2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pump filter v Sawyer v Steripen v Chemical< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 1:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I filter and boil water for drinking. It's getting old.

So, of the above, which?

I hike the Catskills, Harriman, Sterling, ADK (when I get the chance.) I'm a three-season backpacker (no summers). I'd like to be able to filter from stagnant pools, slow-running streams, and lakes. I don't expect to have to squeeze mud or collect dew; these places have common access to water of questionable potability. It's making it unquestionable to which I seek a solution.

My pre-food and water pack is at 21 lbs, so I'm apparently not a weight weenie. But I did get it down from 30, so I'm working on it.

I'm a budget backpacker, so cost is at issue.

I'm leaning toward the Sawyer. Are they vulnerable to failure if frozen, as well?

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You don't want to let them freeze, but Sawyer would be my choice for that area.  I use an equivalent gravity filter under those conditions.
 Post Number: 3
geargirl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Though I have always been a big fan of hand pump filters, i recently started doing some research because I am going on a backpacking/ camping trip in Central America for 3 months and want something more versatile, for use while I'm staying at hostels and don't want to constantly have to buy bottled water as well as when i'm camping for long periods of time.

It seems the latest rave regarding filters are the UV light purification filters. There are several different kinds, but they are supposed to kill 99.9 percent of bacteria, viruses, and protozoa, and they are fast, and require a lot less effort than a hand pump.

This is the purifier i just bought:

STERIPEN SIDEWINDER BATTERY-FREE UV WATER PURIFIER

It purifies a liter of water in 90 seconds, and is supposed to be good for up to 8,000 uses. It's a little more expensive than the Sawyer-SP131 but still in the $60 range. You will get more usage and be able to use the Steripen for a lot of purposes.

I just took mine on a backpackpacking trip in Olymic National Park  and am really happy with my purchase.
 Post Number: 4
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Had a Explorer filter, worked adequately.  Used a Steripen for a bit,  always questioned it.  Have used Polarpure and now Micropur tabs, simple to use and efficient.
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 7:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anything that has a cartridge type filter is prone to failure due to freezing. With a steripen with cold weather you need to worry about battery life.
 Post Number: 6
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A new smaller Sawyer will be out and that is my first choice in areas that the water tends to be dirty.  See Chad Poindexters review on youtube.   In places where I have a lot of cool mountain clear running streams and creeks I just use either AquaMira drops or Clorox.  

In places I'm not familiar with I take drops and use my buddies Sawyer if the water is real bad.
 Post Number: 7
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Filter, if night temps drop too much stick it in the footbox of the sleeping bag. NBD.

Chemicals are ok if chlorine dioxide. Chlorine bleach does not work well and there are no "recommended dosages" to go by - that and anything electronic are too much of a gamble to me.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 8
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Sep. 19 2013, 7:35 pm)
A new smaller Sawyer will be out

+1 I'm holding out for this.
 Post Number: 9
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Sep. 19 2013, 9:19 pm)
Filter, if night temps drop too much stick it in the footbox of the sleeping bag. NBD.

+1

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 10
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 11:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I asked Sawyer , they just said to replace it as they could not say if it would be damaged or not.  It actually froze in my cabin, but I did not heat it so I should have expected it.

I also asked Cascade, since the bottle it was in had some frozen water on another trip , they said to perform this test.

I use the Sawyer water bottle filter and convert it to a gravity filter when in camp so I can have mixed drinks.  The platypus graviity filter looks to be the same filter except for some padding on the ends.  I forget now why it did not work so well in my water bottle, or maybe it was with another bag as a gravity filter.  I also got the Sawyer squeeze,  but haven't really tried it.  It would work in camp instead of gravity filter, and on the trail if the other one failed.  The filter weight would be offset more or less by not having to take the bags for the gravity filter?

Before that I used the Katydn water bottle filter.  I could unscrew the cap as I approached a stream, dip, screw the cap on, and go before the bugs gathered , and I carry less water since I don't have to stop to setup a pump or wait for chemicals to work.  On a rogue river hike the water was so plentiful, I actual threw out any water I did not drink right away.

But I am not sure about water in NE etc.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 11
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(geargirl @ Sep. 19 2013, 6:17 pm)
Though I have always been a big fan of hand pump filters, i recently started doing some research because I am going on a backpacking/ camping trip in Central America for 3 months and want something more versatile, for use while I'm staying at hostels and don't want to constantly have to buy bottled water as well as when i'm camping for long periods of time.

It seems the latest rave regarding filters are the UV light purification filters. There are several different kinds, but they are supposed to kill 99.9 percent of bacteria, viruses, and protozoa, and they are fast, and require a lot less effort than a hand pump.

This is the purifier i just bought:

STERIPEN SIDEWINDER BATTERY-FREE UV WATER PURIFIER

It purifies a liter of water in 90 seconds, and is supposed to be good for up to 8,000 uses. It's a little more expensive than the Sawyer-SP131 but still in the $60 range. You will get more usage and be able to use the Steripen for a lot of purposes.

I just took mine on a backpackpacking trip in Olymic National Park  and am really happy with my purchase.

I've used a Steripen with great success in Central America and Mexico in water that, at times, repelled me to even look at.
I carry tablets or drops as a backup but have rarely had to use them.

For backpacking in the states, if just one or two hikers, a Steripen is still a good option, especially if the water is relatively clear.  More folks to hydrate, I use a gravity filter or a pump filter.  And of those two, I prefer the gravity filter.

I still carry tablets or drops in my emergency kit.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
JeanneMarie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After using the pump style, a Steripen, and a Sawyer I have settled on the Sawyer as being the more realiable.

On the trail, I put the Sawyer in a gallon zip lock bag and store it the foot end of my sleeping bag to prevent it from freezing.

The back flushing of the Sawyer can be messy, so I added a prefilter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqYW1vH9eOY). With the prefilter in place, on trips, I just remove the prefilter and rinse the prefilter in a stream.  

I've not had to back flush the Sawyer, with the prefilter in place for an entire summer of weekend and week long trips.
 Post Number: 13
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sawyer believer here. I was hesitant to switch from my hiker pro..but glad I did. I hike in the same places you do and thus far the sawyer is a great option. As with any type filter..don't let it freeze!! The new sawyer mini is out for sale..hikelight has it as does GG. I am sure others will have it by now also. I use a nalgene wide mouth soft canteen with a special cap which attaches to the sawyer filter..makes it simple to scoop water. Then I filter it into soft platys.  It's  lightweight and simple and takes up no space in my pack.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gossamer Gear has the new mini Sawyer for sale for $19.99!! Cant beat that for a budget and a sweet lightweight filter..2 ounces. Why not give it a try?

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 15
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Sep. 20 2013, 11:01 am)
Gossamer Gear has the new mini Sawyer for sale for $19.99!! Cant beat that for a budget and a sweet lightweight filter..2 ounces. Why not give it a try?

Already out of stock. That was fast.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(liv4mtns @ Sep. 20 2013, 1:29 pm)

(GottaGamble @ Sep. 20 2013, 11:01 am)

Already out of stock. That was fast.

uhhh..wow!! I got the email this morning from them, I ordered it this morning..good thing. You can try hikelight.com, I know they had them for $24.95..

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 5:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went with the Sawyer. Not the mini but the point one. $40 after tax and shipping. Thanks, guys.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good choice. Enjoy it, you will like it

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 19
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

my mainstay for years has been the MSR Sweetwater pump filter. I've found it easy to use, and easy to clean. Only had trouble with it once when a connector broke in the middle of a  trip. It was 10 years old, and MSR replaced it for free.
I like using it because I can fill my bladder without removing it from my pack, but it is heavy.

This summer I tried the Sawyer with a connector to my bladder. It worked, but I really found it to be more trouble than using the pump. Maybe because I've used the pump for so long.
I also have used Aqua Mira liquid. That's certainly the lightest option, but a hassle to use with my bladder in my pack.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Understandable. I recently ditched my bladder. Never thought I would because I liked useing it. Where I usually hike there is an abundance of water so it really was just extra weight on my back. I use a smart water bottle and just fill it as needed and I also carry 1 or 2 empty soft platy bottles then I can fill if I will need to carry extra water or need it at camp for the night.

--------------

author unknown
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(3pinner @ Sep. 21 2013, 8:24 pm)
my mainstay for years has been the MSR Sweetwater pump filter. I've found it easy to use, and easy to clean. Only had trouble with it once when a connector broke in the middle of a  trip. It was 10 years old, and MSR replaced it for free.
I like using it because I can fill my bladder without removing it from my pack, but it is heavy.

This summer I tried the Sawyer with a connector to my bladder. It worked, but I really found it to be more trouble than using the pump. Maybe because I've used the pump for so long.
I also have used Aqua Mira liquid. That's certainly the lightest option, but a hassle to use with my bladder in my pack.

I'd gone back and forth over a pump. As Gotta mentioned, where we are, there's plenty of water. Mostly that's what it'll be for - water for after the first day.

--------------
 Post Number: 22
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Second the MSR Sweetwater.  Way too easy to use.  Instantly produces clean, tasty water from any source I've been near.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 23
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Sep. 19 2013, 12:28 pm)
I'd like to be able to filter from stagnant pools, slow-running streams, and lakes.

Here in MN my sources sound much like yours now. You know that I own them all, but I would choose either the Hiker Pro (or big brother Vario) for the charcoal element or as I am doing now, using a Platypus GravityWorks 2.0 L with a Carbon Element in-line. Here is a shot from a trip with the kids last month.

While I love hollow fiber technology it does absolutely nothing for the taste of water, so if you have to take it from a beaver pond in fall (when water levels are low) you will be tasting beaver poop...

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GottaGamble @ Sep. 22 2013, 9:56 am)
Understandable. I recently ditched my bladder. Never thought I would because I liked useing it. Where I usually hike there is an abundance of water so it really was just extra weight on my back. I use a smart water bottle and just fill it as needed and I also carry 1 or 2 empty soft platy bottles then I can fill if I will need to carry extra water or need it at camp for the night.

That's what I used to do before getting a bladder. I'm seriously considering going back to that system, because I find I have a  tendency to fill the 3L bag up and end up carrying a lot more weight than I want to.
It's nice that it's buried in the pack, and doesn't need to come out, but I really never know how much is in there unless I drink it dry, then refill.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After my last post I found this:
http://vapur.us/outdoor/microfilter

I might look at one of these tomorrow. filter and bottle combined at 2.7 oz.?
I just wonder if you can back flush it.
 Post Number: 26
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used a pump filter for years. But as I have trimmed ounces over the years, I have really become a believer in AquaMira. Admittedly, I haven't hiked in the Third World, or had to use stagnant, really yucky water, but at least in the clear water high country of the West, I love the 2 oz, weight, have never gotten sick from any treated water, and especially love the lack of chemical aftertaste.
I do still haul out my old Pur pump filter when with youth groups, both because gallons of water must sometimes be treated in a day, and for some reason, Scouts like to pump water almost as much as they like to light fires.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

recieved my sawyer mini yesterday. I havent had time to test it out or weigh it yet, but I did remove it from the box and man, it is mini, no joke! I put it side by side with the regular sawyer and I gulped and gasped at the size difference. It was like comparing an original cell phone back in the day to a newer one of today!!! What a nice difference this is gonna be. I also like that it came with a straw, which I would use in an emergency if I had to suck water from a small puddle that I could not scoop water out of. That was always a main concern for me going to sawyer squeeze from my hiker Pro..a small murky puddle that I would not be able to scoop water out of and bag for the squeeze. Problem solved for me now...

--------------

author unknown
26 replies since Sep. 19 2013, 1:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pump filter v Sawyer v Steripen v Chemical
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions