2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Has anybody had beer stolen while backpacking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 9:38 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anybody had beer stolen while backpacking???

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We almost lost a can in the current...

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A fishing buddy of mine did that.  When we fished the next day, I made sure I went downstream.  Heheheheheh.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never had beer stolen while hiking. I've offered out quite a few though.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My buddies did that...  ZipposDad...

He was also from Grand Rapids  :-/
 Post Number: 6
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Once, backpacking in the coastal redwoods in the Santa Cruz Mtns., California, I had brought my bear can since the area was known for determined racoons. I had a couple of cans of beer, drank one and stashed the other in the bear canister overnight. I woke up to a raccoon trying to roll the bear can like a barrel out of the campsite.
 Post Number: 7
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple of guys and I went to a lean-to in the Cats (McKinney?) for a peak bag. In the lean-to, ISYN, 21 cans of beer. Unfortunately it was Bud light, but it was also gone in a few hours... I can't imagine that we 'stole' it, though. I think those who left it just didn't want to pack it out.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 8
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We do a lot of 3 day basecamp trips where we're away from our camp on the middle day. We've never had anything taken, but sometimes we'll bring a little lock along to put on the tent door. Not that this would stop someone determined, but it might stop a normally honest person from peeking into our tent and being tempted by a couple of high end WM sleeping bags & Exped mats. We don't backpack in very busy places though.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 9
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just realized that I posted this in the wrong thread. Ooops! I guess it's time to stop drinking from the 24 pack of beers I stole on the trail this past weekend.  :D

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 10
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stolen?  Maybe, but probably just lost.
We left a six pack in a stream to cool off while we climbed a mountain.  When we came back it was either gone or we just couldn't find it again.
Strangely enough, a month later, on a remote island off the coast of Alaska we were setting up camp and came across a six pack of beer.......................
The exact same brand!
(Play twilight zone music here)

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 11
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dave and I were spending the night before a 4-day hike at Cedar Grove campground at Road's End (SEKI) and watched a bear steal a 6-pack of bottles off the top of a bear box. (Not ours, we aren't dumb/drunk enough to leave our booze unprotected...) Well it did not take them but drank them right there. It bit the necks off and drank the brews one after the other.

I still wonder how cut up its tongue was because not only did it bite them, it kind of made licking motions while it drank.

Bad bruin!

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jun. 27 2013, 2:49 pm)
Dave and I were spending the night before a 4-day hike at Cedar Grove campground at Road's End (SEKI) and watched a bear steal a 6-pack of bottles off the top of a bear box. (Not ours, we aren't dumb/drunk enough to leave our booze unprotected...) Well it did not take them but drank them right there. It bit the necks off and drank the brews one after the other.

I still wonder how cut up its tongue was because not only did it bite them, it kind of made licking motions while it drank.

Bad bruin!

That was Ran D in a bear suit...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
11 replies since Jun. 26 2013, 9:38 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Has anybody had beer stolen while backpacking
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions