2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: Do you use 'gear' in daily life? :: Total Votes:44
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Almost every day 16  [36.36%]
Frequently 15  [34.09%]
Sometimes 8  [18.18%]
Seldom 4  [9.09%]
Everything stays packed 1  [2.27%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Do you use 'gear' in daily life?, Clothes, illumination, accessories...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 7:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use my headlamp a couple of times a week, as well as my daypack for shopping. I wear my hiking clothes almost exclusively -- I don't even bother with the distinction, except for purpose-built gear like gaiters.

So, do you guys go 'backpacker-chic'? Or does your gear stay home?

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Similar--I walk to work, or sometimes ride a moped--either way, my raingear gets carried (including pants when on the moped).

When a headlamp gets replaced, it goes into the garage or in the tool drawer in the kitchen.

I wear my hiking boots to/from work in the winter.

All clothes get worn in regular life except the nylon convertible pants.

The puffy I carry BPing all summer becomes my every-day winter coat.

Of course there are several things that just don't have applications in everyday life: BPing stove, ice axe, trekking poles, big backpack etc.
 Post Number: 3
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Same here. I use mostly everything. A lot of gear I have double and triple of. I have a daypack that I use for commuting to the city everyday. I keep it packed with all my emergency things, should I need to get home to my family in an emergency and the trains are not running...it is 60 miles. I use a headlamp for my early morning bike ride to train station.   Clothes I wear mostly everyday, including base layers and shells. I keep a pair of trail runners exclusively for Backpacking but I also have a pair that I wear everyday.

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 4
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

my precip jacket is my rain jacket, the fleeces are my cold weather wear at all times.

my hiking boots are hunting boots, and winter boots

my day pack is my  "Dad pack" that goes from the shooting range, hunting, to soccer games and zoo trips

my hiking pants are also the soccer coach pants, as is my base layers and hiking t shirts

some gear is back packing only (tents usually, larger packs etc) some is disaster/emergency use as well (stoves/water filters/first aid kit), but most of the clothing and a lot of the utility items are frequent/constant use items
 Post Number: 5
spac3man Search for posts by this member.
Appalachian

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Frequently use much of my stuff.

I BBQ all year round with my headlamp; by turning it upside down and wearing it around the neck, you can easier keep the focal point in one place.

--------------
Sláinte
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used my crampons a few times to get to the mailbox, my snowshoes, my gaitors to scrap the sidewalk of snow, my winter layers on stormy days, my headlamps during power outages or when I need to work under the house, and such. When we go family camping, often I will bring stoves, headlamps, shelters and all sorts of goodies. Some of my Smartwool socks get pulled out for pretty much the entire winter.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last winter the heater broke. Don't let anyone tell you California is sunny and warm all year... i used my down gear on my bed and to wear around the house every day.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 8
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The stuff is so damn expensive and too damn good for me to have sit in the closet! So yea, most of my clothing (especially outer wear) gets used on a regular basis.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guess I'm a little different. (actually, I've been told that on a number of occasions). The vast majority of my hiking gear and clothes are used only for  that.  I have plenty of other stuff for around town.  Often it's older gear that has been replaced.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like we're getting hard up for topics. What happened to the days when there were constant raging debates in this forum? TNB is gone but not forgotten, Ray Estrella rarely seen. Too quiet here.

Things I use at home:

Daypack: have carried one for the last 40 years
Headlamp: always in my daypack for getting from car to house at night
White gas stove: during power outages
Hiking boots and poles: for daily exercise walking
Sleeping bag (down): use it daily but I shouldn't because it gets dirty and has to be washed.
Tent: set it up in the house for fun.
Cot, inflatable mattress: have slept on them for the last 3 weeks due to a roof leak.
Swiss Army knife: constant companion
 Post Number: 11
dayhiker9 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My rain hat is an exception.  Also wool beanie type hat, though not really needed in Portland.

Old wool socks and rain jackets see city use after they are retired.

I have bought hiking pants for city use, but haven't actually used them for the city.

Also I have several Pendleton shirts, and they can all be used for city or hiking.

Some other stuff might be used when traveling for dual purpose/backup etc.

--------------
" before you make assertions about numbers, look at the numbers."   Krugman
 Post Number: 12
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 24 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many of my hiking toys from 10-15 years ago are now "repurposed" as better stuff has come along, ... some as carcamping gear, some for emergencies if the power goes out (snow knocked the power off in one neighborhood I lived in for 2 weeks).  Most of my stuff just wears out though.  

My current "ultralight" stuff isn't designed to go the distance but I'll probably eBay it when new recyclable gear comes out (Patagonia is putting out some real climbing oriented packs in 2014, ... how long before trail running packs that can be modified?)

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 13
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 1:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I buy so much gear that I could leave a dozen backpacks equipped for different trips and still have plenty to wear around town.  My favorite 8000M parka gets used in the winter along with some boots but that's about it for pieces that serve double duty.
 Post Number: 14
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 6:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boots every day
Rain gear carried along
Headlamp gets almost daily use
Daypack every day

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 15
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 7:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently got pretty lucky --  STP had a sale, and I'd gotten a 40% email from them. I love my hiking pants, but they are kind of, well, 'gear' looking. They had some Royal Robbins traveler pants. They look just like khakis, but are made of SPF 40, water repellent nylon. Three pair, $65. And a pair of their billygoat nylon pants -- I could wear these snowshoeing (gusseted crotch; layered, structured, articulated knees) $25. I could wear them to the office, too.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 16
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Sep. 25 2013, 7:09 am)
I recently got pretty lucky --  STP had a sale, and I'd gotten a 40% email from them. I love my hiking pants, but they are kind of, well, 'gear' looking. They had some Royal Robbins traveler pants. They look just like khakis, but are made of SPF 40, water repellent nylon. Three pair, $65. And a pair of their billygoat nylon pants -- I could wear these snowshoeing (gusseted crotch; layered, structured, articulated knees) $25. I could wear them to the office, too.

Why couldnt you have mentioned this BEFORE they ran out of reasonable sizes?!?!?
 Post Number: 17
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Sep. 24 2013, 8:33 pm)
Looks like we're getting hard up for topics. What happened to the days when there were constant raging debates in this forum?

Well, it's like you alluded to, that's what happens when folks like the Prosecutor, TNB and others leave or are forced to.  Not to worry though, we still have Jimmy C.  And there's always guns to discuss.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 18
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't know if this really counts, but every pair of socks I wear are hiking socks. I have chemo-induced neuropathy in both feet, and the softness and warmth of well padded hiking socks makes a noticeable comfort difference.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 19
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I frequently use outdoor clothing for normal wear especially during the winter months. Other than the clothing I really don't use much like gear wise.
 Post Number: 20
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Headlamp and rain gear, whenever I need to see something small or obscure and whenever I need to stay dry.

Headlamps are one of the greatest things ever for those of us getting old and feeble, plus able to focus on exactly what I am trying to see to find it or to get a tool on it, etc.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 21
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear hiking boots everyday to work

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22
Adirondackiteer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My headlamp I hike with is pretty much an EDC light - I have it with me at all times as an 'every day carry', along with a pocket (or actually neck) knife.

My clothes... my Mountain Hardwear Mesa pants (I have three pairs, one zip off) are good enough to pass as business casual and I love getting away with cargo pants instead of dress pants. And my shirts I hike in are usually shirts I get for entering races, so I run or work out in them, and often use them as undershirts under a button up shirt as well.

My gps before I got my Oregon 450 was a Garmin Forerunner wrist watch gps. I got it for running, but it works ok on the trail too and I use it hunting, hiking, paddling, etc. Can't display a topo map or anything but will identify your coordinates, waypoints, and it does record tracks.

In fact I'd say most of these items arent backpacking gear that I use every day, they are just everyday stuff I happen to take backpacking. Except of course for the backpacking specific stuff like water filters, stove, etc.

--------------
???   Shoes optional   :cool:
 Post Number: 23
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 3:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The piece of gear I use most around town is my Marmot Precip jacket. I have used my headlamp at home, and sleeping bags and pads for grandkids when we had a bunch of people visiting.

---George
 Post Number: 24
Idahobackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2013, 1:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have accumulated enough gear over the last 2 years to outfit a dozen people lol. I use different gear all year long. Pants, coats, shirts, shorts, rain gear, etc., etc.
23 replies since Sep. 24 2013, 7:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Do you use 'gear' in daily life?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions