2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sticky rain fly, Any suggestions?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 6:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a  Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight that is admittedly, old.  However it's still in good shape and very serviceable except for one thing.  When stored, the rain fly sticks to itself at every fold.  It's not delaminating and to my knowledge, has never been stored wet.  It still seems to be waterproof as well and has no smell of mildew.  It's just that when unfolding it I have to pull apart every seam which is easy enough and doesn't seem to do any visible harm to the fabric but it does take about five minutes to completely pull apart all the folded seems. Not something I'd want to do if I was in a hurry to set it up, say in a rainstorm. Anyone experienced this problem before and if so, what did you do about it.  It's a great tent except for this problem with the fly.

Thanks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It does sound like it's delaminating. That's exactly how mine felt before it completely failed. If you contact Sierra Designs, they would confirm this. They have been very generous with me in the past. They might go so far as to send you a free replacement. Otherwise, I'm going to guess it's time to retire the fly.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does this type of thing happen to all flys?

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 4
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine usually die from the swatter.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jul. 31 2013, 7:33 pm)
It does sound like it's delaminating. T

Actually that was my first thought as well.  However, it shows no actual signs of delamination whatsoever so I am somewhat mystified.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Jul. 31 2013, 7:35 pm)
Does this type of thing happen to all flys?

It will happen eventually to all polyurethane coated nylon - fly, jacket, poncho, etc.

It does not happen to silicon impregnated nylon, which can be retreated and renewed. PU coated items are just done, toss and replace 'em.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Polyurethane chemically deteriorates over time by reacting with Oxygen and air moisture.

McNett makes a urethane  recoating product. I haven't used it but its sold on Amazon so there are reviews.
http://www.mcnett-outdoor.com/Repair-Guide/Tents/220.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00278BSU4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jul. 31 2013, 10:09 pm)
McNett makes a urethane  recoating product. I haven't used it but its sold on Amazon so there are reviews.
http://www.mcnett-outdoor.com/Repair-Guide/Tents/220.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00278BSU4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Thanks High Sierra. I haven't used that yet, but I'll keep it in mind.  I just washed the fly in Nixwax Tech Wash as was recommended by the staff, who seem pretty knowledgable, at a local shop.  I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow.  Right now it's drying out in my basement.  Nonetheless, that's a great website.  I'm going to bookmark it.

Thanks again.  Next thing I'm going to do is contact Sierra Designs. I'll keep you guys posted.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, If you do have to recoat the fly, remember to talc it or it will really stick to itself.  I recoated a floor and it looked perfect, totaly dry. Packed it up and when I took it out to use it , it was stuck to itself and pulled most of the coating off.  Then I was told, Ya put talc on it didnt ya...

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(zipposdad @ Aug. 01 2013, 12:49 pm)
If you do have to recoat the fly, remember to talc it or it will really stick to itself.

Thanks.  Hadn't thought of that.  I'll definitely keep it in mind.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're about to give up on it, try washing it in a powdered laundry detergent (scent free of course).
This saved an older tent of mine.
A quick DWR spray and it was good again.
No guarantees, as it could be a different issue, but if you've tried everything else, it's worth a shot.
 Post Number: 12
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just sent back the fly on my Hubba Hubba yesterday for teh same reason!

The CSR did not even let me finish explaining before he said send it back...

My tent is 7+ yrs old...they said it was a defect, so you may want to call SD...they are one of my favorite companies, they may say ..well that shouldn't happen...(and it shouldn't), and either replace the fly or give you a break on a new fly.

They did say that washing talcing will not work on the Hubba Hubba

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 13
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, don't fold it...stuff it.  It will lengthen its life.  folding creates leaks along the creases.

The Nikwax sounds like the right way to go.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 14
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Aug. 01 2013, 1:27 pm)
I just sent back the fly on my Hubba Hubba yesterday for teh same reason!

The CSR did not even let me finish explaining before he said send it back...

My tent is 7+ yrs old...they said it was a defect, so you may want to call SD...they are one of my favorite companies, they may say ..well that shouldn't happen...(and it shouldn't), and either replace the fly or give you a break on a new fly.

They did say that washing talcing will not work on the Hubba Hubba

I think all of the hubbas, from a few years ago, may have this problem. I have a Mutha with a warranty-replaced fly. Now, the inner floor offers no water resistance at all. It's pretty much useless for all but the driest of camp trips.
 Post Number: 15
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Put it on the tent inside out and spray the heck out of it with clear acrylic spray paint.  Works like a charm.  Dries flexible and non toxic and no smell.  I have gotten a few more years out of more than one fly this way.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 16
gjbu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2013, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a Sierra designs lighting to do same thing.  I called and sent tent to them and they replaced with new model. It was probably best customer service I have had with outdoor gear company. Had a north face tent do same thing. Took it back to rei. Neither tent had been stored wet.
 Post Number: 17
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 03 2013, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have anything to add to this thread, but I really appreciate the fact that someone asked the questions - I have a couple of old tents I'd like to save from this very phenom that I hope haven't let go past the point of repair. I really only saved them as patterns for making a new version out of silnylon, but I haven't gotten around to that either. I'm lazier than I should be. I'm better at creating projects to do than completing them.
16 replies since Jul. 31 2013, 6:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sticky rain fly
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions