2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: HMG UltaMid 4, 1lb 4 man cuben pyramid< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 4:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HMG UltaMid

This looks pretty neat.  I've never tried a pyramid but I've read enough positive comments that I'd like to try one.  Since it doesn't have a screen and its still heavier than my Hexamid I'd probably save it for winter trips where the space would be nice.  

Tigger, I've seen you post about a pyramid in winter.  How does it do with wind?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could always add the bug skirt.

I opted for an innernet to use with an MLD Solomid but that's because there are seasons I don't need the bug protection and then I lose all the weight.
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikeClimbBike @ Jul. 09 2013, 1:28 pm)
HMG UltaMid

This looks pretty neat.  I've never tried a pyramid but I've read enough positive comments that I'd like to try one.  Since it doesn't have a screen and its still heavier than my Hexamid I'd probably save it for winter trips where the space would be nice.  

Tigger, I've seen you post about a pyramid in winter.  How does it do with wind?

Mine handled 100+ mph winds in the spring with a wind break. It's handled up to 40+ mph winds without a windbreak with relative ease.

The start of a two day 100+ mph storm in the saddle of South and Middle Sister in the Three Sisters wilderness

40+ mph on the flanks of Mt. Hood

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tigger, that's good enough for me.  My pyramid is on its way!
 Post Number: 5
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With that snow wall wrapped around most tents would have worked.
The problem there is for the Sublite behind (the Sublite tyvek  is a fair weather shelter designed for hot and or humid conditions....) because rather than being protected by the wall it will have the wind slamming down on it.

hint : don't camp a few feet behind a large tree or a boulder not larger than your tent.
BTW, I am not suggesting that pyramid tents don't work , just that out in the open a single small pole will not hold up a tent like that in 100 mph wind.
Again those famous polar tents have 5x  1" poles holding them up (60lbs plus all up )...
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 6:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those Scott tents are monsters aren't they?

http://www.snowsled.com/scott-pyramid-tents/
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, and made in Melbourne too.
(the One Planet are...)
 Post Number: 8
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikeClimbBike @ Jul. 09 2013, 4:28 pm)
HMG UltaMid

Sorry to nit pick. But your sub title is incorrect. the 4 man weight is listed at 20.8oz

UltaMid 4
Weight: No Guylines 20.8oz - With Guylines 21.8oz

I use a Golite Shangri-la 3 for most two person camping works great. Wind is not a big issue up to about 40. Scary but holds strong. I've used it in a wind storm in AK where we recorded 43 MPH peak gusts

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Jul. 09 2013, 4:02 pm)
Yes, and made in Melbourne too.
(the One Planet are...)

That led me here:
http://www.antarctica.gov.au/living-....d-tents
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Jul. 09 2013, 7:04 pm)
Sorry to nit pick. But your sub title is incorrect. the 4 man weight is listed at 20.8oz

Actually its not incorrect since I didn't specify a non integral numbering system.  Just as you have arbitrarily chosen to utilize three significant figures I have arbitrarily chosen to use one.  Your 20.8 oz weight is in fact one pound when taken to a single sig fig after converting to the unit system I selected in my original post.

Isn't math fun? :D
 Post Number: 11
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikeClimbBike @ Jul. 09 2013, 7:17 pm)
Isn't math fun? :D

I used to think so..............
:(

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The reason I mentioned those Scott tents is because they come up has an example of how strong a pyramid tent is in the wind.
my point is that you cannot compare a 2-3 lbs nylon tent supported by a pole less than 0.5" in diameter with tents that are 60lbs plus with multiple 1" poles. (4 for the one illustrated in that HSF link)
Not sure why I mentioned 5 poles because they are 4 sided...

Oddly I just pointed out a thread drift on another thread.

Anyway since I am at it, this is what can happen to a 60lbs Scott tent pitched in 50 to 90mph (recorded...) in the open :

You can see the size of the  pole in that photo.
"Two of our three Scott tents were destroyed, including mine. They cost $3,000 each. The one-inch metal pole supports snapped clean in half, canvas ripped up the side, ropes parted, and the whole thing destructed in place, still tethered and rocked solidly to the ground. We are now sleeping on bunks in the hut"
Why two and not all three?
My guess is that the third one had some ground protection. Wind strength can change dramatically just a few meters away.
 Post Number: 13
That's sofa King assume

OK you carry 20.8 ounces and I'll carry 16 ounces. You can call yours whatever you want.

When referring to tent weights or other gear for that matter ounces matter. Manufacturers spend much R&D to save an ounce. You listing a 4 person tent as 1 pound is just incorrect. Math or no  math

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Jul. 09 2013, 7:23 pm)
OK you carry 20.8 ounces and I'll carry 16 ounces. You can call yours whatever you want.

When referring to tent weights or other gear for that matter ounces matter. Manufacturers spend much R&D to save an ounce. You listing a 4 person tent as 1 pound is just incorrect. Math or no  math

While I agree that in common usage the term 1 lb is in fact different than 20.8 oz my statement is technically valid.  Perhaps you'd like to run my argument by your middle school math teacher.  Sig figs are not a difficult concept.  Proficiency with technical arguments is one of the concepts I had to master prior to receiving a doctoral degree in engineering.
 Post Number: 15
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So you'd be OK with all manufacturers using sig figs as specs for the weight of their gear. As you say technically they'd be correct.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ironical that someone with a doctorate in engineering argues that, within the UL context, 1 Lbs is the same as 20.8 oz.
Maybe buying potatoes at the market but not when discussing an $800 Cuben shelter.
for 24oz you can get a 9'x9' sylnylon version for less than $300...
 Post Number: 17
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikeClimbBike @ Jul. 09 2013, 7:39 pm)

(eggs @ Jul. 09 2013, 7:23 pm)

While I agree that in common usage the term 1 lb is in fact different than 20.8 oz my statement is technically valid.  Perhaps you'd like to run my argument by your middle school math teacher.  Sig figs are not a difficult concept.  Proficiency with technical arguments is one of the concepts I had to master prior to receiving a doctoral degree in engineering.

Well, woo hoo for you and your degree.  If you try to pass off a 20.8 oz shelter as 1 lb., best not venture into backpackinglight.com territory.
They will draw and quarter you.................
or perhaps draw and 2.9 quarter you.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A 25% difference didn't matter for your degree?

I bet the Crack Jacks were tasty as well.

:D
 Post Number: 19
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're just debating with the guy's ego, fellas.  He'd much rather argue all day that he was "technically valid" to 1 sig-fig (measured only in pounds... "20 oz" would be accurate to 1 sig-fig too) than actually acknowledge he made a simple mistake in the OP and quoted the weight of the 2-man shelter while referring to the 4-man.  Which wouldn't be hard to do--a very easy mistake to make--but delicate egos generally won't let that happen.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 20
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It may not be technically invalid but, as an engineer, I would say that it's too ambiguous to be correct.

American measurement systems are generally integral number systems by definition since fractional units are usually expressed separately.  For instance, the common expression is "1lb 4oz" and not "1.25lb".

I think the common understanding of "1lb" would be "1lb 0oz" and the concept of significant figures would be secondary.

In my experience, ambiguity is just another characteristic in math.  In engineering, it's a bad thing.  :)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 21
DustinTN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Proficiency with technical arguments is one of the concepts I had to master prior to receiving a doctoral degree in engineering.

Proficiency with social/contextual norms might have been lacking from the curriculum. Cool pyramid nonetheless. And they're both ridiculously light given their square footage.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 09 2013, 8:51 pm)

Try Northwestern University.  I wouldn't know about such foods but given your intellect you must be qualified to work in their manufacturing facility.  Your parents must be very proud.

If social skills were a requirement I doubt they'd be granting many engineering degrees.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikeClimbBike @ Jul. 10 2013, 2:18 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 09 2013, 8:51 pm)

Try Northwestern University.  I wouldn't know about such foods but given your intellect you must be qualified to work in their manufacturing facility.  Your parents must be very proud.

If social skills were a requirement I doubt they'd be granting many engineering degrees.

Really?

So you're of the opinion that a twenty to twenty-five  percent error in data is okay for a Northwestern degree program?

I expect that's good to know. Though I do fully expect your thesis committee would beg to differ.

Come on waving around your so-called (this IS just the internet after all) degree to try and divert from the issue that sixteen ounces is most certainly NOT the same as twenty ounces is just pathetic. Understandable from an ego standpoint, but just more and more pathetic as the "defense" drags on, leading to a far worse result in terms of online image than the original minor slip of simply misreading a data specifications table.

Oh and since we're on the topic of errata: The snack is actually called Cracker Jack*, my error in typing, and the prize traditionally included would not be an "advanced" degree, though some might assume so.

"Cracker Jack brand has been an American favorite for more than 105 years. The delicious blend of caramel coated popcorn and peanuts is just as good as you remember. And who can forget the thrill of opening the toy surprise inside?"

http://www.fritolay.com/our-snacks/cracker-jack.html

* Of "Take me out to the Ballgame" fame.

Now does that four ounce difference have any significance in terms of overall pack weight? IMHO given the reality that a quart of water is 32 ozs.: no not really since that 4 ounces is the equivalent of a couple of swallows out of the bottle on your waist belt  (while fully acknowledging there's been threads on here where people angsted over the weight of the label and cap lock circle on a Gatorade bottle... so YMMV). But that does not take away from the (cruel, I know) simple hard fact that 16 ounces is not the same as 20... no matter how hard you flap that piece of paper.
 Post Number: 24
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I am considering shaving 4 oz and spending that kind of dough...it is important. I have been mulling over spending $300 to shave just a couple ounces of my sleeping arrangements and drop by five degrees. It's all about ounces...and comfort. However, I'm not planning on adding any more weight for comfort at this point. I should be able to do nothing but shave weight at this point.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
23 replies since Jul. 09 2013, 4:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply HMG UltaMid 4
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions