2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Permethrin, Help me with the math< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought 8 ounces of 10% Permethrin from Tractor supply this afternoon.  It was $6.99 so the price was right.

I need to cut it to .5%, the same mixture that comes from a spray can.

If I want to make a quart of spray at .5% how much do I need to mix?

What's the formula I need to use to calculate this?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

19 parts water to 1 part of your Permethrin.  To make a Qt of spray, that means 28.5 ounces of water to 1.5 ounces of your Permethrin. Yeah, I know.  That only makes 30 ounces, but I figured close enough without major fractions.  Basically, you bought enough for 5 qts, if you wanted to mix it all up at once.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

doesn't the application versions of the product also contain something to help bond the permethrin to cloth?  i thought I read somewhere that simply cutting it woth water wouldn't work like the application product.
 Post Number: 4
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you have 10% and want a 0.5% solution, your ‘juice’ is 20 time too strong (10/0.5=20)
So, you need to use 1 part ‘juice’ to 19 parts water (or personal body oils)
So you want a quart:
use (1/20)x32 oz=  1.6 oz ‘juice’
use (19/20)x32 oz= 30.4 oz water
you get 32 oz of 0.5% solution (I think)

Is this right ?  This is like word problem in 6th grade math, so I’m not completely sure
If there was some way to cypher this out with trigonometry, I would have more confidence in myself

edit: Oh, cool.  zeke got a 1:19 ratio too...so we are either both right or both wrong  :D

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 5
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both Zeke and red dog have the math close enuff. I usually use a little less water. Been doing it for 3 years and it seems to work. I have put on my bug suit with head net, which have all been sprayed, and stood in a cloud of skeeters and they stayed away.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 23 2013, 3:18 pm)
doesn't the application versions of the product also contain something to help bond the permethrin to cloth?  i thought I read somewhere that simply cutting it woth water wouldn't work like the application product.

http://www.bugsource.com/permethrin_10_.html

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I mix mine to 3%.  So far I'm not dead yet.  Not too many mosquito bites, either.  Although a lot of them come to investigate...
 Post Number: 8
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is the problem. (Not with the math, that is correct.)

Did you get the kind that is water-based (Vector Ban, Pyranha 1-10 PX, or Sector) or did you get the kind that is oil based? The oil based permethrin is horrible at low initial percentages. Your clothes will stink very bad with the 10% as I found out when I forgot mine on a trip and had to buy what I could find locally. The 34% or 38% is much better.

I just made up a gallon of the water based to put on a hat I am testing that can't handle oils. (It will be used on other clothes too.)

I wish I could find 100% permethrin. I don't know why it is not available.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 9
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jul. 24 2013, 8:48 am)

Did you get the kind that is water-based (Vector Ban, Pyranha 1-10 PX, or Sector) or did you get the kind that is oil based? The oil based permethrin is horrible at low initial percentages. Your clothes will stink very bad with the 10% as I found out when I forgot mine on a trip and had to buy what I could find locally. The 34% or 38% is much better.

I just made up a gallon of the water based to put on a hat I am testing that can't handle oils. (It will be used on other clothes too.)

Just a guess, but it could be that is begins to spontaneously crystalise at higher concentrations.

Or, that above 38% it passes a certain toxicity threshold after which it requires special licencing to purchase and apply.
 Post Number: 10
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gordon's farm Permethrin 10.  The odor could be an issue..haven't opened it yet to smell of it but if it's to bad I'll spray the barn with it.

I haven't seen the 38% stuff, where are you finding it?

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 11
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gunslinger @ Jul. 24 2013, 6:43 pm)

Gordon's farm Permethrin 10.  The odor could be an issue..haven't opened it yet to smell of it but if it's to bad I'll spray the barn with it.

I haven't seen the 38% stuff, where are you finding it?

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/permethrin-sfr-368-quart-p-445.html among other places.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog....gion=US is also available for purchase (analytic standard pure...doesn't get much more concentrated than that  :p )
 Post Number: 12
jmarklane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.amazon.com/gp....8&psc=1
11 replies since Jul. 23 2013, 5:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Permethrin
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions