2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Garmin Oregon 450 on sale $150 free shipping< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 7:10 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cabela's has the garmin Oregon 450 on sale for $150 with free shipping (chose standard shipping to get the free shipping, no coupon code needed.)

http://www.cabelas.com/product....j551655

But the price worries me - is it an error or is there something wrong with these units.  Even Amazon wants over $200 for them.  

I have a Etrex HC, a Vista Hcx, and a GPSMap 62s, so the last thing I need is another gps, but I for that price I can't resist giving it a try - Cabela's has a 60-day return policy on electronics.  Perhaps I'll like it enough to sell the other gps units I have.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 8:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ordered it on Tuesday with free standard shipping and it arrived Friday afternoon.

The Oregon has the same features as the GPSmap 62s, except the Oregon has a larger screen with higher resolution, and the Oregon has the touch screen interface.  It is smaller than the GPSMap 62 because it lacks buttons and doesn't have a passive antenna sticking out like the GPSMap 62s.

I'm going on an exploratory hike tomorrow so I'll have a chance to test them side by side in the field.
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ng, I'm in the market for my first "walking" GPS. I've used them in cars and boats, but never on foot. When you write your review, I'd appreciate your insights into whether this is User friendly for a newb.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Sep. 21 2013, 8:14 am)
Ng, I'm in the market for my first "walking" GPS. I've used them in cars and boats, but never on foot. When you write your review, I'd appreciate your insights into whether this is User friendly for a newb.

That will probably be impossible for me because I've become so familiar with the existing Garmin handheld interface that it is second nature to me, but I remember how frustrating it was moving from the Etrex interface to the GPSMap interface.

The Oregon is easier to learn than the GPSMap 62 because there are not multiple function buttons - everything is done on the screen and there are usually only two screen options - go back or go forward.  but the features and selections are the same.

I use only a small subset of the features so I have avoid a lot of the complexity.

First, I use the gps to help me stay on a planned track, especially an off-trail track, by downloading a custom map to the unit with the planned track and other info on it.  The gps shows me my location in relation to the info on the custom map, and that can easily be transferred to my paper map.

Second, I use it to mark waypoints of things I discover in the woods.

Third, I use it to record my track for future reference and a post-hike writeup and trail guide.

Recently I had a fourth use.  I was put on celebrex for advancing arthritis in my hips and knees.  When the dosage was doubled to 400 mg I it seemed like my heart rate was elevated while exercising when I checked it.  My doctor asked me to record my heart rate over the entire course of a hike, which would have been a real pain to stop, take, then record it.  

I bought a heart rate strap for the garmin  gpsmap 62s (it wll also work the Oregon).  It recorded my heart rate along with the track, which I was able to download to a csv file and then put into a graph in Excel for my doctor.
 Post Number: 5
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang that's a good price....and is tempting...

Like you I'm GPS poor but I'm of the opinion GPS's are like sleeping bags.....

A fellow can't have to many...

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Oregon and the GPSMap 62s had nearly identical track recording performance in both open and treed areas.

I would say there is no practical difference between the tracks thy recorded.

The Oregon works a bit differently because you have to go through the general set up menu to make a setup change.  With the GPSMap 62s you can usually go directly to the setup function for any feature by pressing the menu button.

But other than that, if someone was considering buying a gps I'd advise them to get the Oregon 450 at the $150 price rather than pay almost twice as much for GPSMap 62s.
 Post Number: 7
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

NG,

I sold a 60 csx a couple years ago to someone here on these forums as I started using my droid with Backcountry Pro.

have you used that set up and if so how would you rate it compared to the Oregon?

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 8
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How does the battery life compare with the larger touch screen?
 Post Number: 9
Mountain Dog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used the Xtrax Legend for years.  The only map that could be downloaded was a Garmin map from MapQuest.  I do not like Garmin's map.  What maps can be used with the Oregon 450?  I ordered one because my old Garmin is acting up and when a GPS is needed it better work.  I sure would like to have something more compatible with Forest Service or Nat'l Geo. maps.

--------------
If you faint in the face of adversity then your strength is indeed small.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This site has maps for it:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/search/garmincustom/

Garmin tells you how to make your own:

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps#fragment-2

I don't know if you can use the other garmiin maps on gpsfiledepot for this device, I thought not, but it isn't that clear on the site.  Also note some don't work on a Mac etc.
 Post Number: 11
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have owned one of these for a few years.  Bought mine when $250 was the best price you found for years.  The price drop is occurring because Garmin has released a couple of new-generation Oregons with more sensitive touchscreens and a few other updates, as well as other high end models (like the Android-based Monterra).

It's been a super reliable workhorse for me.  The bigger, higher res screen is more power hungry, but really only gives you a penalty of maybe a couple hours in loss of battery life at most.  Put it in power save, and the screen turns off completely, though it continues running.

You can use any of the maps at GPSFiledepot.com on the Oregon.  I have the Indiana Topo and the MyTrails maps loaded onto mine.  MyTrails doesn't have everything, but it's got most of the trails I use.  If I want satellite images on it, I use Topofusion to load imagery.  The process is a little easier with that program than with other options.  It has good data management functionality, and it can display multiple files (and multiple file types) at the same time.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Sep. 24 2013, 9:31 am)
 The bigger, higher res screen is more power hungry, but really only gives you a penalty of maybe a couple hours in loss of battery life at most.  Put it in power save, and the screen turns off completely, though it continues running.

I am sure you know more about these than I, the VISTA HCx is the only one I have owned.  If I have tracking on and the compass off I am luckily if it makes thru one hike, at least on regular batteries.

Garmin says this model has a battery life of 16 hours compared to 25 of another model?

It shows 25 hours for my model:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US....03.html
 Post Number: 13
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I owned one of these for a while, returned it because I wasn't getting much out of having a GPS device in general. When I was using it I found I could load any .gpx map to it. Battery life was short IME.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get about 20 hours on my vista and GPSMap 62s if I use lithium batteries.  But, I've  found that for my weekly day hikes it is cheaper to use rechargables that give me only about 12 hours, then replace them every hike so they are fresh.
 Post Number: 15
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dayhiker9 @ Sep. 24 2013, 2:45 pm)

(wildlifenate @ Sep. 24 2013, 9:31 am)
 The bigger, higher res screen is more power hungry, but really only gives you a penalty of maybe a couple hours in loss of battery life at most.  Put it in power save, and the screen turns off completely, though it continues running.

I am sure you know more about these than I, the VISTA HCx is the only one I have owned.  If I have tracking on and the compass off I am luckily if it makes thru one hike, at least on regular batteries.

Garmin says this model has a battery life of 16 hours compared to 25 of another model?

It shows 25 hours for my model:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US....03.html

Frankly, I've never left mine on for that long at once.  I use Sanyo Eneloop low self-discharge NIMH rechargeables.  If I'm going out for a day hike, I MIGHT leave it on the whole time tracking.  Sometimes I don't and the GPS is only there "just in case" if I carry it at all.

If I'm going out for a multiday trip, I am wiser about my battery use.  Rarely have I needed to swap batteries mid-trip because of the way I use it.  I still carry spares, though.

And when I said it's only a loss of a couple hours of battery life for the more power hungry higher res touchscreen, I was comparing to nogods' GPSMap 62, not to the etrex models, which have always had battery life in the mid-20's of hours.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As of now, I regret buying the 450.  I've got to download manuals just to figure out how to use some of the most basic functions.  Also, it does not have any topo maps installed.  I hope the manual will explain how to download maps and that I will understand what the referenced links above are trying to tell me.  The unit itself looks good and has clear screens.  It is just of no value straight out of the box.  I guess I was expecting too much.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't you load the maps you were using on the Legend?

Also being able to scan in your favorite paper maps is a big bonus to me.

I bet you could sell it for what you paid on eBay, esp.  if you don't use it.

My GPS is still working etc. so not as tempted. esp. if touch screen isn't response.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't you load the maps you were using on the Legend?  Don't know.  The Legend already had maps loaded when I purchased it.  At that time, the Garmin maps were developed by the British and I did not like them.  Therefore I never tried to load any additional Garmin maps.  Still, they sufficed for what I was doing at the time, but not now.

Also being able to scan in your favorite paper maps is a big bonus to me. I agree if I can  figure out how to do it.  I'm having some computer problems now, thanks to a sweet virus, so I have not downloaded a manual from the GPS.  My problem is that I like to hike, not to sit in front of a computer trying to become proficient in computer technical stuff.  On the other end are techy people that think everyone should love figuring out the technical end.  I like the looks and the touch screen capabilities of the Oregon.  I'll probably figure it out this winter when there is nothing else to do.  

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought someone who knows more than me might respond.  But since they haven't . . .

One thing if you don't like the Garmin maps (and I don't know if they have changed) is to sell this unit and buy a Delormne, I have thought about doing that but not worth the money to me so far.  I don't know how easy it is to navigate and I don't think it uses a touch screen.

I don't own the more detailed Garmin topo maps , just TOPO USA (100k? can't find right now)

So far I have only downloaded the Oregon State map from

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/search/garmincustom/

And noticed it does not have trails on it!  It is one of few for Oregon that is recommended by the editors.    It also does not scale (when you zoom out).
So I would not want to rely on those for everything.

On the other hand if you think you will scan in allot of maps then maybe stick with the Garmin.  Custom maps that have been enhanced beyond USGS is the way to go.  But you can usually put Waypoints on your GPS that will tell you where you are on your custom paper map anyway.

====

I am guessing here, but the maps on your Legend might be on a card you could simply remove and insert into the 450?  It sounds like your maps are also on MapSource?  So you might be able to download them to your 450 as well (might need to buy a card for it)  Of course not that important since u don't like them anyway?  Your 450 might want to use BaseCamp etc.  I have had problems since I use a MAC now for internet, and PC is where I have MapSource and Natl Geo TOPO maps.  I put Base Camp on the Mac, but it won't download maps to my GPS. I also put Natl GEo on the Mac, but like the PC version better.

Good Luck
 Post Number: 20
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 9:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know much about GPS units but my wife bought me an Oregon 450t last Christmas. I really struggled figuring out how to really use it but eventually found a topo of the northeast for free and got it loaded for my last trip into the adirondacks. It was nice to have, especially after sundown.

I was surprised with the battery life. I set it to power saver and had the backlight off (except after dark I turned it on medium). I normally use eneloops, but for light weight I bought energizer ultimate lithiums for this trip. I'd have to pull it up for the specifics, but a pair of the E91's almost lasted all 3 days (and are nearly half the weight)! The low bat indication went off half way through day 3 - it might have been able to make it but I had the extra set anyhow and really wanted to make sure I captured the whole trip so I changed em day 3. But that had to have been like 30 hours.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 21
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Correction I meant to say I use L91's (energizer ultimate lithium) not E91's (typo) if weight and space is a concern.

Just looked up my trip data. I didnt head out as early as I was thinking, so didnt want to mislead anyone, so thought I'd post up the real times and not just guesses. Checking the first and last timestamps for each day with the 450t, day 1 was 9:37, day 2 was 9:27, day 3 was 6:30. I'm not sure when the batteries were swapped on day three, but it was somewhere in the middle of the day. So 19hrs+3 so ~22hrs until low bat warning +/- a couple hrs, and not sure how much longer it would have lasted after that.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
20 replies since Sep. 18 2013, 7:10 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Garmin Oregon 450 on sale $150 free shipping
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions