2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tarp< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How big a tarp do I need for me and occasionally another? Mostly overnights, maybe two. Need good protection from rain, sleeping on the ground. I was thinking 8x6. And I'm not really looking to spend money on bat-wing, reverse cantilever, space-fiber stuff. I haven't slept under a tarp before, but in a tent plenty, so save me the thing.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For 2 with adequate protection from rain I would recommend a 8x10. I have slept both me and my son with my gear under a 8x10 tarp set up in a low A-Frame in rain and been fine, although, I did have to take a little time to arrange everything so that it didn't get wet.

I have a 10x6.5 and IMO it is fine for 1 person in the rain. Two people would be pushing it I think...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you make a simple A-frame with a 45 degrees, you're reducing the width by a factor of 1.4, so 7 feet gives you a ground width of 5 feet (less if you don't have a triangular cross-section).  I wouldn't go any less than 8x10 for two people.
 Post Number: 4
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really, for very little weight gain, I'd go with a square 10x10. A square allows MANY more pitching options and lets you spread out a bit. Oware flat square works great! Mike and Allen's Really Cool Backpacking Book shows a bombproof pitch for nasty weather, but it requires a square tarp. In northern Ontario bush, a 10x10 square has served me well even in the dead of winter.

--------------
Dennis Waite
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I decided on a 10x10 for the extra height that would be available.  fyi, stay away from OES if you actually want a tarp.
 Post Number: 6
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just spend two days researching tarps. Was limited by budget. Below are the cheapest decent tarps I found. I crossed the Kelty Noah's Tarp off the list because it has a 450mm coating.

1) If you don't mind the color black and are hard up for money, consider a 6P or 8P footprint from REI Outlet.

2) Chinook: 2000mm coating. About $50. Not easy to find.

3) Equinox: Campmor $60

4) Guide Gear  11 x 11. 190T fabric, 1000 mm coating. Catenary cut. $33 from Bargain Outfitters. Reviews are mixed and indicate that quality control is uneven.

5) Outdoor Products  http://www.rei.com/product/842320/outdoor-products-coated-tarp

I ended up getting the Outdoor Products. There are no specs available on the fabric or the coating, but Walmart sells the 5x7 version for just $10, so you can go to Walmart and check the quality. I've carried the 5x7 as an emergency kayaking shelter for a couple of years. If you sewed two of these together ($20) you would get a 7x10 tarp, which is likely too small. So use your REI $20 coupon (received in the mail a couple of days ago) and pay $37 for the 9.5x12 with free shipping. Call your local REI store and see what colors they have. They can ship directly from the store so you get the color you want.
 Post Number: 7
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I second the footprint idea.

I got one at LL Bean for under $20 from a 4p tent.  I plan on pairing it up w/my Outdoor Research Double bug bivy.

It is not my primary shelter tho...especially this year with the horseflies as big as my thumb.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 8
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got back from a kayaking trip and used the Outdoor Products tarp. There was a lot of rain; not too muchwind. The tarp help up well and was pretty much waterproof. A lot of water did accumulate in the perimeter seams but that didn't affect the performance. I recommend it.

Cheap tarps like these can be improved by reinforcing the corners and center with webbing straps or adding sewn-in tie loops.
7 replies since Jul. 14 2013, 11:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tarp
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions