2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Shoulder harness sores?, Ideas for minimizing sore shoulders< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the past I've figured out how to keep my feet happy on the trail, now I have a question on keeping my shoulders happy.

I've never hiked without a shirt on, but this weekend I got up in the morning sunday and threw my shorts on and that's all. When we hit the trail around 5:00 that evening I threw my pack on as an experiment, and after I worked in to the trail I figured I was going to be a lot more comfortable temp-wise so that's how I stayed. Ever since I took my pack off my shoulders have bothered me.

I did think ahead a bit and used some goldbond powder on my shoulders before I threw the pack on. I do the same thing for my hips and it tends to help.

What other ideas do you have? Has anyone done the duct tape trick on their shoulders?

--------------
Steve
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My shoulder straps barely rest on my shoulders. My pack sits on my waist. In the past when I had a pack that was too small for my torso, my shoulders hurt...but no more.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My shoulder straps barely rest on my shoulders

same for me.
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Jul. 15 2013, 10:48 pm)
My shoulder straps barely rest on my shoulders

same for me.

Me too
 Post Number: 5
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jul. 15 2013, 8:34 pm)
My shoulder straps barely rest on my shoulders. My pack sits on my waist.

Me three.  or four.  or ....  darnit, I lost count.  

Also, I always wear a shirt under the pack straps, at least a light silk T-shirt.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get a pack that fits you... too short a frame, the pack either rides too high on the hips, or sits on the shoulders.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 12:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There seems to be a consensus.   :-)

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 8
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I concur, but I've also used sheepskin fleece on my shoulder straps back in the day before I had a decent pack.  These days I sometimes use it on the front cinch of a llama saddle.  I don't carry much weight anymore.
 Post Number: 9
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 5:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup...what they said..maybe lose some pack weight also?

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 10
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jul. 15 2013, 10:34 pm)
My shoulder straps barely rest on my shoulders. My pack sits on my waist. In the past when I had a pack that was too small for my torso, my shoulders hurt...but no more.

The opposite can also be true - I had problems with sore shoulders and a sore upper back until I bought a pack with a shorter torso length to match my oddly short torso. The belt was too low and wasn't letting the hips bear the weight. Now I can balance the weight on my hips better and leave my straps a little looser.

Also OP - Make sure your hipbelt is tight enough to be supporting the pack and not slipping down. Personal preferences can vary but in general the belt should be centered around the illiac crest of the hip bones - not the lower "hip bones" that protrude. This means it will probably sit higher on your hips than you think it should.  The belt buckle will probably cover your belly button.
 Post Number: 11
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 1:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Smokey is right on. So many newbies fit their pack's waistbelt way down where their jeans ride and then the pack is constantly slipping down putting weight on the shoulders.

Fitted properly, the waistbelt will be just below your ribcage. WAY more comfortable for the long haul, but you'll just have to deal with the fact that you now have two waists, one 6-8 inches higher than the other.
 Post Number: 12
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 7:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might also try sewing some moleskin on the parts of the strap that would touch you shoulders. Not on the hip belt; surely it was cause it to slip down. Plus everything everyone else said.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 13
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That really is an odd scenario. I can see the lack of a shirt leading to the skin getting abrasions, but muscle soreness isn't what I would have expected.

My first guess is that the pack isn't right, except for the fact you imply you haven't gotten sore shoulders before. My sec ond guess is that you lightly injured yourself before you threw on the pack.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 14
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think everyone is taking the scenario the incorrect way - the shoulder straps were rubbing my shoulders as I was hiking along so the skin was worked pretty raw. I didn't worry about it when we were on the trail, we weren't going too far so I just pushed the gas petal a bit and hammered out the miles. Weight is certainly part of it too, but it is what it is. I may try duct tape if I do that again so there is less friction between the shoulder pads and my shoulders, and indirect contact.

The pack is the right fit, it hasn't caused me too much trouble and I've had it for about 4 years. I was fitted for it at a local outfitter too.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 15
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mole skin?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 16
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KC8QVO @ Jul. 21 2013, 8:59 am)
Weight is certainly part of it too, but it is what it is. I may try duct tape if I do that again so there is less friction between the shoulder pads and my shoulders, and indirect contact.

The pack is the right fit, it hasn't caused me too much trouble and I've had it for about 4 years. I was fitted for it at a local outfitter too.

Your skin isn't used to this abrasion, and is much more sensitive. If you wear your pack like this regularly it will toughen up and you'll probably be fine. But I still think that based on the way you describe things that you're bearing too much weight on your shoulders.

The weight shouldn't be on your shoulders. If the pack is over-weighted, it won't sit right, even if fitted properly.

Also, I have been inappropriately fit for packs more than once. I know now what I need, but if I'd continued to follow the advice I was given I'd be pretty unhappy. Not saying this is the case for you and your local outfitter - but it happens often.
15 replies since Jul. 15 2013, 10:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Shoulder harness sores?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions