2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What belt to wear under pack belt< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bohan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 9:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took a 6 mile urban hike yesterday - a trip to and from the closest supermarket that sells Gardenburgers. I had my new (2004 model) Snugpak Sleeka Force 35 pack with a hard sided cooler that barely fit in it, ice, and, for the walk home, frozen food. My side under the belt hurt for a few minutes in the beginning, and the area under the buckle itched for a few minutes. Even though that particular part of the discomfort went away soon enough, I'm considering changing the belt I wear under the pack. Is there a better choice of belt, or should I not wear any belt under the pack belt? This is the type of belt I wore:

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear the flattest belt with the thinnest buckle I can find.  Currently, that means a 3/4 inch flat web belt, with a small side release nylon buckle.  Anything to keep the buckle and belt from creating irritation spots.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Sep. 16 2013, 9:54 pm)
I wear the flattest belt with the thinnest buckle I can find.  Currently, that means a 3/4 inch flat web belt, with a small side release nylon buckle.  Anything to keep the buckle and belt from creating irritation spots.  

Yep.  As little as possible.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, I'm onto something now...belts with an "ITW G-Hook" like the ATLAS belt are made for this.
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 7:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a Bison Belt or most of my pants have a belt built into them.
 Post Number: 6
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 7:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

suspenders do better job.
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No belt for me - elastic waist most often. I don't like having to wear a belt for the reasons you've already mentioned.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like something frilly...or if I'm in the mood perhaps in a bit of a distressed look that would be complimentary to my boots.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Sep. 16 2013, 8:05 pm)

(ol-zeke @ Sep. 16 2013, 9:54 pm)

Yep.  As little as possible.

+2.  Most my hiking pants come with a little nylon webbing belt and an intentionally thin nylon/plastic buckle that does the job and doesn't bother me at all.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and more of the same.  no belt for the most part; one pair of shorts came with a very low-profile piece of webbing and flat plastic buckle, works fine under a hip belt.
 Post Number: 11
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The pants I've been wearing lately have a built in belt that does irritate me. It all seems to be worse because I'm fat.
 Post Number: 12
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My pack belt and pants belt rarely occupy the same space.  Pack belt is usually higher.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 13
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Sep. 17 2013, 7:00 am)

+1      Bison's seem to last forever and are very thin.......unlike the one's I bumped into in Yellowstone  :O

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Sep. 17 2013, 8:10 am)
No belt for me - elastic waist most often. I don't like having to wear a belt for the reasons you've already mentioned.

I know you're a guy and all so they probably wouldn't work for me anyway, but what pants do you have that have elastic waists?  I would love a pair of hiking pants with an all-elastic waist, and can't seem to find any.

As for the OP, yeah, the flattest belt you can find, with the  least buckle.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 6:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Sep. 17 2013, 10:53 pm)

I know you're a guy and all so they probably wouldn't work for me anyway, but what pants do you have that have elastic waists?  I would love a pair of hiking pants with an all-elastic waist, and can't seem to find any.

I also favor elastic waist bands for wearing under a climbing harness as well as backpacking.

My favorite shorts are the Prana Mojos which have a completely flat waistband.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't get me started on elastic waists. They're always tighter than I want them. For walking with stuff in the pockets, there's no way around that with elastic. They're too insecure and too tight at the same time. For sleeping, when I get a new pair of elastic-waist  boxers or lounge pants, I cut the stitching along a 6" section of the waist to remove the gathers and expose the elastic, then I cut the elastic and flatten the material that had the gathers and sew it together again so the waist is just barely tight enough to keep them on.
 Post Number: 17
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Sep. 17 2013, 7:53 pm)

In summer these days, most often you'll find me in a pair of basketball shorts (that go down below the knees). I also decided to "convert" a pair of khaki shorts that are "dress shorts" into backpacking shorts. Nothing is off-limits in my world of dress for backpacking. In winter, I use a thin pair of synthetic long underwear with elastic banded Gore-Tex military rainshell pants over the top.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 18
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Sep. 17 2013, 7:00 am)

Another vote for Bison belts.  I find them pretty darn practical.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Sep. 17 2013, 10:53 pm)
 I would love a pair of hiking pants with an all-elastic waist, and can't seem to find any.

I think Eddie Bauer carries that kind of pant and belt in a women's style.  Might be worth checking them out.  My Eddie Bauer convertible pants have the built in belt and flat plastic buckle and they've been great.  When not wearing them, I use a Bison belt.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Sep. 18 2013, 12:37 pm)
In summer these days, most often you'll find me in a pair of basketball shorts (that go down below the knees). I also decided to "convert" a pair of khaki shorts that are "dress shorts" into backpacking shorts. Nothing is off-limits in my world of dress for backpacking. In winter, I use a thin pair of synthetic long underwear with elastic banded Gore-Tex military rainshell pants over the top.

Tigger, no need to brag about being a fashion icon. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 21
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 17 2013, 5:38 pm)
My pack belt and pants belt rarely occupy the same space.  Pack belt is usually higher.

Same for me, though my pack belt is wide and tends to push into the top of my belt buckle sometimes, pushing it down into my increasingly soft belly. There's actually something to be said about not being too thin around that part - helps absorb some of that pressure. But too much certainly  makes it harder to properly secure the pack belt.
 Post Number: 22
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 5:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a Patagonia "friction belt"-think that's what it's called. Very low profile, and cheap. I dislike belts, but it helps keep my pants from getting pushed down in the back when I straighten up from bending over with a pack on.
 Post Number: 23
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bison belt fan here, but I have a Karu that is very stiff with a unique flat buckle that is a close second. Third choice is the belt I stripped out of a pair of MH Canyon pants that I shredded in July.

I have a Patagonia friction belt that never mustered enough gription-friction for active packing but is OK office wear.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
22 replies since Sep. 16 2013, 9:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What belt to wear under pack belt
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions