2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Laces that won't stay tight.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 1:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll buy cheep shoes for casual wear instead of wearing out my Merrells.  Found a pair at Academy Sports that fit comfortably.

The laces are crap.  They won't stay tight letting the ankle losen up as I walk around.  Tie a bow knot and you can see the knot release when you let go.

Any suggestions?  New laces?  What kind work best?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I take an extra turn around my thumb, which creates a surgeon's knot.  makes it much tougher for any slick lace to come undone.

Form the loop, take the normal turn around the thumb, then an extra turn before passing a loop through for the final bow tie.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The world is filled with bad laces.  I like to use flat laces whenever possible, but they seem to be getting harder to find.  Maybe they're more expensive to produce.  Anyway, I use double knots on frustrating laces.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OZ, they released just like before.  $%^&* laces.

BL, I'll have to look for some flat ones.

Thanks, guys.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okra's slimy.  Use your finger for the extra knot OZ described instead of okra.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

See if any of these help.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd have to "+1" on ol-zeke's suggestion. I too was going to suggest the surgeon's knot to start. I have done that - and double knotting the bow - on my shoelaces for so long, I don't even think about it anymore. If the surgeon's knot won't hold, definitely time for less slippery laces.
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jul. 07 2013, 10:58 am)
I'll buy cheep shoes for casual wear instead of wearing out my Merrells.  Found a pair at Academy Sports that fit comfortably.

The laces are crap.  They won't stay tight letting the ankle losen up as I walk around.  Tie a bow knot and you can see the knot release when you let go.

Any suggestions?  New laces?  What kind work best?

Moi, I just tie an extra knot.  And an extra 20 seconds to untie the shoes at the end of the day beats regular 'stop and go' to retie shoes all through the day.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+2 on the surgeon's knot (I didn't know the name before) but that's what I've done for years. Otherwise, I suggest you tie the knot and then put just a dab (teaspoon or so) of Super glue on the knot and wait five minutes. It should hold.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jul. 07 2013, 4:42 pm)
+2 on the surgeon's knot (I didn't know the name before) but that's what I've done for years. Otherwise, I suggest you tie the knot and then put just a dab (teaspoon or so) of Super glue on the knot and wait five minutes. It should hold.

Some day's you truly scare me.

:D

--------------
 Post Number: 11
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a couple lacing tricks:
   Flat laces
   Double knots
   Rub bees wax into the laces to make them a little sticky

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 12
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I double bow my laces.
I do the normal bow, then, pull the loops through as far as I can, leaving only a tab bit of the end of the lace in the bow. . Then, I tie a bow using the now longer loops.
It's never slipped on me.
Otherwise, as stated, waxed laces work pretty well.

This method,
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/doubleknot.htm
More ideas.
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried a lot of the fieggen knots.  Walk around a little and their loose, again.  I'm going hunting flat laces.  Or superglue.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you try the double bow??  It works for me

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 15
Indytechnerd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is it the bow loosening or the whole tie?  One suggestion would be a square knot (left over right, right over left) then bow.  I know some military guys who do that with their boot laces, seems to work quite well for them.
 Post Number: 16
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are lace locks I've tried, but abandoned because I felt I didn't really need them.
http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Laces-Black/dp/B000SOOLT4

but they're just specialized cordlocks. You could use one of those like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79aI71UJvMY

My considered opinion is that, if the laces you've got won't hold with a surgeon's knot, you need to get after-market laces that will. Just IMHO.
 Post Number: 17
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you follow OZ's link, i use the 'better bow' knot for boots where i have replaced the normal laces with sterling or blue water  utility line.  

Limmer boots sells excellent flat boot laces.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took a lace out of the shoe and tried tying it around a post.  It immediately loosened.

As I said before: new laces.

--------------
17 replies since Jul. 07 2013, 1:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Laces that won't stay tight.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions