2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Barefoot Shoes for winter?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 12:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know that sound kind of weird, but I'm trying to find a good casual shoe for when it's colder,rainy, wet, snowy, etc...

I'm that weird kid who wears shorts and sandals during the winter time. :p

I'd like to find a shoe that I could comfortably wear without socks. I only really wear socks if I have to, like when backpacking.

Any suggestions?

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boat shoes, like Sperry topsiders.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depends on your definition of "winter."  In some places "winter" is more like Spring in the rest of the country... a bit of cooler rain and some occasional snow that sticks around a few hours before melting.  Other places you're just inviting frostbite getting caught in a winter storm without protecting your feet.

Anyhoo, it's be easier to give suggestions if you elaborate.  What conditions do you expect and what do you want the shoes to do for you that your sandals don't?  Are you hoping they'll keep your feet dry?  Insulated?  Perhaps neither of the above, but just something to cover up your toes while walking around outside?

FWIW I just wear my regular street shoes around town most of the winter here in CO, except when the snow dumps heavily and I wear an old pair of boots I have. But YMMV.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thongs...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Aug. 19 2013, 4:26 pm)
Thongs...

This is about footwear, not underwear.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Aug. 19 2013, 2:02 pm)

Thongs...

Yeah, but wearing the right underwear will totally distract him from what footwear in the winter he has on.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love these:

http://www.rei.com/product....loseout

One of my favourite all time pairs of shoes. Decently water resistant when treated.

But not particularly warm - just better than mesh shoes.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Aug. 20 2013, 7:37 am)
I love these:

One of my favourite all time pairs of shoes. Decently water resistant when treated.

Sweet. :)  I sized these (or at least, the identical running-shoe version of these) at my local REI this morning, and liked them in my size.  Then I came back here and snagged up 2 pair.  Thanks Smokey!  Too bad I narrowly missed the Outlet 25% off sale though.  Oh well.  Still got some good clearance shoes.

My wife will be relieved.  :D  I still get to wear minimalist shoes I like around town, but she hates the look of my VFF "monkey feet" that I current wear, lol.  These will be an improvement in the fashion department.

- Mike

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 9
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My pleasure! Yeah I bought them as a nice looking minimalist shoe for use around town mostly. They're honestly one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned, despite being minimalist. Tread is so-so on snow or ice but other than that they're great, and adjustable enough that I can wear both thick and thin socks in them.
 Post Number: 10
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Aug. 19 2013, 5:58 pm)

(TDale @ Aug. 19 2013, 2:02 pm)

Thongs...

Yeah, but wearing the right underwear will totally distract him from what footwear in the winter he has on.

Cable knit sheep's wool thong. Provides some warmth, and intensifies the distraction factor. I daresay you'd keep quite warm with all the scratching, too. Add in the fact that wool doesn't keep odors well, and I think it's a freaking hit.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 11
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Aug. 20 2013, 9:37 am)
I love these:

Thanks for the replies!
Dang, I wish I got asked this during the sale. I would had considered those shoes...

--------------
 Post Number: 12
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Teva Omnium is surprisingly warm in the winter.
 Post Number: 13
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well probably not what your looking for but for the colder & snowy conditions I'm thinking boots, which have very little in minimalist footwear choices. But a few come to mind.

For more factory made normal looking shoes, Vivobarefoot makes a minimalist hiker... http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us....13.html they are waterproof too.

Also for a true winter boot, a smaller outfit thats a small family owned business called Soft Star, makes a sheepskin boot called the Phoenix boot. http://www.softstarshoes.com/adult-shoes.html?limit=all

I own a pair of casual/dressy shoes from each company (for work, when I have to wear nice shoes), and both are top notch. Soft Star's stuff looks weird by todays standards, most models looking like moccasins, and they all have a very soft and pliable leather instead of the traditional firm shoes of today. While they might look goofy they feel so good!

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 14
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Aug. 20 2013, 12:41 pm)
Sweet. :)  I sized these (or at least, the identical running-shoe version of these) at my local REI this morning, and liked them in my size.  Then I came back here and snagged up 2 pair.

If you like them in my size, feel free to pick up a couple of pairs and send them to me.  I'll pay for postage.   :p
 Post Number: 15
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Adirondackiteer @ Aug. 25 2013, 4:34 pm)
For more factory made normal looking shoes, Vivobarefoot makes a minimalist hiker... http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us....13.html they are waterproof too.

I just don't get why vivobarefoot makes "barefoot" shoes with pointed toes - the constrictive tips go against the premise of having a barefoto model. They have some great concepts, but with uber huge heels and pointed toes I find them unwearable - at least some models.
 Post Number: 16
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Aug. 26 2013, 1:25 pm)

(Adirondackiteer @ Aug. 25 2013, 4:34 pm)

I just don't get why vivobarefoot makes "barefoot" shoes with pointed toes - the constrictive tips go against the premise of having a barefoto model. They have some great concepts, but with uber huge heels and pointed toes I find them unwearable - at least some models.

It's especially ironic that the ad features a real barefoot print that would seem unsuited to pointy-toed shoes.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2013, 9:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The narrowness of the toe box was an issue with thier original hikers, these now are brand new models and I hoped they addressed that but not sure.

I don't think any of thier models have any sort of heels, what models are you referring too? Out of all the minimalist footwear I've tried my vivo ra's probably have the widest toe box and thinnest soles of all of them. My vivo ultras are just a tad narrower and if I tried to run in them u can feel just a little rubbing on the pinky toe but I use them for just walking and easy to slip on shoes for whatever. For that they are great.

I've actually been eagerly awaiting the redesign of thier hiker, and that was actually the first I saw it. Need to actually try one on or wait for more reviews to see if it still has the narrow toe box issue. I'm not in a big hurry since I've been hiking bare, but still looking for something for below freezing.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Adirondackiteer @ Aug. 27 2013, 9:03 am)
I don't think any of thier models have any sort of heels, what models are you referring too?

I should have clarified that I meant "wide" heels - and a bit much volume overall, making them a poor choice for those with low volume/narrow feet. I have low volume feet with narrow heels but wide forefeet and squared toes which makes them a poor fit for me - at least the ones I tried. There is apparently a lot of variability in the line-up and the Neo's are supposed to be better in the toes.

It's too bad, I really like their products overall (though some look pretty goofy).
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Saw these the other day and thought about this thread... giving them serious thought for a minimalist winter boot. I havent done much hiking in the winter but I'd love to. Or just working around the house or in the woods, hunting season, etc. Thought these looked pretty good for a minimalist.

They have a brown pair available now too, I just like the black ones.

http://www.lemsshoes.com/men_c_7.html

--------------
 Post Number: 20
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those look like they would not be warm in the area I hike in. Cool, but them's ain't no winter boots for dealing with snow.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Picturing those in six feet of powder.... Yeah. Sticking with insulated and waterproof. The only thing I hate worse than waterproof boots is frostbite and amputation.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 22
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mechrock @ Aug. 19 2013, 11:51 am)
I'm that weird kid who wears shorts and sandals during the winter time. :p

During winter where? Florida? Hawaii? Go for it.

Try it where I live and we will call you Peg Leg Seamus next year...

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well of course 'winter' is a general term. The OP was talking about sandals and shorts so thought the boots I posted were actually too much lol. Sounds like were talking about walking to the store, not footwear for a multiday hike at 20 below. I dont think youll find minimalist options that are super warm (except maybe the Soft Stars sheepskin ones I previously mentioned). I still run barefoot through a lot of winter (not florida or hawaii either), but you have to know your own limits as frost bite is a nasty thing.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here you go.

Sorel Glacier Boot

Only 6 pounds. :p  They'll keep ya' warm though.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Adirondackiteer @ Oct. 03 2013, 10:58 am)
Well of course 'winter' is a general term. The OP was talking about sandals and shorts so thought the boots I posted were actually too much lol. Sounds like were talking about walking to the store, not footwear for a multiday hike at 20 below. I dont think youll find minimalist options that are super warm (except maybe the Soft Stars sheepskin ones I previously mentioned). I still run barefoot through a lot of winter (not florida or hawaii either), but you have to know your own limits as frost bite is a nasty thing.

Going to step back in this thread.

Guess I'm a weird one to please. I don't really want boots for bare feet. I guess i just want something to keep them dry during the winter. The snow melting on them is what makes my feet cold, not the fact I'm wearing sandals. I think I've developed decent circulation in my feet because since High School I'd wear some type of sandal. I'm now in my senior year of college and I'm still wearing sandals in the cold. (Down to 15f in the mornings walking across campus.)

The only time I find my feet cold is when I stand still too long or get them wet as state above. I actually have some vivo barefoot shoes, but my foot still got wet and they aren't the best for pavement.  

I guess what I really want is a shoe that comfortable with out socks and that will keep out most if not all the snow melt, but also breath well.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

N/m

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
25 replies since Aug. 19 2013, 12:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Barefoot Shoes for winter?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions