2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Favorite Piece of Gear by Patagonia...?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2013, 9:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd say it's my Nano Puff or down sweater.  What say you...???

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Micropuff jacket.  I think it's the only Patagonia item I have, but it's a favorite.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2013, 11:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Baggies.
 Post Number: 4
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2013, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an older down pullover, with the big kangaroo pocket, and hood. Its my favorite 3 season jacket.
 Post Number: 5
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 4:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tough choice between Capilene 1 and 3 tops. Maybe I should try Capilene 2..
If the R1 hoody I found discarded in the bushes(with a rip that cost $6 to repair) had fit, it might get my vote. The friend I gave it to loves it.
 Post Number: 6
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 5:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nano Puff jacket.
 Post Number: 7
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Down vest..love it. I like the sweater too..but having the vest gets the sweater left home in closet much more often.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Jul. 05 2013, 4:20 am)
Tough choice between Capilene 1 and 3 tops. Maybe I should try Capilene 2..
If the R1 hoody I found discarded in the bushes(with a rip that cost $6 to repair) had fit, it might get my vote. The friend I gave it to loves it.

I knew I was forgetting something.  R1 hoody is another of my favorites.  My Capilene is usually replaced by wool these days.
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dunno.  I have one of their Syn micro-sumthin' T-shirts.  Pretty nice for hiking and backpacking.  Can't say I've given it much thought.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hands down... my R1. I love that thing... however, it is the flash pullover, not the hoody, or the regular pullover. The flash pullover uses cap 4 under the arms, at the waist and the cuffs. It is the most excellent... got it on sale too.

Next to that is going to be my newer Cap 4 Extreme Wt Hoody...

Then my Cap 2 long sleeve shirt...

Last would be my Houdini... and the reason it is last is because I wish it weighed a little less... being a windshirt and all...

All-in-all, I love Patagonia. I know they are a bit high, but I don't regret spending any of the $$ I spent on mine...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 11
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Patagonia really doesn't make much of what I'd call "gear"...

5" Standup shorts are prolly my favorite, as well a 1/4-zip micro-D pullover.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gad, but their stuff is expensive.  Good, but expensive.  I have very few of their pieces because of that and none of them rank among my favorites.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmmmm...
I have several pieces I really, really like.

Silkweight Boxers- use them everyday.

Slopestyle Hoody- my daily driver jacket.

Silkweight crew- my outdoor go-to base layer

R1 Pullover- love it.

ReadyMix Jacket- Softshell perfection.

I have many other pieces, but I would have to choose the Silkweight boxers.

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
 Post Number: 14
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the Patagonia fish sticker... goes nicely on my bearcan.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 15
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not sure why some folks rag on Patagonia. They're stuff is expensive, but so is Mtn hwdr, Arcteryx, et al ... and Patagonia products are, imo, the equal of just about all their competition.

I have a pair of their alpine guide pants and they've been great. Sent in to Patagonia for repair when they got a couple of holes in them and they're good as new.

On that topic, here's a plug for their Common Threads initiative, which I think is a great push.

I also love the R1. I have a full-zip jacket and also a pullover. One or the other go on just about every trip I take.

Capilene underwear, both a heavyweight pair and a lightweight pair are great.

My favorite piece of their gear may be the Ascensionist; I live in that thing. That or their heavyweight mountain socks .. awesome!

I'm not a fan of the Rain Shadow jacket. It's OK, but doesn't seem to last as long as it should.

Non-backpacking, I have a pair of their chest waders which are I like a lot.

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

People rag on Patagonia because their stuff is expensive in the extreme for what it is, is made in China by underpaid workers, yet they flout their Eco-consciousness with a holier-than-thou attitude unparallelled in the Mountain Community. Hypocrisy comes to mind.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 12:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey BradMT

I don't think it's any more expensive than similar Mtn Hwdr gear. Or Arcteryx.

Where do you suggest Patagonia should make their gear? And if you say the US, name a single competitor of theirs who does so. And point to some factories they might look to produce their gear.

FAQs on Patagonia Factories.

The Where and How and Whys

1% of sales - not profits, sales.

Where was the computer you're using to post on this forum built?

What's this "holier than thou" attitude? I don't see it. I see them making more of an effort than just about any of their competitors in this field to contribute something toward the environment. They're not perfect, but that's far cry from "hypocrisy".

leave no trace doesn't mean leave "no" trace -- it means decrease your impact. Like backpacking, we try to get our load down lighter, but we don't walk around naked with no food.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 18
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 1:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Micro Puff pullover in the most hideous green that goes everywhere in every season. I bought it out of bargain bin because it's color was a year or two out ahead of everyone else's. Now hideous green is the next new thing.

My second pair of stand-up shorts has to be my favorite. The first I bought out oif Chouinard's second catalog when I was a senior in HS, 1971  :D I sold same catalog on ebay three years ago for nearly $400 to a collector. Same short for nearly 40 years except organic cotton and they aded a wallet pocket.

I strongly support the corporate and global initiatives from Patagonia. And since I work for an non-profit in public land issues, I get to support local retailers yet purchase Patagonia swag low.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 19
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 1:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did Patagonia sponsor this thread?  :D

Anyway, my fav (and it's the only piece of Patagonia gear I own) -- is the Houdini wind jacket.  Love it!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 1:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jul. 06 2013, 8:11 pm)
People rag on Patagonia because their stuff is expensive in the extreme for what it is, is made in China by underpaid workers, yet they flout their Eco-consciousness with a holier-than-thou attitude unparallelled in the Mountain Community. Hypocrisy comes to mind.

Brad:

Being Chinese myself (and American too, of course) -- far be it for me to cheer for any foreign devil exploiting / underpaying the poor folks back in 'the old country'...

But I wish I could take you to China and show you the poverty that still exists in great areas there -- hard scrabble subsistence living!  It's why peasants choose to work in the factories by the hundreds of millions!  Not fun and sometimes not even safe -- but a steady paycheck month after month -- enough for them to even remit surpluses back to their villages -- it is a dream come true for them!

And even better:  they have enough to send their kids to school -- who will grow up vastly more educated and ready for the next couple of steps up.

BTW, did you know that Taiwan's per capita GDP is now comparable to Germany's -- and ahead of UK and France -- a rich country by any measure?   Back in the '60s and '70s -- that island too was teeming with 'sweat shops'!  Surely you remember how 'everything' was Made in Taiwan back then?  And then it was Korea, and then Malaysia, then Thailand... and now China -- with Vietnam, Indonesia, etc. not far behind.

And finally, thinking about it... we all remember the b/w photos in our own history books -- boys working in Penn. coal mines... girls and women in mills...  it's also how we developed our own country!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 21
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 1:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

blue-sage-
This one?

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 22
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Down sweater, and down pants, and mnano puff pullover. My three favorites

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jul. 06 2013, 11:41 pm)

(BradMT @ Jul. 06 2013, 8:11 pm)

Brad:

Being Chinese myself (and American too, of course) -- far be it for me to cheer for any foreign devil exploiting / underpaying the poor folks back in 'the old country'...

But I wish I could take you to China and show you the poverty that still exists in great areas there -- hard scrabble subsistence living!  It's why peasants choose to work in the factories by the hundreds of millions!  Not fun and sometimes not even safe -- but a steady paycheck month after month -- enough for them to even remit surpluses back to their villages -- it is a dream come true for them!

And even better:  they have enough to send their kids to school -- who will grow up vastly more educated and ready for the next couple of steps up.

BTW, did you know that Taiwan's per capita GDP is now comparable to Germany's -- and ahead of UK and France -- a rich country by any measure?   Back in the '60s and '70s -- that island too was teeming with 'sweat shops'!  Surely you remember how 'everything' was Made in Taiwan back then?  And then it was Korea, and then Malaysia, then Thailand... and now China -- with Vietnam, Indonesia, etc. not far behind.

And finally, thinking about it... we all remember the b/w photos in our own history books -- boys working in Penn. coal mines... girls and women in mills...  it's also how we developed our own country!

Ben, I've traveled extensively in the 3rd world. I'm familiar. You're preaching to the choir.

I will ALWAYS buy a Made in Taiwan item over a Made In China item because I know the quality and the conditions under which the item was made are generally significantly better.

Taiwanese stuff is top drawer and the smart mfg's are using Taiwanese labor over Chinese (mainland).

Made In Taiwan today is what Made In Japan is... an emblem of pride and quality.

None of which could be said a generation ago.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Walkinman @ Jul. 07 2013, 12:24 am)
Where do you suggest Patagonia should make their gear? And if you say the US, name a single competitor of theirs who does so. And point to some factories they might look to produce their gear.

I don't entirely disagree with either Brad or Walkinman. Both speak elements of the truth.  Most companies probably have many of their products manufactured in less than ideal conditions for their workers.  They have to to compete since it's all about profits.  It may be that the system is more to blame and the companies but maybe not.  Plenty of blame to go around actually, including us as consumers.  As far as Walkinman's assertion that we're ragging on Patgonia about their high prices, I still think they are.  When I get their semi-annual catalogs, for some reason I'm not aware of, I just gaze in wonder and astonishment at their gear and prices. The only other large company that seems to compare in price is Arcteryx.  I don't havr any of their stuff either.

But, yesterday at a garage sale I scored a like new Patagonia Chilliybin or smimilar shirt for three dollars ($3.00).  I'll definitely wear that sucker.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jul. 07 2013, 3:18 pm)
Ben, I've traveled extensively in the 3rd world. I'm familiar. You're preaching to the choir.

I will ALWAYS buy a Made in Taiwan item over a Made In China item because I know the quality and the conditions under which the item was made are generally significantly better.

Taiwanese stuff is top drawer and the smart mfg's are using Taiwanese labor over Chinese (mainland).

Made In Taiwan today is what Made In Japan is... an emblem of pride and quality.

None of which could be said a generation ago.

Great to know, Brad, and sorry for the preaching to the choir part.   I look forward to the next decade or so when China too will be known for upper (or at least upper middle) tiered products.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's less about the country it's made in than the quality standards the actual manufacturers are required to adhere to.
 Post Number: 27
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

R1 full zip jacket is one of my favorites.
And the lightweight Capeline base layers are very comfortable and durable.
 Post Number: 28
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 7:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like my

Patagonia Live Simply T shirt that has a bear w/a salmon in its mouth...$9 at TJ MAxx.  In fact I like it so much I am going to use it as my avatar pic

They do make some very well respected fly fishing clothing too....but fly fishermen are nuts on what they'll spend on gear too

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 29
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Patagonia Down sweater.
 Post Number: 30
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been pretty happy with the clothing I have gotten from Patagonia for the most part.  give them credit for a bulletproof lifetime warranty.  

my favorite/most used are the capilene base layers - tops, sock liners, glove liners.  from silk-weight t-shirts in the summer to expedition weight in the winter.  competitive with anything i have worn, all seasons.  and they last a long time.  

other likes/dislikes:

-houdini.  great windshirt.
-shop pants - heavy cotton pants with double knees and cuffs, rear end.  no longer made.  have worn them a lot for years, what i wear instead of jeans.
-fleece hat - smooth outside, 'reverse fleece' fuzzy inside.  with extra fabric that covers your ears.  no longer made.  one of my favorite winter hats.  
-lightweight standup shorts.  both pair are several years old and have worn well.  
-R1 tops/bottoms.  a cool/cold weather staple.  i like the older versions better.
-nano puff pants.  a winter staple.

on the other hand....

-their waterproof/breathable shells have been worse than average for me.  had a storm parka years ago, seams delaminated.  they replaced it...and the inner coating disintegrated.  rain shadow jacket was a decent raincoat, but it didn't breathe very well.  sold it used quite a while ago.    
-fleece - it's all polartec, and i think patagonia's versions are middle of the road feature-wise and expensive.    
-down sweater.  mixed feelings about it.  i wear it a lot, and it has been fine.  if i had to do it over again, i would have gotten one from someone else with different features and construction.  
-heavier down jackets - tried on more than once, never purchased.  pricy, unduly heavy.  a cut below a lot of the competition in my opinion.
31 replies since Jul. 04 2013, 9:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Favorite Piece of Gear by Patagonia...?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions