2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Lifestraw water filter?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nmgaucho Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 3:26 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anyone here tried this? It has great reviews and looks like it would work great for reducing weight (filter).

http://www.amazon.com/Vesterg....6QF3TW4
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Altarboy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have several Aquamarina straw filters here at home for emergencies, but for hiking, I would think it would be a pain to use. I guess you could scoop and carry dirty water and then drink through the straw when necessary. I'm sure it's a good product, but with Sawyer Squeezes going for thirty something at Academy Sports, you might look elsewhere.
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 5:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used one on a Sierra trip. It was a pain to tell the truth. I do think that they make a good back-up for the weight. I also don't know why they can't be carefully backflushed to get a longer life from them. Here I am getting a drink from a bucket just before turning in.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 5:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing I did with one was to replace the filter in one of my Sawyer 4 ways with a Lifestraw. It cuts the weight quite a bit and hold more water. I only used it on one trip though so don't really know how it would hold up in the field.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 5
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi Ray.  Is it easy to adapt the included Sawyer personal water bottle filter for use as a gravity filter?  I currently use the Sawyer 3-Way gravity filter.   How is the flow of the water bottle filter vs. the 3-way?

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, very easy, but not as "trick" as it does not have the disconnects.

It is exactly the same filter so the flow is the same. More has to do with how big a dirty bag you use and how high it can get. I just made a super-light system from a 4-way filter, and last year I made a 4L super-Sawyer system from the 3 way.

(I know, I have too much time on my hands.)

--------------
 Post Number: 7
backpackingrookie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking for water filters that are friendly to the wallet and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations.

I came across this filter called WaterBean while checking out Indiegogo last night and now I'm considering buying it. Any other recommendations?

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/waterbean/x/3468357
 Post Number: 8
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(backpackingrookie @ Aug. 08 2013, 3:27 pm)
I'm looking for water filters that are friendly to the wallet and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations.

I came across this filter called WaterBean while checking out Indiegogo last night and now I'm considering buying it. Any other recommendations?

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/waterbean/x/3468357

It does not remove bacteria or protozoans.  It does not replace your backpacking water filter.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 9
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2013, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently got a Lifestraw, but only intend to use it when I am day hiking. If I run out of water, hopefully there will water nearby so I can use the straw. I've run out of water before, and it isn't fun to be thirsty - "water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink."

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
8 replies since Jul. 30 2013, 3:26 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Lifestraw water filter?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions