2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What hike planning sites do you use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
LeeAnderson Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:20 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was wondering if anyone had any great sites they used to plan hiking and backpacking trips? Other than this one, of course ;)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You don't need a hike planning website. It's not rocket science to plan a hike. Pack gear, put gear in car, go to trailhead, hike...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tennessee Landforms: http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/landforms/

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

None.

Just look at maps.

Followed by guidebooks sometimes.

Way more information and way more objective.
 Post Number: 5
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is probably the best one I've found so far:

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....3107219
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

www.hikearizona.com
 Post Number: 7
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

www.wnytrails.com
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

www.google.com

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 12 2013, 6:41 pm)

lol

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 10
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Backpacker magazine and Backpacker.com have lots of trail recommendations, reviews, etc. This forum has "Destination" sub-forums devoted to specific geographic regions with lots of discussion and trip reports on particular trails.

Start with some sort of geography -- often someone is looking for a hike in their particular area, or near where they will plan to be. Or, you may have heard of a great destination but don't know what hikes to look into there. There are many websites and forums devoted to specific destinations, as you can see from some of the ones people have cited for you. Another example, I'm spending a lot of time lately on a site devoted to very detailed reports and maps and such on Yosemite because I'm going there next week, but otherwise I wouldn't be looking at that site. If you are looking for ideas in your area just google "hike [CITY]" and similar and you probably will find sites specific to what you're looking for.

If you have your geography narrowed down a bit then you can just ask on here.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 11
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Usually the website of whatever place I'm planning to go to and then probably Acmemapper for a look of the areas topo and satellitee views.
 Post Number: 12
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Googleearth.  Search for a neat looking area.  Search on internet to see if anyone has been there and written it up.  Plot a route.  Then transfer to Mapsource, plot it out there.  Recheck on Googleearth.......good to go.  I get ideas from a myriad of sources on places to look.  Generally like to plan a good portion off trail
 Post Number: 13
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....e+gulch

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 14
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planning sites? Maps?

Get to TH. Put on pack. Start walking. Stop when tired, eat when hungry, sleep when sleepy. What more planning is needed?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 15
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The one between my ears.
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, maps.

While it is written * "not all those who wander are lost", that's the way to bet.

:D

* J. R. R. Tolkien.
 Post Number: 17
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 1:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 13 2013, 12:32 am)
Yes, maps.

+1

That's what I find to be the best planning tool.  Hard to beat basic topo maps if you know how to read them.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 18
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While it is written * "not all those who wander are lost", that's the way to bet.

Right. How can someone be lost if they don't care where they are?  :p

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 19
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 12 2013, 5:41 pm)

Stole my answer. "A little known site called...."
 Post Number: 20
DerekD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have only planned day hikes up to this point but a map coupled with a guidebook cant hardly be beat i dont think
 Post Number: 21
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

portlandhikers.org

nwhikers.net

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 22
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

www.mytopo.com is a great source for maps. Instead of carrying several USGS maps, you can carry one map (on waterproof plasticized paper) customized for the location of your trip.

They cost about $15, which is money well spent in my book.
 Post Number: 23
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Read the OP's question, and stop projecting your experience on others, silly trolls.

prep.a.trip has a bunch of tools for preparing just about any kind of outing. They have a nice feature where you can trace a route on their map and it will give you elevation and distance.

And they have a gear checklist for those with less experience, and can be used to assign items for individuals to bring. Also lets you set up carpool assignments. Pretty cool, especially for larger groups.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 24
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Jul. 19 2013, 7:35 am)
Read the OP's question, and stop projecting your experience on others, silly trolls.

That's really dumb. The interesting thing about conversations is that they are not linear. They turn and branch off into (sometimes) interesting directions not necessarily anticipated at the beginning of the conversation.

And that's a good thing--life would be extremely dull (as would this site) if all conversations always proceeded along a straight path.
 Post Number: 25
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use Alltrails.com.  It has the National Geographic topo maps as well as trails Illustrated,  Terrain, map and satellite view.  I can map and save routes, export as gpx files, check elevation gain,  print all of the maps etc. You have to pay for it, I got a great introductory rate, not sure what it costs now.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 26
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Google earth.  Always nice to see from space.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jul. 19 2013, 9:09 am)

(bigsilk @ Jul. 19 2013, 7:35 am)

That's really dumb. The interesting thing about conversations is that they are not linear. They turn and branch off into (sometimes) interesting directions not necessarily anticipated at the beginning of the conversation.

And that's a good thing--life would be extremely dull (as would this site) if all conversations always proceeded along a straight path.

It's not dumb. Someone asked a question, and everybody's giving an answer, but not a useful answer.

I think it's dumb to offer useless information.

She didn't ask, 'What's the best way to plan a hiking route?' No, she asked about planning websites. I gave her one.

'Map?' Is that a website? Hmm... I find that a dumb answer.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 28
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's dumb to expect any conversation in any internet forum anywhere to conform to your limited expectations... this has been so since the days of amber screens, 1200 baud modems, and running that telephone wire from the desk all the way through the house to the 286 you paid $4,000 for.... It's dumb to whine about it too. It'll happen again, just as it has 1000,000,000,000,000 times before... better run away before it annoys you again. "You people need to do what I say you should do and stay on topic!" Well.... have a look at how well this forum is moderated. By US most of the time. Unless the admin is ready to smack down the law on every single thread, good luck with that. (This forum is actually one of the most well mannered I've found....)

OP: There are no websites for planning your hike. There are plenty of national park sites, state park sites, trip report websites set up by hikers, forums, backpacking food recipe sites (some of which have more features than others) and also tons of photos posted in people's flickr or smugmug albums.

You access information by.... going to google, punching in the hike you think you might like to do, and watching all the links pop up on the page of results. Not sure what trail or destination? visit a park page and look at the lists of trails. Then Google.

There are also tons of guidebooks on the shelves at bookstores, or on Amazon - or they are available on a limited basis via Googlebooks.

I plan hikes and trips by looking at the list I've developed over the years from looking at maps. What maps? The ones online - like Acmemapper in which I look up destinations I find in guide books or word of mouth....

A backpacking group can be an excellent place to start, if you're trying to figure out places to go locally.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Jul. 20 2013, 11:14 am)
OP: There are no websites for planning your hike. There are plenty of national park sites, state park sites, trip report websites set up by hikers, forums, backpacking food recipe sites (some of which have more features than others) and also tons of photos posted in people's flickr or smugmug albums.

That's pretty ignorant. Not only did you not provide a useful answer, but ignored a useful one. Did you even bother to look at the site I suggested?

Ironically, it's called PREPATRIP.com

It's a TRIP PLANNING WEBSITE!

It helps people who may not have as much experience as some of us, who may not have a memorized list from years of backpacking. Or even if they do, and are introducing some people to what we find so enjoyable -- this is a good way to ensure everyone has everything they need. It has an interactive map feature for those who may not understand 'elevation' in our terms.

FYI: I've been building websites since web-safe pallets, and have run a bulletin board before, so...

--------------
28 replies since Jul. 12 2013, 4:20 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What hike planning sites do you use?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions