2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Alternative footprint for Marmot Boreas 3p< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Harrison Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 11:05 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi, I'm having no luck locating a Boreas 3p footprint. Can anyone suggests another tent footprint that might work?

Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Painter's tarp or Tyvek.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The fastest, cheapes, and lightest solution is to make your own.  Get some thick mylar from Home Depot or Lowe's.
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go by a construction site and ask for some leftover Tyvek. Works great.  Just was it first to get rid of the krinkles and noise. when yo fold it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
Harrison Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys, found a thread illustrating how to attach grommets to tyvek, great solution!
 Post Number: 6
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 6:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably don't need the grommets. It just lays there under your tent. Make sure you cut it so it is smaller then the tent fly so no water runs off the fly onto the foot print.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Jun. 19 2013, 3:47 am)
Probably don't need the grommets. It just lays there under your tent. Make sure you cut it so it is smaller then the tent fly so no water runs off the fly onto the foot print.

+1

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 8
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It doesn't have to be bullet proof.  Mainly protecting the floor of the tent from abrasion.  If it has a few holes in it, and they are not general pressure points from foot traffic, hip or shoulders you can wait for a replacement.

Cut the material about an inch less than the actual foot print of the tent.  You'd rather not have a water channel between the tent floor and the footprint. The tent floor provides the weather proofing.

Tyvek is overkill unless you have another use for it as well.

I've used the cheapest lightest weight material that was functional.  Painter plastic comes in sheets that will give you a lifetime of foot prints and light enuf to take a spare - depending on your level of paranoia.  I used a cheap red/white checkered Italian table cloth for years.  I could see if it was set up right if none of the checkers showed.

I had a chance for some really, REALLY cheap (free) sylnylon that is firestorm orange.  Weighs an oz and fits in corner of tent bag or my hand. I added corner tie-outs to hold it down in a blow so that I'd have something to pitch my tent on.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
7 replies since Jun. 17 2013, 11:05 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Alternative footprint for Marmot Boreas 3p
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions