2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hexamid solo plus, ZPacks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 5:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone? Hexamid Solo-Plus Tent w/ Screen, Extended Beak, and a Groundsheet.....do you love it?

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
author unknown
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love looking at it and wishing I could afford it.  Seriously though, I think it looks like a great shelter.  I'm not so sure about the mesh floor though.  Seems like it could absorb water and pick up a lot of crap.  Plus being in the desert, I can see getting a lot of dust and dirt inside.  But, if I'm  that worried about dirt, guess I should just stay home.  
If I was going to buy one, I'd ask Joe if he could sew in a floor for me.  

Probably a lot of opinions on BPL about it.
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Considered that one and the twin but got a Trailstar (MLD) instead, mostly because it fit the gap I was trying to fill among the tents I already own. I traded in bug protection for more coverage and simplicity.

I broke my ankle on the mainden voyage, so have very little experience with it, but I admit to not being completely sold on the cuben fiber thing so far. It wasn't obvious to me until I got it, how much bulkier cuben is than silnylon. My DIY silnylon 2-person tarp easily packs down to the size of a Nalgene bottle; the Trailstar is twice as big and the material costs 5 times as much.  I think it's worth it in harsh conditions, as it's significantly stronger and more waterproof but, for me, my preferred harsh conditions are heat and dryness (i.e. deserts), not rain and wind, so whether I stand to really take advantage of its better performance factors to warrant the high cost, I'm not sure.

I'll say this though. Cuben tarps have a reputation for being more difficult to set than silnylon but I haven't found this to be the case.  I think its relative stiffness makes it easier in some ways.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, Bearpaw Wilderness offers basically the exact same shelter as the Hexamid Plus, it's called the Lair.  Owners name is John and he offers a few more options than zpacks.  You can even get it in all silnylon to save some cash.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmmm. Bearpaw wilderness is interesting also. I like the canopy tarp with the 1.5 inner net. There is some potential there also. I actually got an email from zpacks about their inner bug net for the hexamid solo plus tarp..he is currently working on a new set up to prevent sagging of the inner net.  I really like the idea of the options with either one of these. I like that you can just use the tarp for none buggy season and u can can use the bug screen net for buggy season with the tarp...or just use the netting alone without the tarp. I also like the idea of a "solid" floor rather then netting. I am curious though, how the set up is useing a hiking pole to pitch it?  Anyone use anything like this? Is it sturdy?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 6
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should have an inner shipping out tomorrow, so I am crossing my fingers that it will be here by Saturday. And of course once it gets here I will do a video on it...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 5:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very cool Stick. Can't wait. I think I like the idea of that setup better then the 1 piece with mesh floor...looking forward to your opinions. Thanks again for all your help

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 8
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've worn out two of the regular solos.  I like the low weight but I prefer my TT Notch.
7 replies since Jun. 14 2013, 5:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hexamid solo plus
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions