2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Had to have a hat< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 8:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

when I stopped this afternoon.  Didn;t have a ball cap to cover my messed up hair.  What did I have in the truck?  My Tilley.  That's one good looking hat you got there.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 8:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tilleys are nice. So is the $10 Tilley knockoff I got at Walmart.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I spend small money on wal mart stuff like socks and fleeces.  I've never regretted $70 on my tilley.  It just feels good on my head,

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have something similar but this time of year I wear blaze orange hats only and I don't remember Tilleys coming in that color.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 26 2013, 8:22 pm)
 I've never regretted $70 on my tilley.  It just feels good on my head,

Ya know, I fully realize that Tilleys are an outstanding product.  They must be the way every raves about them.  But like I can't bring myself spend $50 on a merino wool t-shirt, I just can't bring myself to spend $70 on a hat, regardless of how good it is.  Maybe I'm just cheap,  maybe I'm foolish, or maybe I'm both.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
texasbb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 1:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Sep. 26 2013, 5:48 pm)
Ya know, I fully realize that Tilleys are an outstanding product.  They must be the way every raves about them.  But like I can't bring myself spend $50 on a merino wool t-shirt, I just can't bring myself to spend $70 on a hat, regardless of how good it is.  Maybe I'm just cheap,  maybe I'm foolish, or maybe I'm both.

Exactly how I feel.  Or felt, anyway.  I made the mistake of trying one on at a sports store a couple weeks ago, and I have to admit my will is weakening.  :-O
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 6:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just do it.  A better warranty than any product you'll ever buy.  Lose it, they replace it.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 7:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

$11.16:

Kakadu Traders, polyester canvas/mesh, adjusting wire in brim, foldable -- if it ain't on my head, it's folded in half on top of my pack. Not only the perfect sun hat, but works well in the rain, too.

I'm looking for a fedora just like it.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 9
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 8:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I'd pay $11 bucks for that hat and wear it hiking only.

If I were going to spring real money for a hat, it'd need to be versatile and decent-looking enough for wear in regular life. (I'm "hair challenged," so I need hats in the sun.)

No offense, Big Silk, but that's not a hat I'd ever wear in regular life--could you find anything more old-mannish?  ???
 Post Number: 10
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 8:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Proud owner of the Tilley LTM8 here.

I resisted for years, thinking it was silly to spend that much on a hat (I spent 82 bucks).  I was feeling twinges of buyers remorse as I approached the check-out stand, but those feelings vanished by the time I crossed the parking lot and got to the Jeep.

That hat has become a part of me.  

I wonder if that elephant story on the 'brag tags' is true ?  I suspect it probably is.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 11
marianr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, Tilleys have really gone up in price. I think I paid around 20$ for mine 25 years ago, though I suppose that was correspondingly a lot of money back then. They replaced the hat 10 years ago when it fell in a foul water hole filled with livestock feces and I couldn't get the stink washed out of it. The hat is still going strong. I forget which model number it is, but it has a snap-up brim on both sides, a piece of foam in the crown so it floats, a strap to tie the hat under your chin, and a little pocket in the inner crown to keep - well, I guess a fishing license or something. I love my Tilley :)
 Post Number: 12
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't shell out $70 for a Tilley, but one birthday I asked my wife for one. Best hat ever.  I wear it fishing and on all of my back country trips.  I can't kill it.  Throw it in the wash and it looks like new.  It somehow always holds it's shape even after being folded or smashed.  You will likely go through several $15 hats before you wear out a Tilley.  Not to mention the incredible warranty.  I have the LTM6.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 13
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had a Tilley for a couple years now and won't be without one especially when I'm canoeing. Yes they are a little pricey but what isn't these days. If you want quality then you have to pay for it.
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 27 2013, 6:52 am)
Lose it, they replace it.

Really?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Come on  Jer...no moral dilemma here, they are Canadian.
Go ahead and spring for one...you will not be disappointed.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Sep. 27 2013, 9:51 am)

(TDale @ Sep. 27 2013, 6:52 am)
Lose it, they replace it.

Really?

Yep.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So the one I found was replaced?

Cool. That means he wont' be looking for it.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 18
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear a BassPro version and love it.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pale imitation, tomas.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Sep. 27 2013, 8:00 am)
Yeah, I'd pay $11 bucks for that hat and wear it hiking only.

If I were going to spring real money for a hat, it'd need to be versatile and decent-looking enough for wear in regular life. (I'm "hair challenged," so I need hats in the sun.)

No offense, Big Silk, but that's not a hat I'd ever wear in regular life--could you find anything more old-mannish?  ???

It actually looks pretty good shaped 'cowboy-style.'

I usually wear fedoras when I wear hats in 'the world.'

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 21
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife tells me I don't have style in or out of the world anymore. I have truly become utility over fashion...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 22
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Sep. 27 2013, 10:29 am)
Pale imitation, tomas.

If the imitation is that good, then the original must be out of this world.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 23
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My buddy and I both have the LTM6 Airflo and after wearing them on a rafting trip through the Grand Canyon, we decided the hats were the best piece of gear we had for the trip.  A couple of months ago I bought the LTM8 Mesh Airflo.  Love both the hats.  By the way - I look damn good in either hat.  If you don't believe me about the good looking part, just ask me.  There will be no pictures.
 Post Number: 24
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's not a hat!

This is a HAT!!

http://www.sheplers.com/Larry-M....ll=true

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 25
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Sep. 27 2013, 2:43 pm)
That's not a hat!

This is a HAT!!

http://www.sheplers.com/Larry-M....ll=true

That thing has pucker price...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 26
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL

Yep, you could actually buy a nice Tilley with what you save on the sale price of that 20X Mahan!!

What a country!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sunday, no cattle hat.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am in CA right now on a borrowed laptop, but just got my first Tilley to test for BGT:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

At first it was pretty hot, and this version takes forever to dry, but now as it gets cool the hat is very nice. I will do the field review next month, but can say it is a winner in my opinion.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another skeptic won

--------------
28 replies since Sep. 26 2013, 8:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Had to have a hat
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions