2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anyone use a 2 person tent for one person?, For the extra space?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Roscue2 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 12:26 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been looking at backpacking tents, and have begun to think of the idea of extra space in a tent for gear. Anyone else considering, or have bought, a 2 person tent for one person?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many people do that.  I'm not usually among them, but my solo tent is roomier than most.
 Post Number: 3
Roscue2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you big.
 Post Number: 4
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 1:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done that for decades.  For two people, I would use a three-person tent.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 2:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No. I purchased a five man tent....and use it solo often these days.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 5:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My primary backpacking tent is a Tarptent Double Rainbow.  When it's just me in it it's a palace.  Although I've used it with two people (and it works well for two as well) I prefer it as a solo tent.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 7
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 6:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Almost always. One for the extra room as I am tall, but mainly to be able to have all my gear inside with me. By the same token I usually use a 3-person tent for two.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 8
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 6:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not me.  I find that I really don't want/need the extra space.  Plenty of people do super-size their tents though.
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 6:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While roomy for 1 person, most tents rated for 2 people are somewhat cramped with 2.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 7:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What are the lightest 2 person tents (3 season) out there? They all seem around 5 lbs. For that matter, which are the lightest 1 person tents?
 Post Number: 11
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 7:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did it for years....I have never been satisfied with any solo tent.....but then again I am probably the only person on earth who thinks Western Mountaineering makes a lousy hood on their bags.

I have been using the Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2 at 3lbs 5 ounces.  For that kind of weight/space ratio I have not been able to find a solo tent that offers as much.  The solo version is only 7 oz lighter.  I can live with the extra weight for the extra space.....plus I got it on Steep and Cheap for less than half of the MSRP.

Only thing keeping it from perfect is I miss the 2 door 2 vestibule set up for keeping things out of the tent but within reach...

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 12
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 7:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 for my solo.
It's still light enough to carry easily by myself.
I'll also use it as a two man tent, if I'm doing a LOT of miles.  8 a day or multiday hikes.
 Post Number: 13
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heck, I use a 3 person tent for all my solo trips now---though I used to use a 2 person all the time.  And let's face it, some of the older 2 person tents were just about big enough for one. (North Face Tuolumne/Westwind.  Mt Hardwear Muir Trail/Light Wedge 2, etc).

Why go big?  There are many reasons when you're backpacking and living out for 3 weeks at a time.  This is the Hilleberg Keron at 8 lbs 10 ozs.  "Ouch!", I can hear you say.  I've been carrying it for years and don't mind the weight.

It's a big old thing but has great vestibules and great cross ventilation.

And it comes in handy in the winter on top of a mountain during a butt cold windstorm when your friends (Patman and Gonzan) need to get out of the cold.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 14
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use Mountain hardwear SuperMega UL2 for solo use and before that I used Mountain Hardwear Helion 2 for solo use also..

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 15
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You asked which are the lightest. Look at Shire's Tarptents, or Six Moon Designs.  2 person tents for about 2.5 pounds, but some of them use trekking poles for support.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 16
JonW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Jun. 11 2013, 7:20 am)
What are the lightest 2 person tents (3 season) out there? They all seem around 5 lbs. For that matter, which are the lightest 1 person tents?

The lightest two person tent that I am aware of is ZPacks Hexamid Twin - total 'all in' weight of 19.8 oz.  It is pricey at $510.

Their 'all in' one person weighs 16.0 oz.
 Post Number: 17
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I mostly use a Nemo Meta 2 (courtesy of Ray Estrella) which weighs in at a modest 3 pounds 6 ounces and uses trekking poles.  It is cavernous, even for a 2 person tent, but light enough to carry as a solo shelter, though strictly speaking, I am not usually solo, since I generally backpack with my chesapeake bay retriever.  I have been eyeing the Big Agnes Scout, which lacks a vestibule, but has a roomy interior and comes in at under 2 pounds.
 Post Number: 18
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My five man comes in at under 3 lbs including pole, floors and bug skirt.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 19
aseege1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ive got the msr carbon reflex 2.  ive never put 2 in it.  love to have my pack and everything scattered around me for easy access.
 Post Number: 20
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mjeck @ Jun. 11 2013, 5:20 am)

Tarptent Double Rainbow, everything including MSR pegs, in its sack,-- 2# 12.6 oz.  

Stephenson's 2RSBD (actually big enough for 2), everything including extra stakes and guys for the side windows, 3# 9.0 oz.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 21
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jun. 11 2013, 7:53 am)
My five man comes in at under 3 lbs including pole, floors and bug skirt.

Yep: for lots of acreage and low weight floorless is the way to go.
 Post Number: 22
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would always use a 2P for backpacking.

For one person:

1P: emergency shelter for kayak daytrip. Don't have this but have often thought of getting it after a mishap.
2P: backpacking, kayak camping, bike camping
3P: car camping, maybe kayak camping depending on size
 Post Number: 23
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another Tarptent Double Rainbow solo user..

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 24
jcb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Smd lunar duo. 43oz.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
 Post Number: 25
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sure.  Magellen Kings Mountain II from Academy Sport.  Bought two at $26 and $18 respectively.  Very roomy for just me.  Cheap enough to toss if necessarry.  Oh, less than five pounds.  My favorite is my texsport pup tent.  Learned how to rig it with my hiking poles and it carries at 2 lb, 12 oz.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 26
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an old Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight that's still in good shape.  TAbout the only time I take it when going solo is when my dog is with me, if that's really going solo. Actaully, that raises an interesting question, if you're dog is you only companion, are you going solo or not. ???

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 27
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jun. 11 2013, 8:57 pm)
Actaully, that raises an interesting question, if you're dog is you only companion, are you going solo or not. ???

I think your dog would be offended if you answered solo.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 28
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Using a 2-person as a solo tent used to make sense but with UL fabrics, now there's some pretty light offerings in the "1+" category (Tarptent Moment, the discontinued MH Stiletto, etc.. ).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 29
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 2:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All th e time. Kelty Salida 2.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 30
chinadill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Terra Nova Solar Photon 2 with Ruta Locura carbon poles 1lb. 14.7oz.
44 replies since Jun. 11 2013, 12:26 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anyone use a 2 person tent for one person?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions