2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trail runnera. Brands that are good vs. bad?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BreakneckScrambler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 12:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of these brands, which are considered good trail runner brands, and which are considered ones to avoid?  (You can skip the average ones)  Just want to know the outliers....

Addidas
 ASICS
 Asolo
 Avia
 Brooks
 Columbia
 ECCO
 Hi-Tec
 KEEN
 K-SWISS
 Magnum
 Merrell
 Montrail
 New Balance
 Nike
 Patagonia
 Pearl Izumi
 PUMA
 Reebok
 Salomon
 Saucony
 Teva
 The North Face
 Under Armour
 Vasque
 Vibram

Which ones in this list are considered decent?
Sorted by price.  

http://www.ebay.com/sch....9&rt=nc
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The good ones are the ones that fit *Your* feet.  The bad ones are the ones that don't fit *Your* feet.  Various companies use different lasts and construction for various models, and you have to find the ones that match *Your* feet, or just count on getting lucky.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yea, I know that.  Let's just assume they all fit the same.  
Which would be the best one to buy?
 Post Number: 4
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me? I like Salomon. Though my last 2 pairs I bought I was not 100% happy with them.  I have decided to try 1 more pair..the wings. If these do not prove to be what my feet need, then I will probably try New Balance trail runners.  ...

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok, so New Balance and Salomon are not in the "yes"  column.
 Post Number: 6
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You left off La Sportiva, which is what I wear (Wildcats).  Excellent shoes, fairly popular with trail runners.  Those are all reputable companies on your list, they all make good shoes.  You won't go wrong with any of them--as long as you get ones that fit your feet and your needs.
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like most things, there are good shoes and bad shoes within each manufacturer. I love Asolo...for some things, but not all. New Balance has the best variety of footwear in regards to sizes and widths in my opinion. I also have a pair of Salomons that I like.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brand sorting doesn't work. I try on six pairs of Montrail shoes and find one model that works. They discontinue the model, I discontinue Montrail usage.

Shoes that fit. Shoes that FIT. Shoes that fit.

I had Salomans that fit. They discontinued them. None of the current models work.

All trail runners that FIT wear the same. They last anywhere from 200 - 700 miles, and then they die.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 9
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brand means little to me. I start all over again whenever I get something new. Most of this stuff is mass produced in Asia, sometimes with variations in construction quality and sizing. Even buying a duplicate pair is not always a sure thing, and I've been bitten on that a time or two. Don't trust it 'til you try it.
I currently use "active" footwear from Asics, Ecco, Garmont, Merrell, Salomon, and 5.10, and have both likes and dislikes about all of them, though they are all "good" or I wouldn't have them to begin with.
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I find something I like, and that is usually in the first couple of months, then I will go buy a back up pr immediately.  If I get wind they are discontinuing a shoe I like, I buy all I can find.  Still, I will be looking for a new shoe soon.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 11
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is this a real question? Are we still having this discussion?

I am beginning to think this guy is going market research here.
 Post Number: 12
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Jul. 21 2013, 8:20 pm)
Shoes that fit. Shoes that FIT. Shoes that fit.

This.  THIS.  This.

ETA: Ah, I see.  He/she links to an eBay search at the bottom of the OP.  He wants us to pick out the "best" shoe brand so he can pick it up online without going through the hassle of trying it on.

BreakneckScrambler, it doesn't work that way.  Get to a store, try them on.  Spend a few hours doing that, it'll be well worth it in the end.  Vasques used to work great for me... but I haven't tried on a pair of Vasques that fits me worth a darn in years... they all go too narrow on the toe-box anymore for me.  Your experience will probably vary as much from mine as your own foot does, which makes this thread kinda pointless.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You left Inov8 off your list. Try using a place like Zappos. They will ship you 1 or 10 pairs free. You can try them on around the house for a year and stills send them back free as long as you don't remove the tags or get them dirty.

They are more expensive so after you find a pair you like shop around till you find a good price.

Once you find a pair that fits buy 3 or 4 pair because many brands get discontinued pretty fast.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 14
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

there is no 'best' brand.  how they fit is the absolute difference-maker.  fit first, features second.

i currently use a pair of north face hedgehogs i like.  i also like Treksta's trail runners, the evolution II (you didn't include that brand on your list.
 Post Number: 15
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW, many of the PCT hikers seen in Tuolumne this year were wearing Brooks Cascadias.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ended up getting the 5/10 Ascent for $107 from backcountry.com.  

I don't agree with the post above that says tennis shoes have worse grip on rock hiking JUST b/c they are tennis shoes.   Here is a real reason they might grip better, beyond [childish remark] marketing.

Look at the sole.  There is no heel.  That means the entire sole is touching the rock surface.  More surface area can mean more grip.  

The biggest improvement was that the shoes are new and stiff.  My ratty old tennis sneakers were almost like slippers.    So, with these stiff new shoes, I was able to jam the shoe into crevices and not worry about my foot getting all contorted.  I'm not sure of the word for this, but my climb pace took a huge jump forward b/c of the  stiff "platform" of the soles.   They might have been a little grippier as well, since the soles of my old tennis shoes were slick.  But I think the traction of brand new tennis sneakers compared to these 5/10's is probably not very different.  

The bottom line is that I simply needed ANY new pair of sneakers, and it would have made a huge improvement, since they have so much more structure.

Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 9:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now that I've squared away my shoes for the rock scramble ascent,
I think I want a cheap pair of hiking boots for the steep descent down.  
This is where I want as much padding as possible, to save my knees.
I'll probably get a $30 pair of Sketcher boots for this.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why are you still posting here if opinions here are so worthless to you?

All you've managed is to show how you can't understand the difference between the shoes you're talking about.

Your cheap pair of hiking boots with plenty of padding - yeah, padding self destructs in nothing flat. I'd go into detail about shoes that actually work for hiking in conditions you describe, but you don't care and therefore I'm wasting my time... have fun out there.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 19
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BreakneckScrambler @ Jul. 28 2013, 8:12 pm)
Now that I've squared away my shoes for the rock scramble ascent,
I think I want a cheap pair of hiking boots for the steep descent down.  

What about getting to the ascent?
There's a thread going on about post-hike footwear that you probably need to check into, too.
 Post Number: 20
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should probably purchase a cheap pair of driving shoes to get there...

--------------
 Post Number: 21
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every foot is different, so you would need to try them after determining if you want a waterproof membrane or conversely a lot of mesh, etc... .  Also I replace inserts in all my light hikers and trail runners with some stiffer aftermarket ones that are heat-moldable if using them with an overnight (or more) pack.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 22
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BreakneckScrambler @ Jul. 28 2013, 9:11 pm)
I don't agree with the post above that says tennis shoes have worse grip on rock hiking JUST b/c they are tennis shoes.   Here is a real reason they might grip better, beyond [childish remark] marketing.

Look at the sole.  There is no heel.  That means the entire sole is touching the rock surface.  More surface area can mean more grip.  

[...] But I think the traction of brand new tennis sneakers compared to these 5/10's is probably not very different.

OK... didn't think we needed to tell you to skip the high-heels for hiking...  Seriously, most athletic shoes don't have "heels".

You're wrong about the difference in traction though it may not be noticeable on the surfaces you've been on.  It's obvious on smooth granite and even more so when it's wet.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 23
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jul. 29 2013, 1:26 pm)
You're wrong about the difference in traction though it may not be noticeable on the surfaces you've been on.  It's obvious on smooth granite and even more so when it's wet.

Yes, a little desert trail dust on those soles will act like a thin layer of ball bearings.  When you really need traction, it's nice to have some big, deep edges.
 Post Number: 24
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Jul. 29 2013, 11:26 am)

(BreakneckScrambler @ Jul. 28 2013, 9:11 pm)

[...] But I think the traction of brand new tennis sneakers compared to these 5/10's is probably not very different.

OK... didn't think we needed to tell you to skip the high-heels for hiking...  Seriously, most athletic shoes don't have "heels".

I kinda scratched my head there too.  The only pair of shoes I have with "heels" are leather dress shoes I wear with a suit.  A heel (or lack of) doesn't differentiate a tennis sneaker from a hiking shoe.

But hey, whatever.  I hope your online purchase works great for ya' BNS.  However, if you're planning to solve your foot pain issues with heavily-padded cheap boots bought online without trying them on, I highly recommend taking along a set of moleskin patches.  I mean that sincerely, not to be snarky.  You'll likely find it well worth the few extra bucks.  I don't carry them any more (it's been years since I got foot blisters), but back in the day before I knew better, they used to be a regularly-used item in my first-aid kit.  They'll help the "learning by experience" process to be a bit less painful.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 3:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

...And bring some duct tape. I've had problems with moleskin sticking to some spots and some duct tape on a hot spot works in a pinch.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And bring some super glue. Frankly I find moleskin and duct tape both stick rather poorly on my feet in particular due to sweat. In getting rid of a plantar wart I found using some superglue on the skin before applying duct tape lets it stick for days.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 9:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Leukotape.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 28
besthikergear Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know some folks aren't a big fan of this topic, but I find it very important and here are some other "big picture" related areas of discussions.

1. Do you really want to use trail runners or should you use traditional hiking boots.

2. Do you want trail shoes that are made in the USA or do you not have a preference (quality concerns)

3. Are you a minimalist backpacker or a gear head that brings all the stops.

4. Are you interested in new technology and subsequently,  brands or types of gear that are fairly new and not as tested or tried and true?

My personal favorite is Inov8 because they fit my needs.  If I was going to do a section hike and I knew the weather was going to be wet, I would consider traditional boots, just for the sake of keeping my feet dry.

Here is my review of the Inov8 Roclite 295's http://www.besthiker.com/gear-review-inov8-roclite-295-trail-shoes/

--------------
Best Hiker Gear Reviews
 Post Number: 29
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(besthikergear @ Jul. 30 2013, 10:45 am)
I know some folks aren't a big fan of this topic, but I find it very important and here are some other "big picture" related areas of discussions.

1. Do you really want to use trail runners or should you use traditional hiking boots.

2. Do you want trail shoes that are made in the USA or do you not have a preference (quality concerns)

3. Are you a minimalist backpacker or a gear head that brings all the stops.

4. Are you interested in new technology and subsequently,  brands or types of gear that are fairly new and not as tested or tried and true?

My personal favorite is Inov8 because they fit my needs.  If I was going to do a section hike and I knew the weather was going to be wet, I would consider traditional boots, just for the sake of keeping my feet dry.

Here is my review of the Inov8 Roclite 295's http://www.besthiker.com/gear-review-inov8-roclite-295-trail-shoes/

"Traditional" is a loaded description. In general, that just means heavy and clunky to me. However, I have worn mountaineering boots for many years because they served the purpose of the terrain, my feet/ankles, and load I was in. They were definitely heavier than "standard" boots/shoes but I could stride with confidence in nasty terrain without worry and a bounce in my step. That said, I have no problem using hiking shoes vs. boots and prefer them when it makes sense (weather/conditions/load).

I don't care where my shoes are made as long as they are made well. The world is a global economy and I prefer to support everyone, not just "my" nation.

I tend to side on minimalism but won't sacrifice core comforts and on a whim...I will bring the kitchen sink. It really depend mainly on the group I'm with, the destination, and the season.

I am always interested in new technology but tend to wait until others determine if it is just a gimmick before jumping on board.

Most importantly with any footwear is fit, period. Therefore, the shoes/boots that fit the best...are my favorite.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not being one to hesitate to try something especially if it's on sale, I got a pair of Minimalist (Barefoot) Merrels.

I'll never backpack in 'em, and likely never day hike with 'em. They are nice camp shoes and decent water shoes; some grip on slippery stuff. Absolutely no support or protection from rocks and roots, and a broken toe waiting to happen hiking on trail.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
33 replies since Jul. 21 2013, 12:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Trail runnera. Brands that are good vs. bad?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions