2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Questions on a Stratospire 2, ...misting scares me!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
yosemite girl Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 3:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need to upgrade my tent, badly. It is an old Big Agnes something that weighs somewhere around 7 pounds. I never carry it by myself, and split it with my husband, but I think with the tents that are out now it is silly to keep carrying it.

I've been looking at the Stratospire 2, and it looks great. My single hesitation is that we like to do a lot of late spring / early fall camping, and we have been completely nailed by the odd storm more than once. I'm kind of a "rain or shine" backpacker, and I actually really like a little weather.

So I've read a bit about this "misting" problem with silnylon. The advantage to the current elephant I carry is that the thing is really bombproof. Stood up to some serious Yosemite valley hail/late spring storms that went multiple days - and that was the first weekend we tried it! So I like to be "safe" in the event of one of those fun storms.

I was thinking that I may want to invest in a nice big square of cuben fiber tarp and carry that, and if it looked like serious rain, just hang that right over my Tarp Tent with a guyline or two. A cuben fiber tarp like that would probably weigh almost nothing, and might make me worry less on the May/October trips.

Thoughts? Alternatives? Money isn't really an issue, but interior space is. I've looked at some all cuben fiber tents, but I haven't seen anything that compares to the usable floor space of the Stratospire 2.

Think Mr. Shires wants to make me one out of cuben fiber?  :D Probably not possible, the material may not be compatible with the design, but it's a thought!

--------------
...there's just something about him.

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the tarp idea.  I almost always have a tarp with me if the weather's iffy.  A dry place to wait out a storm is always welcome.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could get any size/shape you'd like from here:
http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/tarps.shtml

Others from here:
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop...._id=132

For sustained rain the extra barrier could be useful and as mentioned the extra dry shelter outside the tent is always a nice thing.

I've no idea about sil and misting as I've never owned a tent of that material. My Cuben shelter (MLD Solomid) has been pounded by mid summer Sierra T-storms without any of that. But that wasn't days and days worth just the usual afternoon/evening insanity, with one nighttime downpour thrown in last year.
 Post Number: 4
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out Bear Paw Wilderness Designs....the canopy tents..cuben.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I assume most of it has to do with the humidity level of you area. My Golite Shangri-La 5 is silnylon and I have never had a misting issue, summer or winter.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The SS2 is the only double I used in the last few years , as a solo however.
I purposely taken when I expected  a lot of rain with possibly late afternoon to mid morning stuck inside there.
There is plenty of room for two and I like that I can still get a view even on wind driven rain (I open the other side...)
Misting has not manifested in this one for me but keep in mind that all SS 1/2 have been made with a more waterproof silnylon than the one used before 2012.
If you are still worried , get the "solid" inner.
That is made from breathable water resistant fabric.
I have had the inner of the Scarp 1 in light rain by itself (to test...) for a few hours without penetration.
So the solid inner is more than capable of stopping the possible mist from condensation dislodged from the fly.
(My SS2 has a net inner)
BTW, like all tents and in particular trekking pole supported tents, it is important that you set it up correctly.
If your set up does not look as it does on the web site , it isn't right...
Here is my way :

SS2 set up
franco  @  tarptent
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Franco! That is reassuring. It looks like can order it with both inners, which I think I will do. That way I can just throw both in the car and choose at the beginning of my trip!

I appreciate all of the comments. I've needed a new tent for a few years, but work has kept me off the trail more than I'd like so I just never pulled the trigger. Looks like there have been some good upgrades so I'm glad I waited!

--------------

Something around the eyes...I don't know...reminds me of...me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
 Post Number: 8
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're that worried, spray it with a can of the silicone spray they sell at Walmart for $5.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, in case it isn't all that obvious, the most commonly sold silicone spray is of the lubricant type, to "waterproof" there is another type called Water Guard, Water Repellant and the like.
Still, I really don't think that it is needed.
Often enough when I seam seal a TT shelter it rains overnight.
Haven't had sprays inside for a couple of years...
 Post Number: 10
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I lost my last tarp to a big wind...about 20 years ago.

I've spent a lot of wet nights/days (big blows/snows) in a completely sylnylon tent.  Some minor condensation usually over the ends. Certainly not a deal breaker. The trick always is to vent so that the warm air rises to exit out at highest point(s).  You can't expect to bring in wet clothes to dry out, however.

My biggest problem with a sylnylon floor is that it is slippery.  If an active sleeper you don't stay put.

Check out the venting on any single wall tent you might be interested in.

If lots of rain is expected I carry a square slynylon tarp with a grommet in the center and a few on the sides.  I like to stand up once in awhile.  It's a couple of ounces and  packs down to about the size of a softball in two cupped hands.

My 2 person has a foot print of 60x134" and restricted 41" headroom. for under $600 and 2.75lb.  Sets up in under 5 min with 3 stakes.  Mostly use it as my solo tent now.  For about $700 and a pound more, you can get 60x150x41" unrestricted and doors in back and front.  Weight to floorspace ratio is a nice number.  Otherwise its about the year's cost of a daily cup of cheap coffee.

Warmlite.com

I asked about Cuban Fiber in their tents.  They say they tried it in both sails and tents and the stresses and sewing/stitches didn't work out.  They didn't want to invest in thermal gluing...yet.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 11 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure if you can tell but this photo should explain the bit about having a view when it rains.

The floor is fully protected with the side open.
That night it rained, I still had the tent set up more or less as it is except that I did move my sleeping bag and mat to the other side.
(the ground is sloping there but if you put a wedge (foliage) under it you can even it up. I did...)
The next night we camped at Mt Feathertop, in the AU Victorian Alps . Not very high (about 5500')but I have never managed to have a night up there when it did not rain and or was very  windy apart from when it was snowing...
Now , leaving the tent up like that when it rains  is simply something you cannot do with many tents.
So not an alpine/expedition shelter but if set up correctly (see photo....) it does very well indeed.
[IMG]BTW, if you look at the back of the shelter past the gum trees, you see a nice flat area that is about the size of a football field. In between there is a creek.

A couple of other campers obviously thought that the flat area was ideal, except that it is in fact a bog.
So the next mornig both had a very wet/saturated shelter.
myself and my mate had a great night... (his Moment was a few meters away from my SS2)
Final hint:
You might be able to tell from that photo where the weather comes from (bend in the trees) and that is why I set it up like that there...
 Post Number: 12
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have used tarps and tents of silnylon since ... gosh. I don't remember. That misting thing doesn't turn out to be that much of an issue. When you realize that it is horrible work to get your down gear washed (just try getting it good and wet, it takes forever) a few drops of condensation on the shell isn't going to be an issue.

Not that I have ever experienced "misting" per se. I had really hideous condensation once - in Lyell Canyon, first night out on the JMT south. But, you know what? I had an open tarp suspended eight feet off the ground - I was in a hammock. My friends had a ground-pitched tarp, double wall tents of Sierra Designs, REI and Big Agnes styles, a tarp tent, and one of them had an old Eureka bivy. Every single one of us had condensation, like, mega-wet condensation, both sides of the fly/tarp, all over every single shelter. It's a wet river valley and the night temp was just right. There wasn't even a breeze. We spent a couple of hours drying stuff out the following morning in the sun. There will be conditions where NO shelter will be dry.

Tarptents need to be ventilated - you can't do that trick where you nail down all the edges of the fly in an attempt to be warm. Your pad and bag/quilt are for warmth - ventilate the tent. Don't park it on grass, don't expect perfection if you don't let the air in, and remember that when it's raining, it's humid. Condensation can happen. It isn't necessarily fatal.  

The "misting" thing is overblown, just like the "I can't use a down bag because I'll freeze if it gets wet" is overblown. Be reasonable about how you use gear. There are some who think misting is just condensation being knocked off the material when raindrops hit the other side - that's the closest I've come to "misting" at any point, and somehow, all my stuff, and me, stayed mostly dry. And warm.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 13
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had my Stratospire I for about 2 years, It's been in heavy rain a few times, but I've stayed dry. There was no obvious misting. (Adirondacks, Rockies) It's a real nice design, fairly light, roomy, very quick pitch.
 Post Number: 14
1camper Search for posts by this member.
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Two things about cuben tarps.  True, they are light but they don't pack nearly as small as sil-nylon.  Overlaying a tent with cuben will totally stop rain but will also stop venting which could cause condensation that might be worse than any misting in warm weather.

--------------
"If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy."

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 1:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All good tips, thanks everyone! As far as the tarp goes, I wouldn't overlay so much as pitch it at an angle above the tent itself, into the wind, to deflect driving rain if there was any.

But it sounds like my worries are unfounded! I had a suspicion that the misting thing was overblown, like the "down bag terror" I see so often. I've carried a down back since my first backpacking trip and never had a problem.

Ventilation makes sense to prevent condensation, and I really like the ability to have a view even when it is raining.

I don't have any trips planned this fall (yet) but it sounds like I'll probably go with the Stratospire 2.

I like that Warmlite - maybe that will be 2nd on my list after the Stratospire, when I want to add some weight and some bombproof-ness when I KNOW I'm going out into weather.

--------------

Post Number: 16
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I get a 2p later, the SS2's only competition at the moment would be the very similar SMD Haven, whose design actually led me to Tarptent and my Notch.
They're both 30D silnylon, but the Haven's floor is 4" narrower, and 4" longer. Weight is 8oz less total with net tent(more like 6.5oz less with stakes), and cost is $25 more than the SS2.
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/HavenTarp.html
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/nettents/HavenNetTent.html

The Haven is also made in cuben, allowing you to drop another 8oz for a measly $260 extra(hey, you said money wasn't a problem!).  
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/69-haven-tarp-cuben.html

I'm liking the SS2 for the 4" extra width, but thought I'd throw that out there. If you don't need the inner net, the Haven Tarp by itself is $125 cheaper.

Edit:
btw, when the innernet isn't needed, I use Zpacks' "Solo" cuben floor with my Notch, which brings the total wt. down from 26oz to 19.7oz with stakes. They make a "Twin" version for 2p.
http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/cuben_groundsheet.shtml
 Post Number: 17
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 2:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I too think misting is overblown, at least in my experience.

The black diamond betalite held up to 1 hour of sleet and 2 hours of rain in Yosemite. Days of rain along the rogue river one winter:

Though I haven't had a problem, I think the floor of a sinylon tent might be more of a problem.  If I am worried about it I take my BetaLite, with its BetaBug (traditional floor).

For an unexpected leaky tent, I have  put a ground cloth (with grommets) over my tent.  Some wear on the bottom of the tent, but not a  big deal.

I would only carry an extra tarp for really wet trips, and/or short mileage etc.  

For really sunny hot trips I have thought of taking a space blanket for a ground cloth, and putting it up over the tent to block the sun , if I am  stuck in the tent because of bugs, silnylon does not block the sun too well.

Fire resistance is another issue (non-issue?)
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"the very similar SMD Haven'
Not really...
If you look at the BD Betalight it also looks similar to the SS2 but in the flesh they are nothing like each other.
This drawing might give a better idea :

StratoSpire 2

SMD Haven
 Post Number: 19
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 5:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have spent all this summer in either an SS2 or a Hogback and have seen lots of rain. We have never seen any misting with them.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 20
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Sep. 16 2013, 6:02 pm)
"the very similar SMD Haven'
Not really...

Yeah, really. Take away the SS2's offset pole design, and you've got a Haven.
They're similar in size, shape, weight, materials, purpose and price. They're about as similar as it gets.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"They're about as similar as it gets"

Maybe to you but not to me...

Here is a larger version of the Haven floor plan.

Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, I agree that in purpose (intended use) they are indeed very similar (except that you can sleep 3 inside the SS2)  but so are all two person, pole supported shelters.
My point is that the design is very different.
Again it may not be obvious, to some, in pictures but it would be if you saw them side by side.
 Post Number: 23
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Double Rainbow and have been through nasty storms with accumulated hail to hours of drizzle and have never experienced misting.  I've been nothing but dry through it all.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 24
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarpon6 @ Sep. 17 2013, 7:07 pm)
I have a Double Rainbow and have been through nasty storms with accumulated hail to hours of drizzle and have never experienced misting.  I've been nothing but dry through it all.

I've had misting a couple times in mine, but only during torrential downpours and still not enough to worry about.  I have the optional roof liner, which takes care of it altogether.  Misting isn't enough of an issue for me that I normally pack it.

I'm still somewhat interested in the Stratospire 2. I like the weight of the Notch better, but I'm still torn over the floor space.
 Post Number: 25
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The "mist" is more like a fog, and inconsequential with adequate ventilation.
 Post Number: 26
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 6:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Sep. 17 2013, 7:10 pm)
I'm still somewhat interested in the Stratospire 2. I like the weight of the Notch better, but I'm still torn over the floor space.

The space is something to behold, BL. It is my favorite non-freestanding 3-season tent now. I will write it up soon.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 27
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used tarptents for several years now and I've never experienced misting. I've experienced condensation splattering on me but that it not misting. Silnylon is plenty waterproof unless you are going be be setting up in the middle of a stream or trying to make a boat out of it. A double wall solves the condensation splatter problem. I've had the stratospire 2 for a year now. To second Ray's comment, it is massive inside and still only weights 2.5 pounds. I use it as a luxury solo tent or when the wife comes. You really can't go wrong with it. It is non freestanding so it requires being able to get stakes to hold in the ground, not a problem where I live. I liked it so much I also got the 1 man version.
 Post Number: 28
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Sep. 17 2013, 8:10 pm)

BL If you are considering the Notch, what about the Stratospire 1?

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 29
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarpon6 @ Sep. 18 2013, 1:00 pm)

(big_load @ Sep. 17 2013, 8:10 pm)

BL If you are considering the Notch, what about the Stratospire 1?

Oops, I meant the Stratospire 1.
 Post Number: 30
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Sep. 16 2013, 4:02 pm)
Not really...
If you look at the BD Betalight it also looks similar to the SS2 but in the flesh they are nothing like each other.

Interesting!

Never thought to compare the two, from the pictures the SS2 to me did not look at all like the Betalight, seemed like sort of an awkward shape I could not really visualize.

But studying it, I see now it is sort of like the BetaLight and the GoLight Hex 3 (except  how it orients the floor) with its triangle panels.  It also looks like the SS2 might not use panels of the same size?

I would never have thought of orienting the floor that way, pretty innovative!

=============

How does the rain protection with the door open compare to the Double Rainbow in porch setup?

Can it be setup like the BetLight?  Just stake out the 4 corners, insert poles, stakeout sides, seems allot simpler, no need to hold pole up etc.

While the BetaLight too is more stable with a ridgeline, it is very stable without, or allot of guying out.  But the setup for the SS2 video made me wonder if this is true for it?

(I am not suggesting that the BetaLight is better, the poles in the living space and lack of view and/or venting in the rain makes it much less desirable., esp. for two.  Also the bug net makes it rather heavy (though it was lighter and larger than my Mountain Hardware Thru Hiker), & the space on the sides between the tarp and bug is inaccesable.  I still use it for ski camping (21 to 23 oz or after bug season) or as I did in Yosemite where the weather might be difficult, heavy duty floor, very stable tent. )

I just replaced my old DR with one with zippers so not really in the market for this tent, still interesting. I like that the DR uses its own pole.

Another question, it says to set the   poles to 120 cm (47") but shows the height at 50", is this because you readjust the poles (another 3 inches??)

============
62 replies since Sep. 11 2013, 3:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Questions on a Stratospire 2
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions