2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anyone carry a fishing kit?, Looking for a gift< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 9:09 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not much of a fisher myself, but I am interested in buying a lightweight, backpackable fishing pole or kit as a gift. Any recommendations?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Need more info.

What will they fish for?  Where?

Is the recipient a closed face reel, open face reel, or fly fisher?

There's all kinds of pack rods available and enough reels out there to confuse anyone.  Help us narrow it down.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
TonyHardy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are a few out there.  But as a backpacker to remote area I can recommend type find a collapsable rod first the rods that come in pieces will break- I guarantee it.  Then get your self a reel fly or spinning.  And lastly a couple of small plano boxes for tackle.  You could also get a small hip bag that will fold up to fit very easy into your bag.

But fisherman usually grow into what works for them personally fishing wise as well as weight wise.

I personally go to remote lakes and rivers where the only way in is to hike atleast a day to get to and to give you an idea this is what I carry.

One regular rod which I tape to a 6.5 foot hiking stick.
One collapsible rod in my pack- Takes up no room
Two reels spinning - one light one ultra light collapsed down, already spooled - Takes up no room
One small plano box full of hooks, jig heads, and small weights, maybe 2 boobers.
Assorted plastic worms and grubs.  Still in manufacturer packing you can take a ton no space really required stuff them anywhere.
Fishing vest, with plenty of pockets
Fishing line
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But let me say it is tough buying gear for other people, it is really personal preference, I have outdoor gear up to my eyeballs that will never see the light of day that I have received as gifts.  

The one thing I have used and is a constant companion is a collapsible rod given to me 25 years ago and has bailed me out on numerous occaisons when primary gear failed.
 Post Number: 5
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Aug. 19 2013, 9:36 am)
Need more info.

What will they fish for?  Where?

Is the recipient a closed face reel, open face reel, or fly fisher?

There's all kinds of pack rods available and enough reels out there to confuse anyone.  Help us narrow it down.

Also, how much are you willing to spend?  Are you looking for just a rod, or a rod and reel combo?  

I don't necessarily agree with Tony about multiple section rods.  You just need to be willing to spend some money.  I have never bought an inexpensive fishing rod that I was in any way happy with.  My current spinning rod that I got for backpacking is a 4 piece 5.5 foot St. Croix.  It cost around $120, but worth every penny.  My flyrod is a Winston 5 piece.  Both are extremely packable, with no loss of function resulting from the multiple sections.  Since this is a gift, I don't know how much you're willing to spend, but as with any backpacking gear, trying to do things on the cheap rarely pays, in my experience.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TDale

Could be correct, as I have not owned a multiple section spinning rod for many years now and with the technology now but going on what I have experienced with top of the line gear a fly rod or spinning rod with multiple connections will fail maybe not with small fish but with a trophy do you want to take a chance.  

Also remember most fishermen that get hooked up will not allow the fish proper drag which over short a short time will eventually wear a rod down.  

But I will conceed and might try a st croix out (top of the line rod company.
 Post Number: 7
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TonyHardy @ Aug. 19 2013, 12:03 pm)
TDale

Could be correct, as I have not owned a multiple section spinning rod for many years now and with the technology now but going on what I have experienced with top of the line gear a fly rod or spinning rod with multiple connections will fail maybe not with small fish but with a trophy do you want to take a chance.  

Also remember most fishermen that get hooked up will not allow the fish proper drag which over short a short time will eventually wear a rod down.  

But I will conceed and might try a st croix out (top of the line rod company.

I think you're right about technological advancements, not only with regard to durability, but also action and sensitivity.  It is amazing to me that it is possible to build a rod with so many sections with no loss in function.  I have had several rods break at the ferrules, but both were very cheap rods.  I don't think either of them lasted a year.  You are also correct that it is not enough to have a good rod, you also have to know how to use it!
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TonyHardy @ Aug. 19 2013, 12:03 pm)

I never understood that.  There's no better sound than a drag singing.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you got that right.  It is awesome up on a remote mountain lake no one around your rod bent and singing and with patience and skill you land a trophy, the only thing you can say "oh shi*
 Post Number: 10
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TDale is correct...but for most types...LL Bean or Cabellas or Gander has some nice set ups.

If you are going to buy it for someone to bring backpacking consider a multi piece

I have a few four and five piece spinning rods which I carry in....the fish do not realize they are inferior rods....I bought one at Dicks, the other at LL Bean....both well under $60...ready to fish

I have had 2-3 collapsible rods and they did not like me..so I stick with the simple 4-5 piece...easy to slip into your side pocket of your pack if you have one.

My good friend got me into fly fishing...I've got a decent backpacking set up from Bean at under $100.  Preloaded w/line leader tippit etc some flies and everything (except a guarantee to catch fish, you gotta buy the big bux rods for that).  Two piece, apparently very inferior quality graphite rod, (that would have been $1,000 ten yrs ago), and it is two piece.  Tricky bringing in on the trail, sits too high on pack....due to that I am looking for an excellent cheap four piece rod.  

I am thinking of returning the two piece fly rod  as it is defective...and Bean stands behind their products.  It just doesn't catch fish...ever.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 2:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got one rod that has never caught a fish; my 8' surf rod.  My Cabela's rig has caught one fish...twice...stupid gar.

I've caught more on my ultralights and my Zebco 33 than any others.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few years back I bought a little Emmrod Pack Rod and simple spinner reel.  Kind of a funky design, and most competent fishermen would probably pooh-pooh it, but it's compact, damned-near indestructible, easy to use in tight quarters and it caught me some fish on trips in Alaska that a similarly-weighted fiberglass rod might not have, at least with a barely-competent user like myself. :p  The little spring-loaded metal pole (which detaches from the handle for packing) creates a pretty hefty cast, despite the short dimensions.

Anyhoo, I'm no expert, but just throwing it out there.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm actually quite liking that Emmrod pack rod. That's essentially what I was looking for.
It looks like it comes in a spinner also, which is what she (yep, she) likes.
She can catch a fish with anything, so it doesn't need to be super fancy. Just reliable, light, and fairly cheap. the Emmrod seems good.
 Post Number: 14
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

GoBlue's rod is an excellent idea.

If you go with a kit, ask the sales 'pro' for some lure ideas, and get some of them, also.

Good luck.
 Post Number: 15
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good call GBH.

If your friend is a fly fisherman.....give this guy a call, tell him to build an indestructible 4 piece 3 weight with a fighting butt.  The fighting but lets you fish it as a spinning rod as well.

I went a little heavier and mine has survived 3 trips to Alaska, two trips to Wyoming, 2 trips into Colorado, two trips to Canada and countless trips around Michigan.

I think I paid 160.00 for mine.

http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/rodgallery.php

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
 Post Number: 16
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've run across GBH's Emmrod a few times on the Chicago internet.  Opinions seem to vary widely, but I'm inclined to chalk up many of the negative comments to fishing snobs.

I don't own one, but find them intriguing in their simplicity and small size.

Dang berries look deelish, too...

What's the green stuff?  Way too small to provide a bed for smoking the fish.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never held on but, the Emmrod makes me think of the fully engineered version of Ronco's Pocket Fisherman.  And that little marvel did work.

I'll try one one day.  I've wished for just such a thing along many a brushy bank.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a really nice backcountry spinning outfit.  St. Croix Triumph TRS66MLF4 6.5' 4 piece rod with a Shimano Saros 1000 reel.  I put 10# braid on it and use a 3' section of 8 - 12# fluorocarbon leader.   The rod weighs 4.5 ounces, the reel is 7 oz with line.  I've been very happy with it.  Taking it to the Winds next week.  :cool:

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 19
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

anyone have any recommendations for a collapsable/telescopic spinning rod? I used to have one from cabelas years ago. Loved that thing. Got broken at one point, and I can't find one anymore. Kinda like to have one again.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 7:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try fishusa.com  They have Eagle telescopics which are usually quality.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Opinions seem to vary widely, but I'm inclined to chalk up many of the negative comments to fishing snobs.

Funny, it costs more than any of my gear save for the fly fishing set up....

I've got one rod that has never caught a fish; my 8' surf rod.  My Cabela's rig has caught one fish...twice...stupid gar.

I have one rod as well that I have never caught with...and it has yellow duct tape on it to remind me....It is a loaner..if you come fishing w/me...better bring your own gear

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 22
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go to www.amazon.com and search with:

fishing kit pack rod

---------------

also a fishing kit for the piscatorial elitist:  

http://www.greenfunstore.com/JohnDee....EK35073

:)

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 23
brooktroutballer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They make some pretty good 6 piece fly rods. These would make a great gift imo. They pack up so small you would barely notice them in your pack. redington tempt's they are fairly inexpensive as far as flyrods go. http://browntrout.info/best-fly-rods-for-the-money/ Orvis also makes some good small packable rods. Fly fishing areas and hiking  are quite commonly found together. These redington rods have lifetime warranties.
 Post Number: 24
brooktroutballer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GoBlueHiker: Do you have any video of you fighting those fish with that rod? I bet it was interesting!
 Post Number: 25
GaryP4321 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Aug. 19 2013, 6:09 am)
I'm not much of a fisher myself, but I am interested in buying a lightweight, backpackable fishing pole or kit as a gift. Any recommendations?

for backpacking get a tenkara rod.

www.tenkarausa.com

great for packing.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(brooktroutballer @ Aug. 20 2013, 4:45 pm)
GoBlueHiker: Do you have any video of you fighting those fish with that rod? I bet it was interesting!

No video, sorry.  Was by myself, and of course was busy doing other things.  :p
The rod did quite well though, even with the big humpy in the top picture.  It's got a good combination of strength and flexibility in that springed metal rod; there was never any fear of breaking it.  It helped that I strung it with 12# test to be sure.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it again, even on bigger fish. Those salmon are fun to catch, for sure.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Aug. 19 2013, 5:28 pm)
What's the green stuff?  Way too small to provide a bed for smoking the fish.

Devil's club skin/bark.  A native Tlingit boat captain showed me how to harvest it to make Devil's Club tea when I was hitching a ride on his salmon boat earlier in the trip. I thought I'd give it a try. Wasn't bad!  I've made it numerous times since. :)

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
26 replies since Aug. 19 2013, 9:09 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anyone carry a fishing kit?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions