2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What's the next tent on your list?, Looking into a new toy< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 8:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was thinking about the BA Scout, but I don't think the single wall, regardless of ventilation, will work well in the smokies.
Who's eyeing what?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A better car camping tent.  The Coleman or Magellan 4 man tent with a screened/awninged front porch.  Perfect for the Deep South in skeeter season.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm fine with the Lightheart Solo. In fact, my current collection of shelters is about complete. Tarps, double wall hybrid, Shangri-la for winter, hammock, done.

I'm lookin' at a nice kayak, tho.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Aug. 09 2013, 9:59 pm)
I'm lookin' at a nice kayak, tho.

Well, my collection of kayaks is about complete.  Whatcha looking at?

As far as tents, I'm back working on my own designs again.  They're not much of an improvement overall, but fun to mess with.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2013, 12:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Moment and a Fly Creek 2 man. I am eyeing the new Moment, or the Notch. I do not plan to buy anything in the near future. Both the Moment and the Fly Creek will last me many more years before needing replacement.
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2013, 12:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No new shelters. I've got more than enough for each season. Either down pants or a pack raft. I'll probably have to wait for my oldest child to leave the home first...He's eating my paychecks.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 7
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2013, 1:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now that I have my HMG Ultamid I can't say I have another tent on my gear list.  Hopefully folks here can suggest some new items I can buy.  Retail therapy beats physical therapy.
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2013, 1:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I crave space, and right now, I'm perfectly content with my Big Sky Mirage 2P tent.  A palace for one with two doors and two vestibules, weighing just 2.5 lbs.  No plans to replace.  :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 7:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How long have you had it Ben?

Any issues w/materials, etc.

I tried to order one years ago and was really p'o'd by the whole 5 month ordeal but the space/weigh ratio is compelling.

Otherwise I would love to find a roomy solo that would replace my SD VaporLight 2

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 10
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd contemplated the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout - 34 oz, hybrid single/double wall, plenty of room, and has various configurations. You can't beat the price, either: $125. They've also dropped their rice on the Lunar Solo: $150 -- 30 oz.

I'm working on a tentless system, now.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 11
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, since everyone raves about them and I'm attempting to lower my weight, I'm considering a Tarp Tent.  But not in the real near future.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 12
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I finally got myself the MLD Patrol shelter (Cuben) , and a Bearpaw Wilderness bug bivy.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 13
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd contemplated the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout - 34 oz, hybrid single/double wall, plenty of room, and has various configurations. You can't beat the price, either: $125.

wow...great price, .....I saw the video too, glad I did as I like the set up w/the little tube that locks in the trekking poles...

of course, who needs trekking poles with my cast iron knees??  especially if I have to carry them uphill

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 14
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definitely interested in this hammock: http://www.exped.com/exped....ocument

I know the Mrs. will frown upon such an arrangement but my intrigue may win out.
 Post Number: 15
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Next is the one I got this spring, just finally getting some use out of it. The StratoSpire 2 from Tarptent is quickly becoming my favorite non-freestanding tent.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Aug. 12 2013, 4:54 am)
How long have you had it Ben?

Any issues w/materials, etc.

I tried to order one years ago and was really p'o'd by the whole 5 month ordeal but the space/weigh ratio is compelling.

Otherwise I would love to find a roomy solo that would replace my SD VaporLight 2

I've had the tent since 2010, and have used it for about a dozen nights or so.  Prior to that, however, I have used the Mirage 1P and the Evolution 2P.  I LOVE Big Sky tents!  Top workmanship -- and no issues at all.

But still, the usual caveat for those interested in ordering.  Wait time can be long.  Be sure to check the website and call the number for availability first!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Aug. 12 2013, 7:58 am)
Well, since everyone raves about them and I'm attempting to lower my weight, I'm considering a Tarp Tent.  But not in the real near future.

Not that you asked...

Hikerjer -- if budget allows -- why wait just so you can continue carrying extra pounds  of weight around for miles and miles day after day -- when you don't need to?  Unless you are hiking in gawd awful places with super high humidity and no breeze -- tarptents are a great option for 3-season use.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Aug. 12 2013, 5:12 pm)

(hikerjer @ Aug. 12 2013, 7:58 am)

Not that you asked...

Hikerjer -- if budget allows -- why wait just so you can continue carrying extra pounds  of weight around for miles and miles day after day -- when you don't need to?  Unless you are hiking in gawd awful places with super high humidity and no breeze -- tarptents are a great option for 3-season use.

And some...even four season use.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 19
Kia Kaha Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have lightened up my Warbonet Blackbird 1.1 DL by switching out the speck suspension with whoopee slings and going with dutch clips and buckle, I am at about 20 oz now and just upgraded from my WB big mamajamba tarp to my hammockgear cuben hex tarp which weighs in at 5.2 oz. I think I put about a grand into equipment upgrades this year, and got my base weight from 15.7# down to 12.4#...but I am always looking for more!

Having the hammock with tarp in front porch mode is as about as comfortable you can be, I can eat, cook, read, and enjoy the scenery sitting up or laying down.

Any day above ground is a good day!

I am thinking of getting the cuben winter tarp with doors for cold weather camping and to fit over my WB ridgerunner bridge hammock, but for now my Jacks R Better 11x10 will have to suffice...until more funds are available.

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 20
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Aug. 12 2013, 8:12 pm)
why wait just so you can continue carrying extra pounds  of weight around for miles and miles day after day -- when you don't need to?  

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! :(

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 21
Kia Kaha Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2013, 9:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kia Kaha @ Aug. 12 2013, 8:45 pm)
I have lightened up my Warbonet Blackbird 1.1 DL by switching out the speck suspension with whoopee slings and going with dutch clips and buckle, I am at about 20 oz now and just upgraded from my WB big mamajamba tarp to my hammockgear cuben hex tarp which weighs in at 5.2 oz. I think I put about a grand into equipment upgrades this year, and got my base weight from 15.7# down to 12.4#...but I am always looking for more!

Having the hammock with tarp in front porch mode is as about as comfortable you can be, I can eat, cook, read, and enjoy the scenery sitting up or laying down.

Any day above ground is a good day!

I am thinking of getting the cuben winter tarp with doors for cold weather camping and to fit over my WB ridgerunner bridge hammock, but for now my Jacks R Better 11x10 will have to suffice...until more funds are available.

Late night, I misspoke, my baseweight is currently 10.1# for 40 degree and 10.7# fro 20 degree.

I still want the HG cuben fiber winter palace as my next shelter!

--------------
"Be Strong"
 Post Number: 22
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I were to get a new tent, I'd probably just get another Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2.1. That's the oldest tent in my collection, it was actually one of the first high-quality pieces of backpacking gear I bought, and is probably the tent that I'm most satisfied with.

I bought the tent for 30% off in early 2009 and have put over 100 nights in it in all types of conditions and absolutely love it. It is barely showing any wear. Now that I have an MSR Hubba I use it mostly for winter trips where I want some extra elbow room (two people in the tent is very cramped).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my shelters and probably won't be purchasing any in the near future. I've amassed quite a collection over the years (I purchased several at significant discounts when I worked at an outdoor gear shop):

- Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2.1 (bought in 2009)
- Granite Gear White Lightning Tarp (bought in 2010)
- MSR Hubba (bought in 2012)
- Mountain Hardwear Drifter 3 (bought in 2012 and never been used)

I use the MSR Hubba the most. I use the tarp somewhat often as well, and typically the MH Skyledge gets used by friends I backpack with who don't have tents while I use the Hubba.

I'm happy with my sleeping bag situation as well. I've got three bags: 15*, 30* and 40* and am happy with all of them in regard to weight and performance.

Ditto for sleeping pads. Neo Air 3/4 length for most seasons and NeoAir All Season for winter. Used on top of Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest 3/4 length.

Stoves and cookware I'm good on. No major room for improvement.

My next gear purchases will probably most likely just be clothes, socks and boots. But I'm pretty well equipped in those areas as well.

I'm focusing more now on how to improve the experience of backpacking, rather than improving my equipment. The two are definitely related and now that I've got my equipment dialed in I'm trying to craft my trips in regard to route, points of interest (which is the entire forest for me, but other people I hike with prefer more distinct highlights) and food.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 23
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Picked up a new tent, sort of, when I stumbled across an all-mesh inner for my Hilleberg Allak (one sale, even). The inner can set up, alone, with included pole holders or simply exchange it with the heavier yellow inner for most-of-the-year use. I plan on weighing the two inners to see the weight difference but I suspect it'll be around a pound. I'm definitely not going to miss that zippered panel on the yellow inner!
 Post Number: 24
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2013, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BA Fishhook UL1 zipper less.
 Post Number: 25
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 4:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Debating a tarp to use with my ID Unishelter bivy for a couple weeks in UT late this fall, since I seem to bring storms with me every time. It would literally double the weight of my shelter system(Notch fly/ZPacks Solo floor), but I'm not sure if the TT is up for 45mph winds.
Didn't cause any problems, but the top half of my sleeping bag did get covered with snow getting in the bivy during a snowstorm on my last fall trip. 'Course I may be overthinking it...
 Post Number: 26
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 5:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Aug. 12 2013, 11:20 am)
I'd contemplated the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout - 34 oz, hybrid single/double wall, plenty of room, and has various configurations. You can't beat the price, either: $125.

wow...great price, .....I saw the video too, glad I did as I like the set up w/the little tube that locks in the trekking poles...

I've had the Skyscape Trekker for over a year. It is easy to set up, packs very small and is very light. However, the single wall panel drips condensation on your bag and the ceiling ends up on my feet every night. I was in one very hard downpour that resulted in lots of water on the floor of the tent - nearly floated my Neoair. I'm guessing the water splashed in. So great tent if you want minimal shelter.

The next tent on my list is the Tarp Tent Notch.
 Post Number: 27
OldBill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Skyscape Trekker is due tomorrow, so this is a little concerning.  Heard that the mesh issues (foot and head) are manageable with additional tension.  Had not heard of major water issues from the single wall if seam sealed and properly vented.  Maybe venting with a small rise bathtub might lead to splash issues?  

Headed to the Winds mid-Sept, so it will get a good test.  At least it will be 2lb lighter than my trusted Backcountry I.
 Post Number: 28
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Being in the Smokies, it doesn't matter how well vented a single wall tent is, I wake up wet. There's simply too much moisture in the air. Especially this summer.
 Post Number: 29
spac3man Search for posts by this member.
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a Sierra Designs Mojo 2 (can't review yet), but LOVE IT. Hybrid construction, freestanding, very light, quick & dry pitch. I posted an initial report (somewhere else), if you're interested, send me a message...

--------------
Sláinte
 Post Number: 30
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 17 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have two now, so I think I am done. Crazy right? Until I hike in conditions that need something different, like maybe winter.

My inexpensive Alps Zephyr 2 is now my backup/car/kayak tent and my H.S. Tarptent Notch is my backpacking tent.

For about $100 the Alps served me well as a beginner tent and is a fine tent, just a bit heavy. Still small enough for kayak and not lightweight trips. And serves as a great backup. But as soon as I had the funds available I put my money into what I really thought would be the perfect backpacking tent and got the Notch. Only one trip with it so far but I do believe it to be the perfect single, especially for the East (double walled, bug proof).

Until I meet someone who likes to hike, I think the Notch will be it for me.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
53 replies since Aug. 09 2013, 8:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What's the next tent on your list?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions