2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Therm-a-Rest XTherm, one-pad wonder< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 5:44 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really think this could be a one-pad solution for most folks.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 6:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks pretty narrow. I never liked the tapered pads. Laying on my side with my legs comfortably spread out I had a hard time staying on them.

I use the Neoair large the old one that has no taper and like it. If I do lay on my back, even with it's width, my arms are usually not on the pad. But since I wake myself up from snoring I usually don't stay on my back too long :)

Thanks for the review though

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That looks good Ray. I like my XLite, this looks to be the same dimensions and general construction. If I did true 4-seasons this would be a great option, and only 4 oz more for the extra insulation I agree could be a one-pad solution.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 4
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

dang it...they dont make that pad in a small???

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 5
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Ray for the excellent geartest review.  They have some neato reviews there.

I own a NeoAir All Season (predates the XTherm by a year or so) and it therefore had the highest Rvalue of all NeoAirs at the time.

Thing is, after a couple trips I was "too afraid" or just too cautious to use it as my stand alone pad as I was hearing all sorts of NeoAir failures and surprise leaks on the hiker grapevine.  People were wondering they their Neos were losing air thru the night and several found leaks on the laminated tube welds, etc.

Then I met Backpacker maximus Christine Thuermer the German Tourist on the BMT near Big Frog Mt who had to pull a zero motel day due to a surprise NeoAir leak on her winter trip.  Oops.  She told me all about her ordeal with the thing.  Her final opinion?  In her words:  "NEVER trust a NeoAir!"  But don't take my word for it, see her blog---

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com/2013....ed.html

Beyond this, I believe a valuable NeoAir review (or any gear review) would be at least 200 nights with the thing before judgment.  This amount of time is needed to bring trust to a piece of gear, especially one as critical as an inflatable sleeping pad.  It's all about longevity.

My NeoAir in action at Barrel Gap by Trail 149 in the Citico.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 6
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 7:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was initially seduced by the X-lite -- but found it a bit cold for me -- even at 30F.  So I sucked up and swapped it for the X-therm instead.  A couple more ounces heavier -- but still quite a bit lighter than my old REI self inflator.  And yes, the X-therm is noticeably warmer.  It's a keeper for me.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Jun. 19 2013, 6:44 am)
Looks pretty narrow. I never liked the tapered pads.

+1.  While I like the compactness and weight of my neo-air, I wish they would have made it wider and not so long.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jun. 19 2013, 8:40 pm)
While I like the compactness and weight of my neo-air, I wish they would have made it wider and not so long.

lots of folks over on bpl have cut down and resealed their neoairs.  I believe they just use a heat gun.  I've cut down a large original neoair and a large xtherm but I reseal them with an ultrasonic welder.  This is how they'd be sealed in the factory.
 Post Number: 9
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 6:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 19 2013, 5:07 pm)
I own a NeoAir All Season

In her words:  "NEVER trust a NeoAir!"

I believe a valuable NeoAir review (or any gear review) would be at least 200 nights with the thing before judgment.

Yeah I have an All Season too.

But why doesn't she just say "don't trust any inflatable pad in winter"? I have (and reviewed) inflatable winter pads from Exped and Kooka Bay and they have the same disability.

Yeah getting 200 nights in with a piece of gear would be great. But by then it would be old news... ;-)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 10
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 19 2013, 3:07 pm)
Then I met Backpacker maximus Christine Thuermer the German Tourist on the BMT near Big Frog Mt who had to pull a zero motel day due to a surprise NeoAir leak on her winter trip.  Oops.  She told me all about her ordeal with the thing.  Her final opinion?  In her words:  "NEVER trust a NeoAir!"  But don't take my word for it, see her blog---

How about don't trust someone who by her own admission doesn't even know how to easily identify where the problem is?

Find a stream? How about warm up a cup of water, put a drop of soap in it and put it on the inflated pad? Bingo- hole found. That lady is no genius- thats for sure.

Beyond that- yeah, a CCF is useful for more than backup in winter. Like for sitting, etc. I still take one in addition to my DAM. And it's repair kit. And the knowledge on how to properly identify the problem and fix it.

And the cozy trick doesn't work for long. See "Boyles law". Need to inroduce heat into the system.

What her blog tell me is that she doen't really know what she is doing in winter and passes judgement based on her lack of knowledge. Brilliant.

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 19 2013, 6:07 pm)
Beyond this, I believe a valuable NeoAir review (or any gear review) would be at least 200 nights with the thing before judgment.  This amount of time is needed to bring trust to a piece of gear, especially one as critical as an inflatable sleeping pad.  It's all about longevity.

I have an original NeoAir. Have had it for more than 4 years I think... since a few months after they were put out on the market anyway, however long that is.

I'm approaching 200 nights with it.

No leaks.
No issues.
No problems.
No slow deflation, no crinkling, nothing but ... sleep.

I reviewed a Big Agnes Q Core last year and have been using that half of the time I spend on the ground since then. So it will be a little slower as I approach 200 nights with the NeoAir, but it will probably come along soon....

I'm pretty sure people who use inflatables and have issues over-inflate them on a regular basis. My Q Core sprung a leak on me after I loaned it to someone who proceeded to blow it up to stiff as a board state and then wriggle and wrangle around on it as if it's not essentially a big plastic bag full of air.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 12
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll have to keep this one in mind.  So far the Xlite fills my needs quite well, but I've only had it down to the upper 20s (F).
 Post Number: 13
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 8:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a video showing cutting down a regular neoair.  

Cutting Down Neoair
 Post Number: 14
FamilyGuy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jun. 20 2013, 6:04 am)

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 19 2013, 5:07 pm)
I own a NeoAir All Season

In her words:  "NEVER trust a NeoAir!"

I believe a valuable NeoAir review (or any gear review) would be at least 200 nights with the thing before judgment.

Yeah I have an All Season too.

But why doesn't she just say "don't trust any inflatable pad in winter"? I have (and reviewed) inflatable winter pads from Exped and Kooka Bay and they have the same disability.

Yeah getting 200 nights in with a piece of gear would be great. But by then it would be old news... ;-)

I had an original NeoAir and it leaked like a sieve.  So did the second one.  Only Exped for me now.

...And that was only over 8 nights.   :laugh:

Regardless, thanks for doing the review.

--------------
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."
 Post Number: 15
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

$220 at REI - it better sing me to sleep.

The price of my XLite was painful but it's been amazingly durable - by far the best pad I've owned. My BA insulated air core weighs twice as much and leaks like a sieve.
14 replies since Jun. 19 2013, 5:44 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Therm-a-Rest XTherm
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions