with a OPSAK in it.
 Post Number: 15
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 09 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canister where required such as NPs, hang in "other" wilderness which is most of the time for me and I solo in griz country..

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 16
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 12:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Usually just hang it.   Never have used a canister and never had a problem.  Yet!

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see that a lot of people use canisters and some hang their food.  What parks forbid you to hang your food and only allow you to use canisters?
 Post Number: 18
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kovert @ Jun. 10 2013, 10:18 am)
I see that a lot of people use canisters and some hang their food.  What parks forbid you to hang your food and only allow you to use canisters?

Yosemite, for one, and you have to use one of the canisters on their approved list.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 19
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It isn't just the parks, but an entire region of the California mts.  Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and all of the wilderness areas around them.  Also, in places in the Eastern ranges, Adirondacks  and such, the bears have learn to forage from hikers, so hard sided canisters are required there as well.  

--------------

Post Number: 20
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hanging food - no regulations for canisters here in Central Ontario. I don't use scent-proof bags, never seemed to have attracted any unwanted attention - so far. The bears here are usually pretty timid, not a lot of people and garbage left around in the vicinity of the parks.

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 09 2013, 6:03 pm)
And I've heard of bears reeling it in, the same with food hung over the edge of a cliff.

Well with a species that has had members that could properly open a a toyota using the door-latch (Yosemite a couple of years back) I guess that shouldn't be uprising.

:)

Also recently in British Columbia:

http://www.cbc.ca/news....ar.html

Embedded video shows the bear open a door with a practised ease. Disconcerning.
 Post Number: 21
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kovert @ Jun. 09 2013, 1:42 pm)
Do you float your food?
Or do you use an Ursak?

Nope, not required anywhere I hike currently
Yep, I toss a line between two trees, with the food bag suspended in the middle about 50-60 yards from camp (usually).  I also hang the pots and pans from the same line so I can hear them banging incase someone comes calling.  Usually just raccoons todate.
Unless you're referring to what I do above, this makes no sense to me as bears are great swimmers
I ziplock everything, and the hang bag is a dry sack, so I would suspect I use odor resistant bags.
Nope, interested in them, but since I dont go where they are required, I've never dropped the $$$ on one.

Most of my hikes are in Michigan, where our bears are generally small and usually stay well away from humans.  Those that don't end up as rugs and dinner  :)
 Post Number: 22
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Bare Boxer, Bear Vault Solo, and Bearikade Expedition. I only use canisters in the Sierra no matter the rules. I hang on the coast where the concern is raccoons. I have hung food in other bear areas, but only where there are no habituated bears.

I never trusted Opsacks and a recent test by backpackinglight.com suggests that neither ziplocks, Foodsaver, or Opsacks work well for dogs, so it's doubtful they are going to be any good against bears. I see no reason to waste space in a canister trying to mold it to the inside in addition to using the canister.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 23
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also hang the pots and pans from the same line so I can hear them banging in case someone comes calling

Damn fine idea..plus they dry better

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 24
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use an Ursack unless I'm someplace that requires something else.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kovert @ Jun. 10 2013, 7:18 am)

As ol-zeke mentioned, in most of the Sierra canisters are required for food and other smell-ables storage.  I've just become used to using one and it's not a big deal anymore.

It's actually nice to know your stuff is safe from ALL the critters, not just the bears.  And I don't have to bother trying to find just the right branch to hang my stuff from.  Plus the canister can double as a stool or a cocktail table.
 Post Number: 26
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 8:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jun. 10 2013, 7:08 pm)
Plus the canister can double as a stool or a cocktail table.

Or washing machine, sink, water carrier, etc.......................

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 27
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sleep with my food.  Bear messes with me ends up being tomorrows dinner.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 28
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 10 2013, 8:53 pm)
I sleep with my food.  Bear messes with me ends up being tomorrows dinner.

Color me dubious - from your user pic, you're toothless, yet poisonous.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 29
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 9:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Color me orange.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 10 2013, 6:21 pm)
Color me orange.

Is sleeping with your food anything like butting a lemon?
67 replies since Jun. 09 2013, 1:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Are you Bear Aware?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions