2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Flying with gear..., Yup, another one...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 9:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know there was a recent thread about this (sorta) but I figured I would just start another one...

In another month, I will be flying from Memphis, TN to Seattle, WA, via Delta Airlines. I will be meeting up with a few friends for a week long hike in the Olympics! Anyway, neither flights are one-way trips, and for this reason, I am choosing not to check a bag. (Personal preference.) Instead, I will be mailing some items ahead (likely via USPS), and carrying the rest as carry-on.

I am trying to keep the amount of shipped items down simply to help keep cost down somewhat. At the moment, I have a 12 x 12 x 15 "Regional Flat Rate Box C" that I am working with (although, final size will be determined when I have everything together). The price to mail this will be $47, plus I have to mail my trekking poles in a separate tube, so I am thinking around $65 total. The nice thing though is when I send it back, I can use a smaller box since food is taking up the most room...

So, I just want to lay out my thought process on some items, and see what everyone thinks... I have never flown with gear, so this will be a first, and I spent way too much on it to have to throw it away at some airport check, so would rather ship it to be safe...

Also, here is a link to my complete gear list, although, it may change a bit before heading out, but I plan to mail the items in another 2 weeks, so it won't change much. The items that are highlighted gray in the "Item" column are the items I am debating mailing...

ONP Hike Gear List

1. Stakes: This is a no-brainer. I will mail these in the stuff sack to keep them organized.

2. Kitchen Gear: I am up in the air about which fuel source I want to go with, and even a bit with which cook kit I want to bring. I will carry either the 0.9L Evernew cook pot w/ the TD Sidewinder cone, or my LiteTrail 550 Solid Fuel Cook kit.

A) Cook Kit: I will mail it since I am afraid that they may detect fuel residue on the entire system. However, has anyone actually had issues with this? Particularly the cook pot & windscreen. I would ship the stove no doubt, but I am up in the air about the pot and screen...

B) Spoon: It is titanium, and I am afraid they may think it is a weapon, especially since it is a long handle spoon...

C) Mug: It is also ti, and I have cooked in it over both Esbit & Alcohol, so the fuel residue thing...

D) MiniBic: I think that it is ok to travel with up to 2 lighters (?) but I figure it will be easier to keep up with it by packing it in its normal place.

E) Fuel: This is another no brainer... I just need to decide between Esbit or alcohol (or even supplement with wood...)

3. Trekking Poles: If I am not mistaking, they (TSA) recently ruled against carrying trekking/hiking poles on board?

4. Easton NanoLite Poles: These are part of a tripod system I am trying out. There are 4 separate 13" poles. It will be easy to leave them in the cuben stuff sack and just stuff them in the tube with my trekking poles.

5. 20 oz Gatorade Bottles: My water carrying method is to carry two 20 oz Gatorade bottles, one on each strap. I am up in the air with this one. I can likely just grab 2 of these once I arrive over there... but then again, I like the idea of getting there and knowing I have everything already to go...

6. Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter: This is something I just thought about... I have seen one article where some agents thought that a water filter was a pipe bomb! So, I am not sure about this one... Has anyone been given any grief for flying with a Squeeze Water Filter (used before of course)?

7. Wet Wipes: I dunno... what do you think?

8. Ditty Bag: There are a lot of items in here that may be questionable... pills, liquids, fire starters, knives, etc... I will just leave it all packed together and ship it as is.

9. Camera Tripod: This is a beta thing... It may make it through, but just to be safe, I will throw it in my shipping box...

10. Food: I am not sure what sort of food is allowed on, but due to the bulk anyway, I will just mail it so I can be sure to keep my carry on small. Food items will include Hawk Vittles meals, candy bars, fruit chews, Larabars, Fuel bars, 3-in-1 Instant coffees, Emergen-C, crackers, etc... Also, as I mentioned earlier, this is the bulk of my mailed items, so on the return flight, I can use a smaller box since I won't be mailing food home...

So, these are a few things that I can think of. As I said, I am just curious if anyone has any suggestions (not so much on the actual gear list, but instead the flying vs shipping thing...)

Also, I will need to carry a phone charger, so I can recharge my phone at the hotel the night before my flight back. I am thinking about just throwing it in my mailing box, but not sure. Has anyone had any issues with phone charger wires/cords with carry on?

Thanks everyone for your help.

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't have much time to really go though or think much about your list...sorry...but the only thing that has affected me when I fly has been fuel.  Even the SLIGHTEST odor, or indication of prior use has made the TSA rear it's ugly head!

The real questions is:"  Where are you going in the Olys? (My  :cool:  backyard!)

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 10:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosierdaddy @ Jul. 25 2013, 9:27 pm)
Don't have much time to really go though or think much about your list...sorry...but the only thing that has affected me when I fly has been fuel.  Even the SLIGHTEST odor, or indication of prior use has made the TSA rear it's ugly head!

The real questions is:"  Where are you going in the Olys? (My  :cool:  backyard!)

Thanks hoosierdaddy! That is my concern... "Even the SLIGHTEST odor..."

My cook kit is one thing I was/am debating, but at the same time, I don't want to have to chunk it at the gate...

As for where we are going in the ONP, I am not sure yet. I am meeting up with a group of folks. Barefoot Jake has a few options and once we gather we will decide on which course we would all prefer... I don't really care, I am thinking that I will enjoy it no matter what! And this will be my first hike out west... so I am super excited about that!  :)

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 4
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure what you mean by "neither flights are one-way trips" -- do you mean that they're not direct flights?

I think you'll be perfectly fine carrying on pot, mug, spoon, i.e. easily identifiable cooking/eating utensils.  I would ship the stuff that non-hikers wouldn't recognize, i.e. stove, wind-screen, filter, etc.

Tri-pod should be fine.  Wet-wipes are fine.

Rule of thumb I'd follow is to carry-on things that a typical traveler would take that aren't specifically disallowed.  TSA screeners are familiar with camera equipment, wet-wipes, travel-sized toiletries, first aid, etc.

If you're worried about checked luggage not making connections, maybe consider checking it on the way home.  Save you the cost and hassle of making/sending packages home.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Personal preferance? Ok.

I always check all those items and have never had a problem. Seems a lot simpler. Never had any damage and never had anything come up missing. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've done this quite a few times.

The only thing I don't pack is stove fuel. We always make it a point  to locate an Rei type store to get last minute supplies and in Seattle you should check out the Flagship Store in downtown. Way cooler than those here in Atlanta.

10 years ago we went to Oly NP and did the High Divide loop with an extra night up to Appleton Pass. Then we spent a night at Sol Duc and soaked in the hot springs and then backpacked 3 nights out on the coast, Third Beach to Oil City. It was a great trip!
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Larger tripods are banned, probably too much like a club or the also banned baseball bats. Something you can fit in a box like that might pass but my full size Gitzo carbon fiber has to go checked, while the Kirk B-1 ballhead gets a look because it's a tad heavy and solid metal but passes. I actually wrote my Senator to get an answer out of TSA, (constituent services rule) and that's how I got that confirmed.

For general issues involving TSA I like their own informational website:
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/camping-gear

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

My various chargers and cables never get a second look.

Lighters are only allowed in checked baggage if there are two or less packaged in a "TSA approved" case.., okay for carry-on.

I just buy a pair at my destination.
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 26 2013, 9:43 am)
Lighters are only allowed in checked baggage if there are two or less packaged in a "TSA approved" case.., okay for carry-on.

I just buy a pair at my destination.

Yeah, I was gonna say, they sell Bic lighters in WA.  No reason not to just pick a couple up at any random gas station or convenience store when you arrive.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 8
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We put it to paper this year and it was cheaper to pack and check the camping stuff on the plane versus shipping to vacation.
 Post Number: 9
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tiger Fan... my bad... "indirect" flight would have been a better word... Anyway, you make good points about familiarity. I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Kayman, there is a chance I may make it to a few stores, but it will be at the end of the hike...

HSF, the tripod I am carrying is not a traditional tripod. It is basically a head that incorporates my 2 trekking poles, and a separate (4 piece Nanolite) pole. The 4 sections of pole will fit nicely inside the cube with my trekking poles though, so no issue there...

EGreno, I figure I could save about $20 or so by just checking all of my gear, but that does not guarantee that it shows up with me. I am that person that would end up with lost luggage... At least with mailing it, I can do so about 3 weeks ahead of time and then know whether or not it made it. This puts my mind at ease much more than saving $20... I understand things can happen in the mail to, but it seems to be a safer bet for me...

So, I am leaning towards using Esbit, and I think that the easiest thing is just to order some more and have it mailed to my friends house. This way I don't have to worry about the correct forms to mail it.

I am just going to buy more Gatorade bottles once I arrive. It will save room & weight in my shipping box.

I think that I am going to mail the water filter too, just to be sure...

Anyway, thanks so far to everyone that has commented. This is only my second time flying, and while I am sure that many of the horror stories I hear about the TSA agents are a bit exaggerated, I am sure that there are some that are not... and as I mentioned above, I am usually that person that it happens to...

Either way, I do appreciate the feedback. I have about 2 weeks to figure it all out on what exactly I want to mail, and what I will carry on...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I fly every year with my gear, and not all flights are direct.  I have never had a bag go missing or had something taken out of a bag. I have had inspection notes left by agents, telling me they opened and checked the contents, but they put things back in a relatively close way to where I packed them. Alcohol stoves, bics, knives, trekking poles, all go in my checked baggage. I try to fly that airline that advertises bags fly free, but even at $25 a checked bag I would go that route over shipping via USPS. Food always goes in my carry on and I have never had a problem

Your choice, but you came here asking for opinions so you now have mine. :).

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 11
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Delta= Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive
 Post Number: 12
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 1:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow... I read Zekes message and felt optimistic about just checking it all.... Then the next one from Andy just turned that feeling upside down...  :)

Really, I do appreciate all the comments and opinions, as Zeke said, I did come on here asking for opinions...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(STICK @ Jul. 28 2013, 1:03 am)
Wow... I read Zekes message and felt optimistic about just checking it all.... Then the next one from Andy just turned that feeling upside down...  :)

Really, I do appreciate all the comments and opinions, as Zeke said, I did come on here asking for opinions...

I take 4-8 flights a month, and I've flown backpacking gear 2-4 times a year round trip for at least ten years.  In the last 25 years, I've had bags delayed three times, and never lost any.  Mrs. big_load flies much more than I do, and her record is about the same.
 Post Number: 14
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We only fly once a year but don't ship gear because we could only ship it to a hotel.

So far all gear has made it in our checked luggage. We get direct flights whenever possible. I do carry on what I couldn't replace quickly such as my boots and short length pants.

We check the tripod but remove the head and put it in our carry on. I did have a problem one time when I had 2 phones in my purse. They flagged it for excessive electronics. We had purchased one in Ireland and I had my iPhone as well, so I had to explain that to TSA.  She didn't seem to like my explanation that buying a phone was cheaper than the international plan but I got through anyway.
 Post Number: 15
Outamatches Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just flew to San Francisco last week and checked my bag. I packed my pack just like I would for the trip and put foam blocks over the end of my hiking poles. I took my stove and cooking stuff out and let it air out for a few days. I did not pack any fuel or lighters. I then put all that with my boots in a big duffle bag and locked it with a TSA padlock. My flight was by no means direct as I had two stops and changed carriers. I got to SFO and my bag was there waiting for me. I fly quite a bit and have had very little problem with lost baggage. It is always a chance you take but if they do loose it they usually get it to you in 24 hrs.
I think the cost of UPS would out way the $25 it cost to check a bag. I have had UPS and Fed Ex loose way more stuff than the airlines.

--------------
"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden itself"
Oscar Wilde
 Post Number: 16
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(STICK @ Jul. 28 2013, 1:03 am)

FWIW, the Department of Transportation maintains statistics about lost luggage by airlines and Delta actually scores quite well; #4 in the most recent data and the best of the big airlines (American, United, etc.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Similar to others, I've flown a lot and never had a piece of luggage "lost."

I have had luggage delayed before, on two occasions I recall.  It got there within a day or two.  But never lost completely.

Nice thing about the UPS option, obviously, is that you can ship it well-in-advance and make sure it's gotten there well before you arrive.  No "last minute" surprises, so to speak.  But then again, I've never had a problem.  Luckily neither of my delayed-luggage experiences happened on an extended backpacking trip.  I still check my gear at the airport and don't worry about it.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 18
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just returned last night from a BP trip out west so faced this same predicament. I flew Delta (non-stop both ways) and checked a bag for all items I couldn't carry on. Checked bag arrived at each end no problem.

Here's how I handled it:

1. Stakes - agree, check or mail them.

2. Kitchen Gear - plan on getting fuel once you land, not allowed as carry-on or checked baggage. All other kitchen gear should be fine.

A) Cook Kit - should be no worries about the pot and screen, but if you are mailing ahead not a bad idea to send. My alky stove and accessories were in my checked baggage both ways, no problem.

B) Spoon - I have a long-handled aluminum spoon (S2S) and it was in my carry-on, was not a problem at security. It doesn't have any sharp points or edges so it shouldn't be considered a weapon just because it is a few inches long and metal.

C) Mug - I keep mine inside my kettle so it was in my checked bag, but should not be an issue if you want to carry it on.

D) MiniBic - lighters technically are not allowed either carry-on or checked baggage (neither are matches), I had a couple of Bics and some matches in my carry-on and all was good.

E) Fuel - agree no-brainer, get at destination.

3. Trekking Poles - I think what the TSA ruled is that they were going to start allowing poles but then backed off of that. I put mine in my checked baggage and they came through no problem.

4. Easton NanoLite Poles - can't comment, but checking or mailing is the safe bet.

5. 20 oz Gatorade Bottles - should be OK to carry on (empty), definitely OK for checked baggage or mail.

6. Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter - I carried mine on the plane with me, on the way out there was no problem but last night TSA took a real long hard look at it. At security they pulled my bag for re-screening and took everything apart, they thought my Sawyer was "electronic" and sent it through the x-ray belt again along with my PLB. Took an extra few minutes but ultimately no problem at TSA screening.

7. Wet Wipes - fine to carry on or send ahead.

8. Ditty Bag - good idea to ship ahead. Would be OK to sort out the pills to carry on from the sharpies to ship, but easier to keep it all together and ship. FYI I put these things in my checked bag, along with my Gerber Paraframe, and no worries.

9. Camera Tripod - can't comment.

10. Food - should be fine to carry on if you want, I had a full bear canister on the outbound flight in my pack that I carried on, TSA didn't bat an eye.

Other advice to offer: if your pack is carry-on size and you plan to carry it on, also bring a separate bag of some sort to keep at your feet for items you'll want during the flight (snacks, reading materials, etc). The pack won't fit under the seat and much more convenient to have a separate bag handy than to get up to rummage though the pack in the overhead. I used a little drawstring "backpack" that I received as a promo giveaway item, lightweight and packed down small during the BP trip itself.

Have fun.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 19
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok... you guys may be persuading me just a bit...

I am thinking about "chancing-it" and checking my bag...

However, I will still likely ship my trekking poles. Reason being, they are the GG LT4's and their minimum packed size is 33" long. This will make fitting them in luggage a little tight, and a bit of potential for them breaking. Maybe if I had one of those hard sided luggage cases though... or I could take the sweet BD Alpine Carbon Cork poles I just picked up on Steep & Cheap for $65...  :)

Anyway, I have already taken care of the fuel. I simply ordered some more Esbit & had it delivered to my friends house.

Noted that Bic's are not allowed on carry-on. It should be easy enough for me to stop at a gas station and pick up another Bic and 2 Gatorades like GBH suggested earlier.

Other than these items, I guess everything else would be ok to check?

My ditty bag has my med kit in it, along with some cleaning items. I have random pills sorted in those tiny little ziplocs, and my Germ-X, and some bleach in tiny dropper bottles. Would these be ok left as is? Most of the pills are only 5 or less, however, I have about 30 Vitamin I's packed like this... Should I do anything special to them, or are they ok packed like this?

Also, I always carry a fresh lithium AA battery in my headlamp, and 1 in my Ditty bag as a back up. Should these be carried on with me rather than checked? I guess I could put these in my little Loksak with my spare camera batteries and just carry them all on like this? Of course my camera will be carried on with me too...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 20
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TSA actually prefers batteries be carried on rather than checked.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 21
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I section hike the AT and check my pack as it will be going on the trail with the exception of fuel and water.  I pick up fuel, water and a lighter or two and then hit the trail.  I am careful about the straps so they do not hang away from the pack.  The trekking poles are inside the pack.   I have done this for several years and have not had any problem.  When I am going on a trip that will include a rental car I put the pack in duffel.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 22
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The three of us flew last year to ONP and checked everything, pretty much.  I used my son's backpack as a carry-on (and daypack) and carried our raingear and insulating jackets in it - things that would be a little more difficult to replace upon arrival in case something was lost.  My hubby and son carried on their daypacks as we spent two weeks in WA and did both backpacking and dayhiking.

We were flying home from Chicago one year and watched the TSA unpack two backpacker's packs to inspect them.  For this reason we didn't pack our packs all nice and neat; it wasn't going to stick if TSA went through it.

In the end this is what we did:

We had one hard sided rolling suitacse where all the big fluffy stuff went (sleeping bags, pads, pillows, etc.) and odds and ends in a big stuff sack.  I think the cook gear and what food we took with us (FBC meals, mostly) got stashed in here as well.  We took an alky stove that I had washed thoroughly, and we didn't have any trouble going through.

We had one rolling duffle suitcase for the general clothing.

The bigger backpacks were packed loosely with whatever else didn't go someplace contained - trekking poles, probably the tent, the boots.
Each pack had a lightweight duffle to go into during transit which we stashed in the pack lids until check-in time.  It was dead easy to make our way through the airports with the packs on our backs and the rolling luggage in our hands.

What we didn't pack we bought on site - fuel, matches, snacks and supplemental food, bug dope, etc.  We knew that if a bag was lost we could replace most everything on site.  I'm a big believer in spending half a day at a grocery store to pick up local stuff - but then again there are 3 of us and traveling as light as we can on the flight is somewhat of a priority.

It worked out real well and the traveling went off without a hitch! :)

Have fun - we had such a good time last year.  You will love it.

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 23
larrys Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry but have not read all the replies, but my bottom line is buy a duffle bag and check your pack on the plane - just make sure it is under the 50 lbs weight or they will charge you additionally.

I have flown ever year for the past twelve years and never had a problem - returned on Thursday from a week in CO and will leave next week for a week in Beartooths.

I put shoes, hiking poles (with tips covered) and rest of gear into duffle bag and check it on the plane.  Never had an issue with stove or lighters.  I will stop by an outdoor store at destination to buy fuel.  I always carry carbon fiber tripod/camera on plane with me as I don't want to risk having it stolen or damaged - tripod is light weight and suited for backpacking.

I fly United and have always trusted them or Continental to handle my equipment and so far never an issue.  Good luck and hope it helps.
 Post Number: 24
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW, I had no problem with lots of long sharp pointy stakes but had to give up my little Classic SAK - there's some nice TSA logic for you! This was 2 years ago. The small knives are OK now. They even let me take my poles both ways. They are cheap flick-locks from Walmart so easily replaced if needed. Also had 7 days of food. My pack barely fit the size limit with that.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2013, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Aug. 05 2013, 8:38 pm)
The small knives are OK now.

They are?  That's news to me. I got a small SAK Classic knife (keychain sized pocketknife) confiscated from my carry-on just a few months ago.  I forgot I had it in my backpack at the time.

Have you verified that?

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 26
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Aug. 06 2013, 10:23 am)

(topshot @ Aug. 05 2013, 8:38 pm)
The small knives are OK now.

They are?  

No, they are not.  TSA announced a proposed change in policy a while back, but withdrew it under fire from various airline employee groups.
 Post Number: 27
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2013, 9:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry, hadn't heard it was reversed.
 Post Number: 28
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 07 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(STICK @ Jul. 27 2013, 10:03 pm)

Jumping in late, but seriously, just check it all -- EXCEPT for fuel which you buy at your destination.  If you follow the news, airline luggage mishaps occur everyday and everywhere just like crimes occur everyday and everywhere.  But the reality is that you most likely won't be mugged today... and your checked luggage won't be lost either.

Not sure how big your backpack is, but mine is carry-on size.  So, I carry on everything -- except for my trekking poles and knife which I put into a cardboard tube and check (cardboard tube available at all post offices and office supply stores).

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 29
ColoradoWalt Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have 1.5 million miles on Delta over the last 20 years. Haven't lost a bag yet, and I check my bags. I carry on my laptop bag only. I can count on one hand how many times my checked bag has been delayed. I still use a Kelty Super Tioga pack and carry trekking poles. Purchased the North Face XL Base Camp duffel for flying my gear. Pack, poles.... everything goes into it (took a while to decipher the pattern to fit my Tioga in the bag but in it goes). Like another poster said, no problems as long as you don't put prohibited items in. I do get a nice note from TSA every trip inside the bag :-)

Rules I use for flying:

Arrive at the airport early. Give TSA and the airline plenty of time to get your gear on the plane.

Do not skimp on the time between flights. If you have to run to catch the next plane so does your luggage. Give you and your luggage time to get there.

If possible don't head out on your adventure the day you arrive by plane. Usually what people call "lost luggage" is really delayed luggage.
28 replies since Jul. 25 2013, 9:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Flying with gear...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions