2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 1 OR 2 person sleeping bag?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JohnQP Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done a few searches and it seems like no one's ever made a product like this: a 1-person bag that can be converted to a 2-person bag. For snuggling with your SO, or for emergencies (buddy loses his bag), etc.

Basically, I was thinking it could be like a typical mummy bag, except with an extension that can be zipped into it, making it big enough for 2. Sure, it's some added weight, but you can leave it at home (or not buy it) if you don't want it. Sure, it's a niche product. But wouldn't something like this sell enough to be worth doing? It doesn't sound like it would be too much of a design challenge, but what do I know?

Thoughts? I was actually thinking of making my own bag one day, so maybe I could try to make one of these myself.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some manufacturers (Berkeley SkiHut  Trailwise?) used to offer "matching" sleeping bags that had complimentary zippers to allow them to be zipped together.

Probably no longer available for a reason. Never have found "incompatible" sleeping bag zippers to be any sort of an issue myself...
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Western Mountaineering makes several semi rectangular bags that can be zipped to a bottom sheet called a Summer Coupler, which allows a single bag to be opened out to a quilt which is then zipped to a bottom, which could be a second matching bag if you wanted.  (Hmm.  Sounds like a run on, but all the correct phrases are in place. ) I have had the Ponderosa in the past, and still currently have a Mitylite which are of this type.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That'd certainly be easier, geometry-wise, with rectangular and semi-rectangular bags as the foot ends would be better matches.
 Post Number: 5
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For many years, a company in Talkeetna, Alaska made a triangular zip-in extension that would expand a single sleeping bag to not only accommodate a couple, but a few kids as well. Anybody remember this?
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 1:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(highpeakdrifter @ Jul. 24 2013, 12:48 am)
For many years, a company in Talkeetna, Alaska made a triangular zip-in extension that would expand a single sleeping bag to not only accommodate a couple, but a few kids as well. Anybody remember this?

I remember the product, but I don't remember who the manufacturer is.  :(
 Post Number: 7
JohnQP Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm just going by what I read, and I've read like 10k pages in the last week or so on almost as many topics, but the impression I got was that mummy bags are what you want for real cold weather performance. I was also under the impression that most rectangular bags can be zipped together, as long as you buy the same kind (or bags with the same zippers?), and get one with a left hand zipper and the other with a right hand zipper.

But I was trying to think of a way to do this without compromising performance; to do it with mummy bags. I was trying to think how to do this with 4 season bags with tight fits.
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The WM Ponderosa has a zipper down the side and across the bottom.  It opens up completely flat and can be used as a quilt.  It is good to a conservative 15*.  I used it down to 5 on occasion.  Not sure what you call Cold, but that was cold enough for me.  

As for the sharing?  I prefer a bag that does not zip together in the middle, like most mummy bags do.  If one of you gets up in the middle of the night, cold air is admitted to the entire set up.

Snuggling in the sleeping bag is a romantic idea, but in reality it is not practical.  Best to just have 2 good bags so each of you can be comfortable.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know I've seen that before, having trouble finding one right now.

I know they've been made before, but couldn't tell you what the brand was.  I just don't think there's much of a market for it.  Folks want a single mummy bag, or if they want to sleep with their honeys they bring a double-bag, of which there are plenty on the market.  I get what you're saying, but there just doesn't seem to be enough demand to sustain a whole product line for long at all.

But I could be mistaken.  I'm still looking to see if I can find what my mind's eye is remembering.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have one, but have never used it, except for trying it out with the wife once just to see if it would work.

The "Sweetie Pie" bag doubler:
http://www.functionaldesign.net/

Seems like it wouldn't be all that difficult to make something similar, or just to use an appropriately warm bag as a quilt - at least if the two people who were going to use it were "chummy" enough...
 Post Number: 11
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's nothing if you want something that will take care of 2 "if your buddy loses his bag". In that case you're screwed in winter. The best would be a secondary lightweight sheet that zips to a bag to increase size but loses insulating ability.

If you want to sleep 2, get opposite zips and put 2 full-size bags together. Or as Campmor puts it "Get left and right zippers if planning to mate".

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 12
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JohnQP @ Jul. 24 2013, 12:25 am)
I've done a few searches and it seems like no one's ever made a product like this: a 1-person bag that can be converted to a 2-person bag. For snuggling with your SO, or for emergencies (buddy loses his bag), etc.

Basically, I was thinking it could be like a typical mummy bag, except with an extension that can be zipped into it, making it big enough for 2. Sure, it's some added weight, but you can leave it at home (or not buy it) if you don't want it. Sure, it's a niche product. But wouldn't something like this sell enough to be worth doing? It doesn't sound like it would be too much of a design challenge, but what do I know?

Um...yeah, it'd be a really niche product. My SO and I either zip our two (mummy or rectangular) bags together or just carry a lightweight bag/sheet and a heavier bag and flip the appropriate side for the weather on top. I'm not sure how a zip-in extension would improve on this?
 Post Number: 13
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both Big Agnes and North Face make pairable sleeping bigs.
I use the Lost Ranger from Big Agnes, and it pairs together quite nicely.
I also have tested the North Face Dolomite/Allegheny sleeping bags, they too pair together very well.
Me and the lady quite like them.
12 replies since Jul. 24 2013, 12:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 1 OR 2 person sleeping bag?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions