2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Jerry rigging a pack belt, I need a quick fix for my pack belt< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Projoby Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 1:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was just wondering if I were to place foam padding on the nylon webbing of my pack belt could this then help with the digging of the belt into my hip? Any suggestions would be great I'm just starting up with backpacking and wondering if I should get a new pack, belt, or if this method of Jerry rigging would work?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My first suggestion would be to get the pack fitted correctly by an experienced backpacker or at an outdoor gear shop.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 3
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frihauf @ Jul. 23 2013, 1:53 pm)
My first suggestion would be to get the pack fitted correctly by an experienced backpacker or at an outdoor gear shop.

Ben

I agree, a good fitting pack is as important as good fitting shoes

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 4
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Projoby @ Jul. 23 2013, 1:38 pm)
I was just wondering if I were to place foam padding on the nylon webbing of my pack belt could this then help with the digging of the belt into my hip? Any suggestions would be great I'm just starting up with backpacking and wondering if I should get a new pack, belt, or if this method of Jerry rigging would work?

Sounds like you are overloading your pack. If the belt doesn't have foam along it then it's not designed to bear much weight. If it has some foam but not have enough foam to prevent bite, then it's still bearing more weight than it was designed and/or a poor fit for you.

Overloading the pack will do more than just cause the belt to bite. Aside from risking the pack actually tearing and coming apart on the trail, it will also put too much weight on your shoulder and potentially cause you some pretty serious back and/or shoulder pain down the trail. I used a poorly fitted pack for my first real backpacking trip, overloaded to 70+ lbs. By day 3 I have serious back, neck, and hip pain. By the end of the trip (day 5) I was almost crying on the last few miles. I had bruising on my hip bones (the bone, not just the skin) that lasted weeks from overtightening my belt to compensate for a crappy fit and a highly overweighted pack (in retrospect, that pack could really only handle about 45-50 lbs max).

Do yourself a favour - if you can afford it, buy a pack that has been professionally fitted and meets your needs. Or, if money is tight, try some new ones on and buy a used one that you know will fit.  Also, reassess what you're packing much more closely - most people bring much more than they need.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have about a 200 dollar budget to put towards a new pack if that's the route I were to take, I'm looking at the Mars 80 from REI would this be a good pack
 Post Number: 6
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can you give us some more info such as volume of gear carried and weight?  The Mars 80 is frickin' huge!  If you need 80 liters then fine, but I'm betting you don't need a pack that big.
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Projoby @ Jul. 23 2013, 3:19 pm)
I have about a 200 dollar budget to put towards a new pack if that's the route I were to take, I'm looking at the Mars 80 from REI would this be a good pack

Do you have an REI or other retail outdoor store near you?  My suggestion would be to go to the store, try on a number of packs, and find one that fits you well.  Odds are, your current pack doesn't fit you well at all.  Or as SB mentioned, it might be overloaded causing the suspension to sag and pinch.  Hard to say.

First I'd read up a bit on it.
Here's a guide by REI: Adjusting the Backpack
And a YouTube video from Backpacker: Fit a Backpack Right

Keep in mind that in pack sizes, S-M-L don't refer to the size of the bag, those are the size of the frame.  You can get a very large pack in size "Small" and vice-versa.  You'll want one that fits your torso and hips well.

Any pack you try on, put weight in it and carry it around awhile.  If you feel any rubbing, pinching, etc in the store, it's not the pack for you.  Take some time with it, there's nothing wrong with being in the store a couple hours.

That's the only way you're guaranteed to get a pack that fits you well.  Just taking suggestions online is only a guessing game.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Offhand it sounds like the hipbelt is riding too low on your hips which can cause chaffing and numbness.  Like others have said, you need to make sure your torso adjustment is correct.  

Not all packs can carry "real world weight" in the 60-75 lb range without sagging and the real test of a harness system is weight.  Some packs are made to carry weight comfortably, most are not.  I have found the Kelty externals to be poor performers with anything more than 60 lbs.  And the outstanding Dana Designs Terraplane sags with anything over 75.

I found it helps to bring the hipbelt up higher on the hips so that the buckle itself is right at the navel or slightly above.  Torso adjustment will allow this.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 9
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take your "stuff" to REI with you. Make sure your stuff fits in the pack and the pack fits your body size. I'm a short fella but have a long torso that needs a large pack. I think there is a video on the backpacker site that describes how to measure your torso to fit a pack. 1/2 qan inch can make a big difference.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went to REI with it and the problem is the padding on the belt doesn't come all the way around my hips. The staff member that fit it to me said that everything minus the belt fit properly. My current pack is 5500 cubic inches which is roughly the size of the Mars 80. However, they discontinued it several years ago and they don't make belts to swap in or out.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would say I also have roughly 40lbs of gear
 Post Number: 12
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Projoby @ Jul. 23 2013, 8:51 pm)
The staff member that fit it to me said that everything minus the belt fit properly.

That's a nice way of saying it doesn't fit.   :laugh:

Seriously, if the belt isn't right to begin with, it will never be right.  It's the foundation.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok thanks everyone I'm going to REI tomorrow and getting a new pack and getting fit properly. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.
12 replies since Jul. 23 2013, 1:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Jerry rigging a pack belt
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions