2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: e-vent, Just how good is it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 12:18 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm considering buying a new rain jacket.  My Pre-cip has worked OK in the past but I think I'd like to step up a notch or two.   I'm considering an e-vent jacket but boy, they don't come cheap.  Are they really that much better than gore-tex which I'm not particularly impressed with?  Is it worth the price and does anyone have any specific jackets they would recommend?  Try to keep it around $250 if possible.

Thanks much.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
spac3man Search for posts by this member.
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Rab Latok jacket, and Rab Latok pants that work excellent. They are particularly good for me because of their abrasion resistance, being climbing gear. Stuff from Rab is pricey though. I also own a pair of Saucony trail shoes for cooler weather off trail/fording with eVent.

Function, I feel like eVent is worth it! I feel like the main benefit is less condensation. There are a lot of products that still use eVent technology under other names, and you can likely find that stuff cheaper, I'm sure you can find it with research.

--------------
Sláinte
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's your order of importance between waterproofness, weight, breathability and durability?

eVent, imo, is impressively waterproof. I've worn event drysuits and *swam* in 40-degree water. It's waterproof enough to be submersible.  In light of its waterproofness, it's breathability is probably miraculous but, still, we're not really talking "breathable".  It's also heavy.  But if I'm hiking in harsh conditions, especially cold and wet, I would choose eVent.

If breathability is important, my DH swears by Marmot's "MemBrain Strata".  They have about a half-dozen jacket models that uses it and he has owned 4 or 5 of them.  (Right now he has the Oracle, I think.)  He's a big guy and wears that jacket year-round and says it's the only jacket that he doesn't get overheated in.  Only drawback is that the 2.5 layer fabric isn't all that durable.  I think his jackets last about 18 months before you start seeing some delamination, usually along the bottom, probably from all the abrasion getting in and out of the car, sitting down, etc.  It's light and comfortable though.

The First Ascent (Eddie Bauer) BC200 fabric has very similar specs to Marmot's MemBrain Strata (20K/20K) and I think it's a great jacket for the money, especially if you get it on one of EB's really good sales.  The drape is nicer than the Marmots, imo.  I made my own jacket out of a similar 2.5-layer fabric but if I had to purchase one, this is the one I'd get.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had an eVent jacket since 2006 and it makes my Gortex jacket seem like 6 mil plastic. The eVent is far more breathable. I can feel cold blow through it on a cold windy day. That is why they need no pit zips.

But eVent is just a laminate like Gortex and the actual build of the fabric might make a difference in both breath-ability and durability. Mine is ;  eVent 3-Layer Ultra-Light Mini Box Ripstop.

It is completely waterproof and very breathable but don't think you are going to be doing any hard hiking in it and not sweat. I can sweat in two layers of silkweight capilene in below freezing weather so eVent is not going to miraculously cool your body heat. But as I said my eVent jacket is so far ahead of my Gortex Jacket that I just gave the Gortex away. The eVent is much more comfortable.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Arizona @ Jul. 18 2013, 2:11 pm)
but don't think you are going to be doing any hard hiking in it and not sweat.

I am well aware of that.  I'm always amazed at people who think some miracle fabric is going to keep them from sweating.  You get too warm, you're going to sweat.  I'm just looking for something to effeciently transfer that sweat away from me.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just bought a westcomb focus event jacket for 220. I was super excited until I looked in the mirror and saw five small slits in it. I guess someone wasn't careful with the box cutter.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just noticed that REI has a Westcomb e-vent jacket on sale for $209.00. Do you think the slits were just a freak occurence? Otherwise, how'd like the jacket.  Anyone have any comments on Westcomb in general?

Thanks.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've heard really good things about westcomb, I'm sure others will chime in as well.  I think it was a freak accident.  I've held off on event but decided to pull the trigger and try it.  I got it from campsaver and their currently out of stock on the focus.  I was a bit surprised that they wouldn't commit to give me the 20% off when the jacket is back in stock.  I believe the jacket is 7 ounces.
 Post Number: 9
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i think eVent is worth it.  i like Wild Things Gear and Rab's use of eVent, and my wife has a REI rain jacket she likes a lot.  i'm sure there are many other good brands. it is proven technology at this point.  i still like the jackets with armpit zips best.
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thinking outside the box a bit.

I just bought some Neverwet spray for $20 and sprayed my boots and jacket. It has made my rainshell freakishly waterproof. It ain't gonna wet out anytime soon...which means I'll now stay more comfortable. Before spending a few hundred bucks, you might consider trying it out on your jacket and see what it does to it. I'm buying more soon so I can spray my backpack with it and my winter gaiters. Be aware that it discolors clothing (frosty light blue hue)

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jul. 20 2013, 12:36 am)
you might consider trying it out on your jacket and see what it does to it.

Does it lessen the breathability - such as it is - to any extent?

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jul. 20 2013, 8:03 am)

(Tigger @ Jul. 20 2013, 12:36 am)
you might consider trying it out on your jacket and see what it does to it.

Does it lessen the breathability - such as it is - to any extent?

Not that I've been able to tell. From my experiments so far, it actually "helps" the breathability on my boots and jacket. It can rub off and clearly a surface only product. It doesn't seem to absorb into the fabric much at all. It sits on top and only requires a very light coat to be extremely effective.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Tigger.  Might have to give it a try.  Is "Neverwet" a brand name and where does one find it?

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jul. 20 2013, 1:14 pm)
Thanks Tigger.  Might have to give it a try.  Is "Neverwet" a brand name and where does one find it?

Rustoleum is who puts it out. The only place I know it is at is Home Depot. It is brand new so I don't know who else is carrying it yet.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll check around.  Thanks again for the tip.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 9:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I purchased an e-vent jacket (Montane something-or-other) in 2011, and have really been impressed  with its waterproofing and breathability. This particular jacket was well worth the money, but I've found E-vent has a couple of caveats.
1) It is really breathable, so much so that in cold winter wind, I can feel cold spots on the windward side. Goretex was warmer, but I can't really say because it shed the wind better or I was just used to the humidity inside the jacket.
2) It must be kept clean. Follow the washing instructions carefully.

Both items are minor really, the breathability in winter is a big plus when skiing xc, and I just add a more windproof layer underneath for skulking around camp afterwards. I liked it enough to relegate my Marmot Oracle jacket to work wear. That thing never really kept me dry anyway.

Montane has a nice line of jackets. Can't remember where I got it, but there is a place online that sells them at a reasonable discount, so google them and see what comes up.
15 replies since Jul. 18 2013, 12:18 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply e-vent
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions