2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gear Retailers for hiker from Australia< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reandt Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 11:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm an experienced hiker from Australia and intend to spend 3 to 4 months in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado in summer and autumn 2014 hiking solo.

I prefer not to pack heaps of gear for the flight from Australia but will bring a pack, trekking poles, inflatable mattress, small items and some clothing.

I would like to replace several items in any event and will buy new in the USA as it seems cheaper and there is a bigger range. These items include:

Sleeping bag
Tent
Gore-Tex outer shell
Hiking boots (yes, I will wear them in first  :D )
US specific items such as bear cannister, maps etc.
Also food (my dehydrator will stay at home  :( ), gas cannisters etc.

I prefer to do one big shop at a single outlet (possibly in Denver or maybe Bozeman depending on my itinerary)

It appears as if LL Bean and EMS are only in the East  leaving REI as the obvious choice or maybe Eddie Bauer. I would really appreciate some recommendations and advice on what my options are.

Thanks,

reandt

--------------
"Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R Tolkien
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

REI - A real outdoor retailer. They will have choices and decent ones at that.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As was said, REI.  Stores in Colorado (Denver and other cities) and Montana (Bozeman and Missoula). BTW, when your time in Montana roles around, get hold of me.  I live there. Be glad to help you out in any way I can.  If you're really interested, you can p.m. me and we'll exchange e-mails.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on REI

Hope you enjoy your trip! You'll appreciate the lack of land-leeches, fewer and less venomous snakes, and lack of giant and/or highly poisonous spiders. :)
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Jun. 11 2013, 5:30 pm)
You'll appreciate the lack of land-leeches, fewer and less venomous snakes, and lack of giant and/or highly poisonous spiders. :)

But there are grizzly bears in these parts. :laugh:

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're looking for a "one-stop-shop for everything" kinda place, I'm gonna go out on a limb here :p and recommend REI as well.  As Jer noted, stores are both in Denver and in Bozeman.  I can't speak about the one in Bozeman, but the store in Denver is one of REI's two "flagship" stores, it's pretty huge with danged-near everything REI carries in it.  There are a handful of cities elsewhere in the northern Rocky Mountains region with an REI as well.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jun. 11 2013, 7:31 pm)

(SmokeyBear @ Jun. 11 2013, 5:30 pm)
You'll appreciate the lack of land-leeches, fewer and less venomous snakes, and lack of giant and/or highly poisonous spiders. :)

But there are grizzly bears in these parts. :laugh:

Shhh, don't scare the poor guy off. ;)

Between spending some time hiking in Australia and in the Rockies, I'm not sure which I'm more concerned about - spiders or bears. At least bears you can see coming and they don't hide in your sleeping bag. :( Then again, they'll just tear right into the tent if they want.
 Post Number: 8
reandt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2013, 4:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grizzly Bears ??? Now that would be one of the big reasons for me wanting to do this trip  :) along with all that stunning mountain scenery.

I grew up in Southern Africa and my hiking included many wilderness hikes in Namibia, Botswana and Zululand where I was born. Nothing makes the adrenalin pump faster than an angry black rhino crashing through the bush.

Australian spiders are overrated  :p

Thank you so much guys for all the great advice, it is still a year away before my planned trip and I hope to learn a lot from all of you about equipment, transport, bears etc and I would love to take you up on your offer closer to the time as well hikerjer.

I may plan on starting at REI in Denver and then work my way north via Wyoming to Montana before it gets too cold.

--------------
"Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R Tolkien
 Post Number: 9
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I grew up in Southern Africa and my hiking included many wilderness hikes in Namibia, Botswana and Zululand where I was born. Nothing makes the adrenalin pump faster than an angry black rhino crashing through the bush.

Amazing! I hope one day to find myself out in that part of the world. :) Well with that experience grizzlies will probably seem cuddly by comparison then. ;)

Good luck with your trip.
8 replies since Jun. 10 2013, 11:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gear Retailers for hiker from Australia
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions