2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 Tent, Any thoughts?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Russ42 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 6:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.rei.com/product/827914/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul3-tent

Looking at purchasing this tent due to space issues. My fiance and I went out camping with a couple of friends and the dog and found out there is not enough space in my current tent for all of us (REI Half Dome). Just looking for some opinions on this tent or maybe some great alternatives to it.

I am 6'6" 275 lbs, she is 5'3 110, and the great 85 lbs labrador retriever.

Thanks for your time.

--------------
Doing what you like is freedom..
Liking what you do is happiness..

Leave nothing but footprints...
Take nothing but pictures...
Kill nothing but time...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Could you go floorless, ie a tarp or mid design? That type gives more sheltered area for the weight.
 Post Number: 3
Russ42 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't mind it but i think the fiance wants something that is fully enclosed. That and don't have to worry about tying the dog to something.(He tends to lay against a wall and on my fiance and he wants out as soon as he finds a hole in the morning.)

--------------
Doing what you like is freedom..
Liking what you do is happiness..

Leave nothing but footprints...
Take nothing but pictures...
Kill nothing but time...
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've the BA Emerald Mountain 2 which is the Copper Spur in heavier materials and I like its use of interior volume, the walls are pretty vertical so the interior is large for the footprint, the 3 would be the same. The build quality is good.  I've used it a fair bit with no issues.

For use with a dog an inner floor liner, maybe tyvek, might be useful for the CS lighter floor. The two door, vestibule layout is a plus for multiple people, a situation where my preference for side doors is validated for sure.
 Post Number: 5
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I liked the CS3 but there are better tents in my opinion.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

The kids and I went from it to the Mutha Hubba,

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

And finally to the Carbon Reflex 3 that we still use once in a while.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin....FflOPps

Our main one now is the Tarptent Hogback. More room for less weight and still double-wall.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 6
FSGOLD Search for posts by this member.
FloridaTrekker

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have had this tent for about 5 years.  It has been great and is my favorite. Have a GoLite Shangri-La 5, REI Half Dome and large Eureka and have used tents by Marmot and others. Have in excess of 100 nights in it. Recently had to seam seal it as the tape had begun to come off and there were some leaks through the seams.

The tent has been through all types of weather including severe thunderstorms with nearby tornado's, hot Florida Summers, etc. I have slept in it with my two teenage sons and we all used 20" x 72" BA insulated aircores with no problem and can place all 3 packs in the vestibules.

The only issue I have is am not a fan of the door design and find it to be a bit of a pain, but  the tent has done very well and BA  Service on their products has always been excellent.

My son is ging to be a junior in high school and he has told me he is taking the tent when he goes to college.  :D

--------------
FloridaTrekker
 Post Number: 7
frmertd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i hope all the reviewers caught that you are 6'6".
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frmertd @ Jun. 21 2013, 11:16 am)

So you're thinking what? One of the "Plus" REI's? They're 4 to 6 inches longer than the 90" CS. Though a bit heavier..

Or?
 Post Number: 9
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 21 2013, 1:31 pm)

(frmertd @ Jun. 21 2013, 11:16 am)

So you're thinking what? One of the "Plus" REI's? They're 4 to 6 inches longer than the 90" CS. Though a bit heavier..

Or?
...and, as has been said many, many times before on this forum, there are other factors: the ends of both the REI "Plus" tents are sloped, as are the ends of the CSs.

I own a CS UL1 and a CS UL2. Though they are supposed to be 90" long inside, they are actually 87" - or, at least, the ones I own are - and the ends are sloped. Maybe the fly, end to end, is 90" in length. (It's plenty long enough for me, at 5'11", even with my WM Versalite, with 6" loft.)

Nevertheless (and I can't emphasize this enough), the Tarptent Scarp 1 I own is 87" long (inside dimension), and seems much roomier - mostly because the ends are vertical.

Let's face it: 6'6" = 78", plus you need something like 6" on either end (with warmer, loftier bags) for your sleeping bag's loft, so actually you need about 78" + 12", or 90" for you and your bag (More, if you're on a really thick mattress.). In the CS, even if it really was 90" long inside, considering the room needed for many warmer bags, you'd just barely have room because of the sloping walls - but the CS isn't 90" long inside. It is, by my own measure, closer to 87". But the REI "plus size" tents, as has already been mentioned, are quite a bit heavier than the CS. (I know - I recommended one for one of my "basketball center-sized" friends, and I don't like the pole arrangement of the one he got much either - a real bitch to pitch, if you get my drift: order is important. REI Half Dome 2 Plus I think I would have gone for the REI Quarter Dome Plus, which has the Marmot-originated (I think) pole system, which I like better - but I don't really know because I have no experience with that tent whatsoever.)

MORAL: Get yourself and your intended bag down to a place where you can try out the tent you intend to buy. Nothing else will do - esp. for someone your size. Read it and weep - they don't make many tents your size. You may have to get a lighter and shorter tent and sleep diagonally.

ETA: If you do decide to get the CS UL3 anyway, I know you can get it for less than retail in a number of places, depending on sales and such. Moontrail had it for $100 less than REI last week, for instance.
8 replies since Jun. 15 2013, 6:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 Tent
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions