2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: floating bathtub tent floor< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 5:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What do you all think of these tarp style tents that have a floating floor like the 6 Moons design style?  I have heard complaints that they move around too much and bunch up in places.  I am rethinking my next tent purchase because of this issue.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never had a problem with the floor of my Contrail.
 Post Number: 3
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ever tried throwing darts at the balloons at a carnival stand ?
The reason why they are hard to burst is because the darts are a bit blunt and  balloons are not fully inflated.
Works the same for your tent floor.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it is between the 6 moons lunar and the zpacks hexanet/Solo plus.  The hexanet does stake down the bathtub bottom where the lunar does not.  

Big_load it does appear that the Contrail guides the floor out to the tarp that prevents movement.  Is that correct?

Franco I get the balloon thing but not sure how that relates to the bathtub bottom bunching up and being a pain while you are in it.
 Post Number: 5
MikeyLXT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Lunar Duo.  I use a thin painters tarp under my tent and it does slide some.  I would imagine that if i skipped that tarp it would have very minimal sliding.

However after a recent backpacking trip in Glacier Peak Wilderness where it rained every night I can tell you I stayed 100% dry inside.  Even when i got some water pooling up on the outside of the bathtub floor.  After this trip I don't think I would ever buy a tent without a bathtub style floor.

Praise be the Lunar Duo

Post Number: 6
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My failed analogy was meant to illustrate how a loose floor is harder to puncture than a taut one.
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Sep. 20 2013, 7:24 pm)
Big_load it does appear that the Contrail guides the floor out to the tarp that prevents movement.  Is that correct?

Yes, it is.  Those lines can be tensioned independently from the rest of the structure, so you can set them however you like.  

Until your post, I've never heard of anyone not liking how the floor behaves.  I've never noticed movement myself.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MikeyLTX thanks for that info.  I have not had a tent in the last several years that has not had a bathtub bottom so I know what you mean.  I have had water an inch up the sides of my Big Anges Copper Spur and stayed perfectly dry.  However this will be my first tent that does not stake down the tub directly and have read some complaints about that in the past.  Again thanks for that feed back.

Franco I get it now.  It makes perfect sense.  From what I understand the cuben fiber is very prone to getting holes due to abrasion.  So moving around on a rock might not be a good thing for a cuben fiber bottom.  I think if I spend that much on a tarp/tent I will make a tyvek ground cloth.  Why can't we have the weight of cuben fiber but the strength of the silnylon?  :)   I've put my Copper Spur on all kinds of crap and not had any issues.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Sep. 20 2013, 10:31 pm)

(charadeur @ Sep. 20 2013, 7:24 pm)

Yes, it is.  Those lines can be tensioned independently from the rest of the structure, so you can set them however you like.  

Until your post, I've never heard of anyone not liking how the floor behaves.  I've never noticed movement myself.

I guess to be specific I have heard it about the 6 moons.  But that was just one or two people who had that issue so I'm kind of fishing for how big a problem it really is.
 Post Number: 10
edkras1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have any problems with the floor on my Lunar Solo as long as the ground is fairly level. That is always the goal anyway, so it rarely is a problem.
 Post Number: 11
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The issues I have with my SMD Skyscape are about condensation and being marginally weatherproof. The floor bunching up is not an issue at all and I don't know that I'd notice if it happened.
 Post Number: 12
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 4:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Lunar Solo. The floor is connected to the stake-out points with bungee cords to let the floor float around. I set it up on the lawn in my backyard, which is a little sloped. I had a tyvek ground sheet under the floor, which makes a slippery combo. When I got in, the floor started sliding downhill until one of the bungee cords became taught and then popped loose from the stake-out point end.

It turned out that there was no damage; the bungee cord had just come untied. I looked at the knot on another of the bungee cords and duplicated it when reattaching the undone one. I think the knot is designed to slip like that to avoid damage.

Anyway, I haven't had any trouble on level ground. I also put some beads of silicone on the tyvek ground sheet to try to make it less slippery against the floor.

---George
11 replies since Sep. 20 2013, 5:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply floating bathtub tent floor
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions