2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hiking boots with wide toe-box< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
coriacea Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 8:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in the market for a new pair of hiking boots and am having some difficulty finding a good fit.  My feet are fairly wide and squared-off at the toes but normal width at the heel.  Most hiking boots rub the outside of my foot where it joins the pinkie toe.

I've taken to wearing Merrell Pace gloves for everyday use and light hiking, and love them.  The wider toe box and smaller drop of most minimalist shoes seems to suit my feet really well.  I'd love to move towards hiking boots that have a similar fit but with extra cushioning/stiffness in the sole for protection against rocks.  Something lightweight would be nice, but the fit is really what I'm going for.  

Any suggestions?  So far I've tried Keene Targhees (ok in the toes, too wide in the heel), Inov-8 400/335s (narrow toes) and Garmont Amicas (still slightly narrow toes).  I haven't experimented with wide versions yet, as most are hard to find even online.  I'm curious about the Merrell Proterra boots, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.  

Thanks for helping me stop abusing Zappo's free return shipping!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Irish Setter makes a "KJing Toe" line, but finding them is difficult, and the uninsulated 9" version doesn't look like it would be a great hiking boot.

http://hunt.irishsetterboots.com/hunting....e-boots

I own a pair of the Irish Setter Mountain Claw King Toe boots that I bought from Red Wing.  I use them for winter and fall hiking and as far into the spring as i can stretch them because they are insulated.
 Post Number: 3
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might try Keen Alamosas if you can find them. A little narrower in the heel than other Keens, I believe.
 Post Number: 4
spac3man Search for posts by this member.
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you tried using insoles? I've found my SuperFeet (green, orange) really help keep my heel feeling good.

--------------
Sláinte
 Post Number: 5
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(coriacea @ Jun. 25 2013, 8:22 pm)
I'm in the market for a new pair of hiking boots and am having some difficulty finding a good fit.  My feet are fairly wide and squared-off at the toes but normal width at the heel.  Most hiking boots rub the outside of my foot where it joins the pinkie toe.

I've taken to wearing Merrell Pace gloves for everyday use and light hiking, and love them.  The wider toe box and smaller drop of most minimalist shoes seems to suit my feet really well.  I'd love to move towards hiking boots that have a similar fit but with extra cushioning/stiffness in the sole for protection against rocks.  Something lightweight would be nice, but the fit is really what I'm going for.  

Any suggestions?  So far I've tried Keene Targhees (ok in the toes, too wide in the heel), Inov-8 400/335s (narrow toes) and Garmont Amicas (still slightly narrow toes).  I haven't experimented with wide versions yet, as most are hard to find even online.  I'm curious about the Merrell Proterra boots, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.  

Thanks for helping me stop abusing Zappo's free return shipping!

You my friend have precisely the same problem that I do - and unfortunately, I don't have many great solutions, despite trying on dozens of different boots over the years and owning several pairs.

Keen makes more squared toe boxes, but unfortunately they tend to be low volume in the toes and high volume in the heel and ankle. So my toes are still often too tight, and my ankle swimming and slipping. For boots I have the Targhees and Oregon PCT models - the Targhees are a better fit, a little snugger in the heel. But much less protective.

I bought a pair of Salewa Mtn Trainers a while ago. Going up a half size accomodates my toes. But I find the boot overly stiff and while it locks my heel down this puts too much pressure on the back of my heel and causes it to blister.

I haven't tried them yet, but the new Asolo Reston and Zion models are supposedly wider in the toes and snugger in the heel and ankle.  Worth a look. More of a "lighter" boots but should be fine for most hiking.

I too have the Merrell barefoot shoes - the men's trail glove, the bare access, and the Flux glove. The fit is perfect in my measured size for all - I just wish they used that last for their boots too. You might find the Merrell mix-master mid a good option - again, a light-weight choice but it has a thin rock protection plate and it is a little wider in the toes than others, though I still had to go up a half-size to accomodate it. I don't own them though.

http://www.merrell.com/CA....id-Wtpf
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try Timberland Chocorua.  They're lightweight but do ok with a light pack.  Roomy toe box, snug heel, pretty durable.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
Chris C Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 11:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LL Bean has very comfortable extra wide hiking shoes and boots.

--------------
"We're not lost. It's the trail that's missing."
 Post Number: 8
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trekstas.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 9
Courtright Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear a size 13-4E boot and have been happy with New Balance hiking boots.
 Post Number: 10
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 7:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zamberlan Vioz has worked well for me (REI) and for my foot, most of the boots still made in Italy have worked well over the years. plenty of 'wiggle room' for the toes.
 Post Number: 11
DCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have very wide feet, though normal in the heel.  For me its the area behind my toes that hurt.  I use shoe stretchers.  I bought a pair of Merrels a full size larger than normal and keep heavy duty stretchers (wood and brass, not plastic) in them whenever I'm not hiking in them.  It helps, though I do wish you could buy extra-extra wide hiking boots.
 Post Number: 12
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 27 2013, 5:33 pm)
Try Timberland Chocorua.  They're lightweight but do ok with a light pack.  Roomy toe box, snug heel, pretty durable.

You're right about the fit but according to the reviews they don't last long.
 Post Number: 13
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 2:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Jun. 29 2013, 10:55 pm)

(TDale @ Jun. 27 2013, 5:33 pm)

You're right about the fit but according to the reviews they don't last long.

What goes is the cushioning.  The pair I've got that's four years old is still good for yard work.  I put new insoles in every six months.  No way would I back a pack and take off down the trail with them.  But they still fit great.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I also need a wider toe box but regular-sized heel and have tried on many shoes and boots that either were too tight in the front or let the heel slip in the back. Then got a pair of TNF Ultra 106 Trail Runners and they fit well. I wouldn't think of TNF for footwear, but these work great. The lace points are set wide apart so that I can get them snugged on without squeezing across the width of my foot. They are more of a cross between a trail runner and a hiking shoe, sturdier than typical trail runners. Only thing I don't care for is the Gore-Tex, but if the shoe fits...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 15
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(3pinner @ Jun. 29 2013, 7:08 am)
Zamberlan Vioz has worked well for me (REI) and for my foot, most of the boots still made in Italy have worked well over the years. plenty of 'wiggle room' for the toes.

Are you talking about the regular ones (model 996) or the wides (model 1006)? Because the 996 have one of the most cramped and narrow toes I've encountered in a hiking boot. I haven't tried the 1006 but hear they are much more rounded in the toes.
 Post Number: 16
C17 Riddler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a similar foot - wide but low volume toes and a narrow heel.  

Bottom line: the Salomon Quest 3D GTX boots fit my toes like no other boot.  I've tried Asolos (very narrow outer toes), Scarpa (wider heels), Salewa, Zamberlan, Keen (poor durability and wide heels), Vasque (higher volume and wider heel), and others.
 Post Number: 17
C17 Riddler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

P.S.  I tried on the Asolo Restons and much to my amazement, the toe box felt wonderful!!!  I just didn't like the low drop.  But looking back to your original post, it appears that the Asolo Restons may be worth trying.

Other Asolos (Fugitive, Flame, and similar) seem to have very narrow outer toe room, which absolutely destroy my 2nd and 3rd toes.  

Good luck!
 Post Number: 18
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Jun. 27 2013, 11:09 pm)
Trekstas.

I just bought a pair of Treksta Evolution Mid GTX and did some rugged hiking in North Carolina's Wilson Creek & Linville Gorge, and I ended up using them for dayhikes as well as overnighters instead of my Merrell Phaser Peaks.

I tried on the Asolo Restons, and though they were wider than most Asolos my forefeet were still cramped.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 19
Coriaceal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tried a few more pairs and I think the Treksta Evolution Mid is the boot for me!  I hadn't heard of the company previously, but ordered online based on the recommendations here and they fit miles better than any of the others.  Asolo Restons were a close second.  Only quibble I have about the Trekstas is that they have way too much arch support for me, but having non-pinched toes makes it something I can live with.  Thanks for all the input.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
18 replies since Jun. 25 2013, 8:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hiking boots with wide toe-box
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions