2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: mosquito  proof hiking clothing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 12:12 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you want to be able to cope with mosquitoes? Then you need the right kind of clothing to start with.  Thus no t-shirt, shorts, and baseball cap in mosquito season.  As a result of posting some of this info on another outdoor site, I noted Big 5 Sporting Goods currently has this below hat that is regularly $20 for just $15 for the next week. So just went and bought a spare today myself.  Easily the best hat to protect against bugs and the sun.  Unlike most sun hats it is adjustable.

The well designed sun hat I've been wearing now almost two decades is a no model name Dorfman Pacific model at center in this current ad on Big 5 Sporting Goods:

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5....=-98565

Has a large bill and a cordlock neck strap which comes in handy during windy conditions but can be wrapped up and stowed in the back. The neck drape is velcro attached to the cap which is a rare but important feature allowing detachment if desired.  No bugs, no sun, you got a baseball cap.   I've never seen the model available from online vendors so best to phone up your local Big 5 stores for availability.

The next key piece of clothing is a top that is light, not hot, and with a tight synthetic weave that mosquito probosci cannot poke through.  Not all synthetics are functional especially some soft polyester weaves that are not dense enough weave or quickly wear thin spots by use.  Nylon is sure to be a tight weave and robust.  Here are two nylon shells I actually bought online:

http://www.amazon.com/gp....8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Kariban....breaker

This person last year wearing the former while descending steep talus:

While carrying a backpack, I often wear them without anything underneath and the front mostly unzipped. Though I prefer uncoated nylon shells since they are slightly cooler, no one seems to make shells uncoated anymore unless one bothers with a custom order because coated fabrics manufacturers use are cheaper due to volume pricing. In any case they do not absorb sweat and dry out quickly though admittedly don't feel as nice as cotton but while carrying a heavy pack up a mountain, I doubt any of us are thinking about that.  Also hastwo zippered side pockets, draw sting waist, elastic wrist band.  The former also has a hood.

For pants Google for similar materials. Note many of those pricy lightweight synthetic pants designed for hikers ( the ones with all those cargo pockets) rarely were designed with mosquitoes in mind and are usually not nylon but rather various softer synthetics like polyester that supposedly feel better. I have doubts on their ability to keep out probosci.  There are however some made from tight nylon weaves.  One is more likely to find nylon used in running and warmup suits.

So what does that leave?  100% DEET for the small amount of skin not covered on face, wrists, hands.   Small amount of skin to apply DEET on also means less likely a weird reaction.   Do I ever get bit?  Sure a few times over a week out but it is usually on my wrists or back of hands after dipping my hands into water for the myriad usual chores before DEETing up again.  Each summer I visit some of the worst places because that is also when landscape photographer is often most aesthetic with wildflowers, lots of still running water, and snow dappling the big peaks.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent.
I've always preferred just covering up to dousing myself from head to toe in DEET.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I prefer permethrin soaked nylon myself.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No face covering, no sale.

So a baseball cap and a headnet gives face protection as well as neck protection with a lot better ventilation to my view.
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 15 2013, 2:31 pm)

So a baseball cap and a headnet gives face protection as well as neck protection with a lot better ventilation to my view.

+1

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For my sanity's sake anyway the central issue is NOT pushing my claustrophobia button ( and I night dive without lights so its not like I'm extra sensitive) by having a hovering hoard right in front of my eyes deterred from landing by repellant or no. Since they chemically track on CO2 there's a natural focus on the face where the nose and mouth are, and keeping them off a ways with the bill supported net gives me some welcomed "space" I've found.

A realization I had one trip where there were hardly any flyers except at intermittent stream crossings: yet on a cross slope stretch where I was repeately being greeted by clouds at those crossings I found myself, with a full 8 day pack, running at and through the crossings to minimize that awful cloud crowding in on my face.....

ETA: otoh that neck drape makes that hat a very nice high elevation sun protector, so add in a headnet and it would work quite nicely. Better most likely than a drape-less baseball cap m
 Post Number: 7
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We always of course each carry those military headnets and in fact I own several that I lend to others if they do not.

http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/m/1/167523_ts.jpg

However I almost never wear a headnet while carrying a backpack or daypack but rather when sitting around like at camp.  I find hiking wearing a headnet a serious visual impairment especially since I am often off trails.   Headnets are particularly necessary where black flies are numerous because those tiny beasts are sometimes deterred by anything less than a fresh DEET application.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 8
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 15 2013, 2:31 pm)

My strategy is based on the status of the skeeters.  I always carry a full net but only use it when it's absolutely necessary.  I don't like the visual obstruction of the net.  

Sometimes I'll drape a bandana from underneath my ball cap for a little extra sun and bug protection.  This doesn't do the trick when the skeeters are thick though.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

for sure: as needed. Though when I'm cross sloping past a series of intermittant streams with their bug rich riparian zones I'll sometimes simply flip the netting up back over the cap rather than remove it completely.
8 replies since Jun. 15 2013, 12:12 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply mosquito  proof hiking clothing
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions