2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Shoes, looking for best post-hike camp shoes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Conundrum Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 1:20 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just finished a 4 day 3 night backpacking trip in my backyard (Glacier National Park) and decided to poll the BP community on the ideal camp shoe.  I hike in with LL Bean Cresta boots which I love.  The dilemma is once we arrive at camp.  I love to fish on BP trips so this adds another element.  I use Solomon Tech-Amphibians now, but they dry slow, are kind of heavy, and the mesh allows too many rocks/sand/gravel in which is impossible to get out without removal.  Here is what I want in a camp shoe
-light
-quick dry
-drains water
-decent support (we ford streams allot in MT with pack on)
-filters out small rocks
-can be worn with socks (no-flip flops)
-decent wet rock grip for fishing lakes/streams
-toe-protection
-easy on/off

Let the opinions fly!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you're probably going to have some compromises one way or the other.  hard to tick all those categories with one shoe.

for light/cheap, flip flops and crocs.  crocs do a better job meeting some of your needs, but they don't grip terribly well on wet rocks and don't offer a whole lot of support.  the holes tend to let little stones in.

chacos aren't lightweight, rocks can enter (and exit) pretty freely, and the only toe protection is the protruding sole in front.  but they fit your other needs.

you could consider some of the fivefinger shoes.  the ones with more mesh dry pretty quickly, and they cover your toes, and can be worn with socks (socks with toes).  not quite so easy to take on and off, and not terribly supportive, though your legs do get used to them.

best of luck.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm also considering the new Keen Clearwater CNX. It looks to meet all criterion except filtering rocks and sand. Anyone have an opinion on these?
 Post Number: 4
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i'm not familiar with that Keen.  i have a pair of Keen Hydro Guides.  keen hydro guide

only pair of keen water shoes i like.  excellent drainage.  silt and rocks can get in, and they aren't super light.  very comfortable, sized big enough to accommodate neoprene booties if needed.  i don't tend to bring them hiking because i prefer something lighter weight.
 Post Number: 5
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love my Chacos for all those reasons...well, except toe protection, but I've surprisingly never broken any using them.

My lab manager has the Clearwater CNX and loves 'em.

I wonder if xc racing flats wouldn't fit your bill. Mine dry in an hour or two out in the sun. http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-....pd.html
 Post Number: 6
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This:

http://www.backcountry.com/chaco-tedinho-pro-water-boot-mens

Don't forget fit OP. First and foremost.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming!  I may consider something from Inov8 too.  My wife has 3 pairs for different activities and swears by em.  Never used in water though.  Used for gym, trail running, and Spartan Racing.
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 7:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Conundrum @ Jul. 24 2013, 4:46 pm)
Used for gym, trail running, and Spartan Racing.

I hate to nitpick, but I don't think these guys wore Inov8 shoes all that often running around.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

None of those guys had a BMI near 30, either.  At least none of them in the picture.  Heavyweights may have been towards the back.  :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 24 2013, 7:40 pm)

(Conundrum @ Jul. 24 2013, 4:46 pm)
Used for gym, trail running, and Spartan Racing.

I hate to nitpick, but I don't think these guys wore Inov8 shoes all that often running around.

So we should wear capes, masks, and Speedos?  Do the shields double as cookware?  Spears instead of sporks?

Sounds like a Pickle Gulch thing.  I'll bet spindle's behind this...
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quality off topic comments indeed
 Post Number: 12
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

seven dollah croc knockoffs from CVS. 8 oz for the pair. Never soaks up water/quick drying. They've lasted for years and double as creek crossing shoes for tamer waters. Any down bootie/Primaloft sock fits in 'em so they make good get-up-at-midnight shoes.

Superglue felt strips to the bottoms and they'll stick to slick rocks. They do let in small gravel, but that's a nitpick. You don't get quick draining without holes.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 13
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to have a set of Teva River Runners.  Great support.  You can get rocks in them, but since they're open, you can just shake your foot and they fall out.

I suppose you could wear socks, but it would look dorky as hell.
 Post Number: 14
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Conundrum @ Jul. 24 2013, 10:36 pm)
Quality off topic comments indeed

:D

Sorry, I know it was a serious question, I just found the whole "Spartan Racing" thing humorous.

Honestly, as others noted I doubt you'll find a shoe that meets all those criteria simultaneously, which is why I didn't have a good answer for ya' in the first place.  You'll need to prioritize.  Light and easy on-off, but rugged with solid support?  There'll be a compromise.  Quick-drying but fully protected against rocks, etc?  Again, a compromise.

Anymore, I don't even bring a pair of camp shoes.  I used to, all the time.  But since my regular walking/hiking shoes are light and comfortable enough for me now, I don't even bother needing to change at the end of the day.  I tend to wear lightweight breathable shoes with relatively thin socks, so I cross water without bothering to change, and let them dry as I go.  It works for me and saves me the weight/bulk of another pair of shoes.

However, I've also been working on strengthening my ankles and feet over time, so even with a heavy load off-trail in rough terrain I get by with pretty light shoes.  It's a long process, and a lotta folks may not be comfortable doing that.  So as always, YMMV (your mileage may vary).  I don't have much to suggest beyond that.

Best of luck in your search,

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I fully realize that I am asking for something that doesn't likely exist due to my extensive requirements.  My goal is simply to find that one nearly perfect shoe that meets 90% of my needs.  I like the feedback and ideas.  I figure if we can put a dude on the moon, we can build the perfect camping/trekking/fishing shoe!

No offense taken on the Spartan comments.  I found it quite entertaining.
 Post Number: 16
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just bought a pair of these:

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/amphibious/ultra-red.html

I ordered them from Amazon for $50.

It's my intention to use them to replace my Crocs for a camp shoe.

They are less bulky.
They weigh less. (Crocs = 12.48oz / Vivo = 7.72   Size 11)
And they can be cinched up for a tighter fit when fording streams.

So far I've only worn them around the house but I like them.
 Post Number: 17
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

These.  Used them for years in the smokies
http://www.rocsocfootwear.com/

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 18
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Vivobarefoot and Rocsocs both look very good.  I found these Salzenger Aqua Shoes on eBay.  They are made out EVA and seem "croc like" but lighter at 7 oz per pair.  The bad news is they ship from Korea.  Thinking about trying a pair.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 19
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Jul. 25 2013, 2:37 pm)

hey, great find. are these as cheap as they cost or have they held up well? have you hiked in these or do you just use them for creek fording?

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 20
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Jul. 25 2013, 4:46 pm)

(bad knees @ Jul. 25 2013, 2:37 pm)

hey, great find. are these as cheap as they cost or have they held up well? have you hiked in these or do you just use them for creek fording?

Yeah they are light and hold up  well.  I use them for creeks, around camp etc... Had the same pair for a few years.  They have new improved models that are even better for the trail.  More cushion grip, etc... They stay on better than crocks too. As you can see by my name, I need a bit more support for the trails, though.  BOOTS!  

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 21
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 Vivobarefoots. Meet pretty much all of your criteria, and are very light. I had used Crocs, but I was always worried they would slip off during stream crossings. The Vivobarefoots cinch up, and provide good footing. Just have to find them on sale!
 Post Number: 22
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 1:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Spartan Shield doubles in use as a satellite dish.
True story:
Amstrad in England were one of the first to sell satellite TV dishes. They used a modified trash can lid...
(Alan Sugar/Amstrad/satelite dish)
 Post Number: 23
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I lost a croc in a river. It came off and floated away.

---George
 Post Number: 24
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Conundrum @ Jul. 24 2013, 11:20 am)
.. I love to fish on BP trips so this adds another element.  I use Solomon Tech-Amphibians now, but they dry slow, are kind of heavy, and the mesh allows too many rocks/sand/gravel in which is impossible to get out without removal.  Here is what I want in a camp shoe..

Even sandals will let pebbles in.  For stream crossings, I just use trail runners with a light gaiter ("dirty girls").  A waterproof gaiter will just trap rushing water and is only used for lots of snow (IMO).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 25
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Jul. 25 2013, 8:05 am)
Superglue felt strips to the bottoms and they'll stick to slick rocks. They do let in small gravel, but that's a nitpick. You don't get quick draining without holes.

Or glue indoor-outdoor carpet to the bottoms. I used to do this with sneakers, back when I was a trout fisherperson.

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 26
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't know a thing about them, but I've been thinking of pulling the trigger to get some.  The sure seem like they'd work just fine.
http://www.sandsocks.net/

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 27
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosierdaddy @ Jul. 29 2013, 8:42 pm)
Don't know a thing about them, but I've been thinking of pulling the trigger to get some.  The sure seem like they'd work just fine.

Think I'll take up beach volleyball  :p

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 28
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jul. 29 2013, 7:35 pm)

(hoosierdaddy @ Jul. 29 2013, 8:42 pm)

Think I'll take up beach volleyball  :p

lol...I caught that.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 29
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

croc knock offs. I found a pair with decent tread and you can always glue on some felt as mentioned above. Wear neoprene socks to help with the sand and gravel.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oldnolder @ Jul. 30 2013, 9:04 am)
croc knock offs. I found a pair with decent tread and you can always glue on some felt as mentioned above. Wear neoprene socks to help with the sand and gravel.

My concern with Croc's and Croc knock-offs is width and support.  I have narrow feet and think they would be too wide for me.  They also have failry large holes on the sides and an enclosed toe.  Seems like they would trap rocks inside when fording.  I do love and use NRS neoprene socks for fishing, but the extra bulk and weight is not acceptable to me for a serious backpack adventure.
36 replies since Jul. 24 2013, 1:20 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Shoes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions