2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: cleaning tree resin from clothes, best way without ruining the material?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 5:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi all, just back from a 9-day trek in Yosemite, I had a great time but my clothes not so much. In particular one set got tree resin on it, both the pants and the shirt (both are Columbia Silver Ridge). Have run them through the wash and used stain spray beforehand on the trouble spots, but as I suspected would happen the resin is still there.

I've used alky fuel to remove pitch in spot applications, not sure if this is the best method or if anyone has a different suggestion. Also I'm a little concerned that too much use of alky could damage the material. Any advice appreciated.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used rubbing alcohol with no ill effects in the past and works well (but basically the same thing as Denatured alcohol).

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Tigger, just wasn't sure if there is something better to use and/or if fabric damage would be an issue. I have some 90% isopropyl, will try that unless someone jumps in with a different idea. Thanks!

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used Goof OFF or WD 40 and then immediately washed it with detergent like ERA and gotten it off.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have some Goof-Off, and of course who doesn't have WD40, I had thought of those as perhaps more harsh than alky on the fabric, I'll turn to them if the alky doesn't work. Thanks!

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 6
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like others I have used denatured alcohol to get sap out of my backpacking pants and it worked great without any damage to the material.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 7
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've also done the trick where you freeze the item of clothing so the resin is hard and then break as much off as possible and then I scrape with a knife the rest that I can off and then use the Goof Off.
 Post Number: 8
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had good luck with WD40 before.  Just use it sparingly and wash it out immediately after.
 Post Number: 9
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WD-40 would probably be a last choice, and won't work as well as goof-off. Alcohol is ok (and safest for fabrics and people alike) but non-polar solvents like xylene, toluene, brake cleaner (both chlorinated and non-chlorinated), white gas, etc will work much better. But some synthetic fabrics may be damaged by non-polar solvents. Never use solvents on treated fabrics such as those with DWR or sil-nylon. I wouldn't even use alcohol on those, they will strip the coatings right off.

Brake cleaner evaporates quickly and cleanly - white gas will leave some residues that need washing out. WD-40 will leave oils behind that will require using scrubbing with detergent to properly remove. Do NOT use solvents in the sink (except alcohol, that one is fine) - it contaminates the waste water and isn't cleanly removed during treatment. Especially the chlorinated brake cleaner, which is highly toxic to aquatic life and denser than water so it contaminates it much worse. Instead, Use it on a hard surface like a driveway so that the fluid evaporates rather than absorbs into the soil or goes down a sink. Hydrocarbons are rapidly degraded in the atmosphere.

1- freeze and try to break off and remove as much physically as possible first
2- saturate with solvent (alcohol or other) and rub gently with a soft brush to help it dissolve
3- repeat step 2, rinsing with extra solvent to help remove it until gone

Let dry thoroughly before washing. Again, don't put any solvent into waste water.
 Post Number: 10
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mineral Spirits.

Or Technu, which is mineral spirits with mild soap.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 11
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The resin will burn pretty well, just sayin'. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used the freezing method, dry ice works great

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 13
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol does the trick with out leaving any residue.  90 - 100% works best.
 Post Number: 14
RidgeHiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 1:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in large evergreen woods. Generally use mechanics hand soap for most things. Seems pretty mild relative to a number of the things mentioned above. I have used it on funky work clothes so have not paid much attention to what it does to clothing.
 Post Number: 15
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 8:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OverUnder @ Jul. 31 2013, 9:18 pm)
Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol does the trick with out leaving any residue.  90 - 100% works best.

^ This has always worked for me.  You can also use most hand sanitizers as they are mostly alcohol.

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks all for the suggestions. I started with what I have on hand, isopropyl 91%, and with some elbow work it is taking the pitch off and not seeming to harm the fabric. It is leaving a stain where the pitch was, like a grease stain, I'll see if that will come out in a second washing.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 17
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2013, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Isopropyl will take a little more elbow grease as you noted as it doesn't dissolve oils very well compared to solvents like brake cleaner. But it's a lot less damaging to fabrics and environmentally friendly. I'm sure with a bit more work it will come clean.
16 replies since Jul. 30 2013, 5:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply cleaning tree resin from clothes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions