2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mosquito Repellent, What do you use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kovert Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 7:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going camping in VA around July 5th, and the campground has a lot of mosquitoes, gnats and other little flying things.

I was using some citronella crystals from the camp store, but when I sprinkled them on the ground, they didn't seem to work.  Any advice on something that I can spray on the ground, etc?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kovert Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone try these?
Catnip oil contains nepatalactone, which is about 10 times more effective than "DEET", a powerful mosquito repellent.
To make catnip oil repellent, mix 1/2 teaspoon essential oil of catnip with a cup of isopropyl alcohol and a cup of water.

Original flavored Listerine that's been diluted?

Beer and baby shampoo?
http://suite101.com/article....a223911
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

30% DEET in a fingerpowered spritzer bottle, long sleeved shirt and a headnet over a baseball cap as needed.
 Post Number: 4
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

30% DEET, headnet, long sleeves, long pants. An undershirt if the long sleeve isn't treated with permethrin.

Alternatives sound nice but I get bit anyway.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 5
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dont do what I did...

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 6
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sawyer's Jungle Juice 100% Deet....very sparingly.
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And if you don't want DEET (I get sick from it), there are some natural ones that work fairly well, Natrapel for one.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Deet on skin, Permethrin on clothing. It simply works.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent on skin

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12911314

Permethrin on clothing

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 10
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Repel Lemon Eucalyptus.  I still chuckle at how good that stuff works for me w/blackflies and skeeters in the Adirondacks

Keeps everything at bay.....plus makes for a great deodorant :)

I may have to bring along some of that Sawyer for a test run.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 11
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Scotch and cigars. Permethrin on my cloth

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 12
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jun. 17 2013, 11:15 pm)

On everything.  Here in the Deep South that's important.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 13
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 17 2013, 5:05 pm)
30% DEET in a fingerpowered spritzer bottle, long sleeved shirt and a headnet over a baseball cap as needed.

This is pretty much my strategy as well.  I try to cover up first and only use the DEET for when it's really needed.

I have had better luck with the nylon button-up style shirts over a light base layer as opposed to just a LS t-shirt.  Skeeters often bite right through a t-shirt when they're determined enough.  I will usually wear long pants as well when the bugs are bad.
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jun. 18 2013, 8:17 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jun. 17 2013, 5:05 pm)

This is pretty much my strategy as well.  I try to cover up first and only use the DEET for when it's really needed.

I have had better luck with the nylon button-up style shirts over a light base layer as opposed to just a LS t-shirt.  Skeeters often bite right through a t-shirt when they're determined enough.  I will usually wear long pants as well when the bugs are bad.

Yep, nice baggy shirt. I tend towards blue chambray workshirts, mostly because it's what I first used for rock climbing (yes they got shredded) and got into the habit.... I've a bunch of lighter "outdoor" shirts I might give a try this year as they have better ventilation and it looks like a thirsty August is coming up.

The two places that tend to get a preventitive spray are the backs of my hands and behind my knees.

Oh and I also carry one of those Cutter Off sticks for precise placement.
 Post Number: 15
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kovert @ Jun. 17 2013, 6:50 pm)
I'm going camping in VA around July 5th, and the campground has a lot of mosquitoes, gnats and other little flying things.

I was using some citronella crystals from the camp store, but when I sprinkled them on the ground, they didn't seem to work.  Any advice on something that I can spray on the ground, etc?

I don't see much point in spraying anything on the ground. "Campground", as in electricity? Take a fan and a bug zapper :D

I use 25% DEET(Deep Woods OFF transferred to a little spritzer bottle), or sometimes the Repel lemon eucalyptus stuff, around the ankles, knees, wrists, elbows, and neck, and only occasionally get a bite on my legs, back or torso.
I carry a headnet, and ear plugs for when the buzzing starts driving me nuts. Mosquitoes don't seem that attracted to me; it's the gnats I hate.
 Post Number: 16
RaymondMillbrae Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DEET, when the skeeto's get bad. (Deep foliage, and dusk/dawn). I also treat all my clothes with Sawyers. (Let them dry overnight). A mosquito head net over my boonie hat if its really bad.(I carry the awesome Sea to Summit net).  And if you have a little room, a Thermocell  mosquito repellant. Its great for around base camp, or when chilling and reading a book. Each pad lasts for 4 hours

In Christ: Raymond
 Post Number: 17
3-gun. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 for Repel Lemon Eucalyptus. Works well for me.

--------------
"But the new Admin. is a Master in IDPA"
"MASTER in IDPA..."
"is like C Class in IPSC!"
 Post Number: 18
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Long sleeves, wide-brimmed hat, and a head net if I need it.  Even with the worst bugs, I don't like to use chemicals.
 Post Number: 19
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use Ultrathon time-release repellent (30% lotion) when I deem it necessary.  I use it sparingly, a little goes a long way.  Otherwise I go without, which is most the time.

"When I deem it necessary" is an entirely subjective measure. :D

ETA: I also use permethrin on the clothing, applying 1-2x a year to my clothing, especially before any long trip.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 20
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jun. 17 2013, 8:15 pm)

+1.

Highly recommend 30% DEET lotion -- such as 3M's Ultrathon.

But if you use 100% DEET - such as Jungle Juice -- use ONLY 4-6 drops total per application - and apply no more than twice each day.  The concentration may melt certain plastics.

Finally -- unconventional, I know -- but I've done this for years now and it works:  mix your sunblock lotion with your DEET lotion -- and simply apply twice a day.  No need for separate containers or applications.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 21
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben

I wouldn't EVER recommend mixing the 2, and especially if using 100% DEET.

100% DEET should, IMO, only be a spray on, not a lotion .. and used sparingly, as you (and others) have said. Using it as a lotion and rubbing it into the skin is not good form, imo.

If it used as a lotion, I'd apply it over a layer of sunblock.

It's toxic stuff.

IMO, the best choice is described above - bug proof clothes, and then try to ignore the bugs as much as possible. A little DEET on hands and head, and that should be about all that's required.

We're having a buggy spring/early summer here. Anchorage is about out of most home and car camping bug repellent systems.

Buggy year.

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Walkinman:

There is no such thing as a 100% DEET "lotion".  The highest DEET lotion that I know of anyway is 30% -- such as the 3M Ultrathon that I use.  It's why I used the word "lotion" above.

I mix this in equal parts with sunblock lotion.  Effective -- and saves a bit of time, effort, and pack space.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 23
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, but there are 100% DEET solutions that aren't a pump spray, and are applied by rubbing them on. That's what I meant.

I wouldn't recommend mixing any DEET application with a sunblock lotion, but, as I said above, apply the DEET after a layer of sunblock has been applied.

--------------

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 24
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben, sunblock absorbs in to the skin.  DEET should not.  Do your sunblock, wait 15 minutes, then a little DEET.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 18 2013, 1:23 pm)
Ben, sunblock absorbs in to the skin.  DEET should not.  Do your sunblock, wait 15 minutes, then a little DEET.

TDale:

What you wrote above is 'theory'.  I tested to see if mixing really made any practical (noticeable) difference in efficacy -- and nope -- it didn't.  No reason to carry two different containers and wait 15 minutes to apply two separate applications at all.

BTW, mixing is effective enough to sustain volume production:

--------------
 Post Number: 26
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 18 2013, 12:43 pm)

(TDale @ Jun. 18 2013, 1:23 pm)

TDale:

What you wrote above is 'theory'.  I tested to see if mixing really made any practical (noticeable) difference in efficacy -- and nope -- it didn't.  No reason to carry two different containers and wait 15 minutes to apply two separate applications at all.

BTW, mixing is effective enough to sustain volume production:

Ben

You just showed a product that is 80% DEET and a lotion; that's way close enough to 100%.

Further, the issue with DEET absorbing to the skin isn't simply "efficacy"; the greater one is our health.

DEET is a toxic product. I wouldn't recommend mixing it with a sunblock to be absorbed into the skin.

--------------

Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know.  Just to show that mixing isn't my own 'crazy' idea.  Manufacturers even mix sunblock with as high as 80% DEET!

My own -- as stated -- sunblock with 30% DEET.  :cool:

--------------
 Post Number: 28
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And yet, in Post #22, you said

The highest DEET lotion that I know of anyway is 30% -- such as the 3M Ultrathon that I use.

Which seems to not be the case, given that just minutes later you post examples contradicting yourself.

--------------

Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Jun. 18 2013, 2:11 pm)
And yet, in Post #22, you said

The highest DEET lotion that I know of anyway is 30% -- such as the 3M Ultrathon that I use.

Which seems to not be the case, given that just minutes later you post examples contradicting yourself.

Irrelevant.  Point is:  mixing works well -- and there is a market out there as well.  My own take:  I am more than happy with my own 30% DEET and sunblock mix -- and more is not always better.

Maybe give it a try?

--------------
 Post Number: 30
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

"irrelevant"? Why would you say something you know full well to be untrue?

I'm glad you're happy with it. I don't recommend anyone else doing so.

--------------

41 replies since Jun. 17 2013, 7:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mosquito Repellent
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions