2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sun shirt recommendations< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 1:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for comments, insight on a sunshirt for backpacking. Heard good things about REI Sahara, wondering if there is more to know.

Long sleeves (able to roll up), good ventilation, a collar that can be worn "high" for a little more protection are on my want list (I'm typically having a broad brimmed Tilley airflow hat on at the same time, unless it is an hours long steep ascent and I need superman ventilation).

And, hopefully those features are compatible with having a pack on for long hours.

I've noticed Railrider sunshirts (with venting strip on torso, insides of arms). Their lack of collar puzzles me but am interested in hearing from any who have used them. I use Railrider pants and happy with them.

Thanks, Eric
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The REI Mojave is similar to the Sahara, but has pit zips with mesh vents.  I have a couple of those (one very old, one kind of newish) that are my go-to shirts for the desert.  I also have a Railriders shirt (it predates their sunshirts) which has held up pretty well, but isn't quite as protective.  I love my Railriders pants.
 Post Number: 3
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bigload, thanks. I checked the Mojave and they are sold out for the season.
 Post Number: 4
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got a Mountain Harwear Canyon shirt that I wear when I'm fishing, mowing the lawn, or hiking in the sun. No complaints - solid, works, fits well.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 5
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

for what its worth, I have a ton of "Natural Gear" river shirts that meat these requirements, I get em for under $20 each from Sam's club.\

Not the highest end sexy gear, but solid and cheap  :D  (sorta like me)
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got several Ex Officio shirts that I think work great. I wear them for paddling. They fit and wear well.
 Post Number: 7
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a couple of Cabela's Guidewear long sleeve shirts. they have pit zips, extended collar, vent back. áThe one's I have are well made and have lasted several years of heavy use.

On sale now for $25.00

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 8
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an REI Sahara shirt and a similar one made by Columbia.
They work well for both sun and bug protection.
 Post Number: 9
BigRick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 3:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the cabelas gxII fishing shirts.  UPF 40 rated,They are long sleeved with the roll up button hooks.  Nice and light, lots of ventilation especially in the backpanel and it is onsale now.  I own two of these.  they are actually a nice looking shirt as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product....roducts
 Post Number: 10
rockymtbiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 04 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just bought one, and love it. I might buy another one in blue!

Hard to beat the price...

(Chuck D @ Jul. 30 2013, 6:42 pm)
I have a couple of Cabela's Guidewear long sleeve shirts. they have pit zips, extended collar, vent back. áThe one's I have are well made and have lasted several years of heavy use.

On sale now for $25.00

Just bought one, very nice. Can't beat the price...

--------------
The wolves were howling the last night I camped last season. Saw a wolf pack in the same area while deer hunting months later. Can't wait to be back in their back yard...
9 replies since Jul. 30 2013, 1:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sun shirt recommendations
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions